Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX used vs new

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,
I'm debating between an used 2016 MX 90D vs a new display model 2018 MX 75D. The 2018 cost about 10k more, but while I'm leaning towards getting the new MX, I wanted to pick your brains on the following.
1- Resale value difference. If I sell either MX 5 years down the line, would the 2018 get 10k more than the 2016.
2- AP1 vs AP2.5. The 2018 has AP2, should that be a deal breaker?
3- and finally battery difference. The 2016 has a larger battery pack and range. After a two year degradation, do you think that the 90 and 75kwh battery capacity would be about equivalent?

Thanks so much,

Hi Folks,
I'm debating between an used 2016 MX 90D vs a new display model 2018 MX 75D. The 2018 cost about 10k more, but while I'm leaning towards getting the new MX, I wanted to pick your brains on the following.
1- Resale value difference. If I sell either MX 5 years down the line, would the 2018 get 10k more than the 2016.
3- and finally battery difference. The 2016 has a larger battery pack and range. After a two year degradation, do you think that the 90 and 75kwh battery capacity would be about equivalent?

Thanks so much,

If it is only 10k more for the 2018, that makes the 2018 a no brainer. Yes AP2.5 vs AP1 is a big deal. Not so much for the feature differences, but rather the updated and vastly faster CPU and additional cameras. Be sure to check the pricing on a new order though. It has changed recently.

Reactions: Leo Snow
Hi Folks,

Thanks so much,
On the resale department you'll always be ahead if you buy a car used, especially if you can negotiate well on the 90D with the price drop in new car MSRP. You will likely not get $10k more for the 75D in 5 years as the depreciation curve is highest in the first 2-3 years off a new car. From there on , it becomes the difference between a 5 year old car and a 7 year old car. In terms of the AP, again, both versions will likely be obsolete in a few years. That said if I was buying vs leasing, I'd probably go with the 75D due to a lack of proper history of battery care and usage on the 90D.

On the resale department you'll always be ahead if you buy a car used, especially if you can negotiate well on the 90D with the price drop in new car MSRP. You will likely not get $10k more for the 75D in 5 years as the depreciation curve is highest in the first 2-3 years off a new car. From there on , it becomes the difference between a 5 year old car and a 7 year old car. In terms of the AP, again, both versions will likely be obsolete in a few years. That said if I was buying vs leasing, I'd probably go with the 75D due to a lack of proper history of battery care and usage on the 90D.
Thanks for your insight. The used car is also sold thru Tesla, so no room for negotiating there. I would be buying for either car

I bought a used 2016 90D from Tesla in December - similar issues being weighed up.
AP1 vs 2; free supercharging, saving on a used vs new, and eventual resale price. Got a fantastic deal - fully loaded 6 seater for ~80K

Couple of things

- Tesla's used basically means they made sure the car turns on. My car had so many more scratches and issues than pictures they showed, I couldn't see car until I came to pick it up and then only choice was walk away or purchase as is.
I ended up spending $3K fixing up scratches and scrapes not pictured
The leather interior was way more worn than shown. And I know this is minor, but they hadn't even vacuumed the inside.
Probably the worst delivery of any car I have ever had - so things started on a sour note

The car had not been serviced in 2 years, so a LOT of things to fix - wind noise from windows was atrocious, shudder on acceleration etc.
Took it into Tesla Service, and warranty covered EVERYTHING - eg replaced entire window unit and glass. Granted, for first month, car in and out shop for about 4 weeks out of the first 6 weeks.

But liked the car, the free supercharging is pretty awesome.
My plan is to drive this car and see how it holds up till the warranty runs out, by then I imagine the EV market would have sorted itself out and I would have more options. In the mean time I get free supercharging for life and the warranty covers me for any issues that will prob arise

But here are the caveats the warranty does not cover :

BUT battery degradation is real!
I'm currently having aback and forth with Tesla about my battery, I currently can drive about 90 miles and go through 60% of my battery, so that's a total 100% of around 70 KW. That's more than the expected 3-5% per year drop that they throw around.
Actually not too evil for a long trip as free supercharging and breaks are ok; but terrible if you have to run around town/state for work/leisure on a given day where stopping for a 20-30 minute charge up in a supercharging station is not as convenient.
In all honesty, with winter weather, the car is more of a 120-130 mile car, than anything close to 2100, let alone the 250

Other issue that I never factored in; blind spot visibility is pretty cruddy in the MX. When i test drove the newer version, the better AP2+ made up for it; AP1 doesn't have that, Cars vanish in front of you when aligned with your font bumper and re-appear only way behind. The blind spot sensor is terrible.
Though I have just countered it by having the rear view always on but not the most elegant solution.

Whenever I got a loaner MX, it just felt much more solid and tight - I think build quality has improved a LOT. Your driving experience in a current day MX is not the same as what you will be getting in a 2016

Personally, I also love new shiny toys - so stings a little that all the new cool updates are off limits to me. And I don't mean the FSD, I don't think level 4-5 is coming anytime soon, and what AP1 has is good enough for me for now.

When this recent price drop came up, I ran the numbers, and I think I may have gone for a newer 2018 (though I would be hard pressed to get a 75)
Financially, prob better off with the 2016 (free supercharging, and someone else took the depreciation hit) but when you're spending north of 80-90K you expect some level of quality that a 2106 is less likely to give you. There is value to happiness and peace of mind

The new one for sure. AP1 is terrible if you compare it with AP 2.5. Infotainment system and maps are waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy slower. The range is about the same. 2018 has some annoying problems solved esp. with FWD.