Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 12,500 service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes - the annual service plan agreement lists wheel alignment and tire rotation, which must be done at a Service Center and cannot be done by a Ranger. And the service must be performed within 1,000 miles or 30 days of the specified maintenance intervals for the service plan.

Given that there is no service plan available in CT where I live, I'm wondering if anyone knows how much the 12,500 service costs? I'm just at 10K miles and thinking about scheduling the service soon.

It's $600 unless you bought the 4 year prepaid plan for $1,900 (which brings it down to $475/year)
If you are closer to NY, you can call the White Plains, NY service center to verify/schedule the service, if you are closer to the RI border, maybe the Watertown, MA service center is closer.

Ok, so I now have the chirping inverter. Happens when I'm using roughly between 5 kW and 15 kW of energy. Does anyone know if Tesl has found a fix for that yet? Or knows for sure what is causing it?

Not sure I'd classify my noise as chirping (though I know someone else's drive inverter (DI) that did). My DI was replaced which fixed both my DI noises and the gearbox/drone noise.

Was your DU replaced with the purpose of correcting those noises, or was it just a happy side-effect? If so, was it under warranty and how did you convince Tesla to pursue it?

I let the service folks drive the car to hear it for themselves and they immediately said it needed to be replaced, so it wasn't any effort on my part. There was also too much metal particulate in the oil for the gearbox (which to me means something was clearly grinding itself away). It was done under warranty.

I let the service folks drive the car to hear it for themselves and they immediately said it needed to be replaced, so it wasn't any effort on my part. There was also too much metal particulate in the oil for the gearbox (which to me means something was clearly grinding itself away). It was done under warranty.

We'll see with me what happens when I bring mine in next week!

Aaron

I took mine in last Thursday with both the droning noise and the whining/grinding noise that cinergi has described earlier, and they are replacing my drive unit as well. I skimmed thru some of the other posts mentioning the drive unit, but saw no description of what it is. Anyone? Just curious, and very happy this is going to be a warranty repair.

Mine has developed a drone above 65 mph, under load. Any load: it doesn't have to be above 80kW or 160 kW, as others have noted. It's very consistent and fairly unobtrusive: it appears at 65 no matter how slowly you approach it, is audible at all speeds above 65, and goes away as soon as you lift off to 0 kW. It appears to emanate from the rear of the car.

Is this the 'drive unit' issue? And by drive unit, do we mean the power inverter module, or the gearbox? My S has 14,000 miles in 11-1/2 months.

13,100 miles and $600 later...
I brought in my Model S for it's 12,500 service. Routine stuff. However, I had the droning sound above 65mph, almost from the beginning. So they went ahead and replaced the drive unit. I haven't had the chance to fully test the new motor, but I think may be doing the same thing too. Will need to test some more. Jury is still out.

Super bummer though - I purposely scheduled my appointment at 7:30am on Tuesday for the best shot at getting a Model S loaner (they only have a couple). I showed up two minutes late, and as I pulled in, another owner was driving out with the last loaner. :-( He wasn't scheduled to come in until 10am. but he decided to come in early. So they gave the loaner to him. I got the privilege of an extra 45 minute delay waiting on the opportunity to drive (for two days), a Subaru from Enterprise. UGH! Don't like how their loaner program works. I had to pay $50 deposit, and of course they try to up-sell you on their extra insurance package. Extra paper work, initial here, initial there.

I guess I'm TM spoiled now.

But found this nice, yet interesting reminder in the cabin when I picked the car up:

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4869.jpg

A happy battery is a happy life. :)

Every time I see those reminders it make me sad. I want the cover and cable bracket from the HPWC shown on the front. Tesla refuses to make me one. One of these days I'm going to hire someone to "borrow it" from the Fremont service center.

I was under the impression that leaving the battery at full charge for extended periods would have a detrimental effect on longevity....

....but here's a Tesla PSA telling you to plug your car in even when it doesn't need a charge.

Are they assuming people are setting the car charge limit to less than full? Does a fully-charged battery not accelerate degradation after all?

That insert does not make this very clear.

You can set the schedule to not charge until the early morning hours and it will still use power as needed for heating/cooling.

And yes, set the charging target to "standard" and it won't charge all the way to full.

What hurts the battery is to sit at 100% charge. The longer it sits at 100%, the worse it is. Charging 100% and then immediately driving off is fine. Charging to 100% in the afternoon and not drive it until the next day (and then doing this every day) is bad.