Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 5-month review of driving a Model 3 that I have decided is not for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a long-time contributor of openpilot, I've driven with the OSS stack across a Prius Prime and Rav 4 before switching to a Model 3 as I was curious what autonomy looked like on the other side of the pond.

Once the initial novelty wore off of all of the features and easter eggs, the actual day-to-day life didn't jive well with me. Autopilot is miles behind the quality of openpilot. Phantom braking, reliance on lane lines, weird driver monitoring (op uses a camera for attention tracking, wheel touch isn't required). The best way I can summarize Autopilot is very confident, especially when incorrect. I think there's a deeper uncanny valley when using the system compared to openpilot and even Toyota LTA. Less room for error and more just going with what the car is doing. It's hard to describe.

Never used FSD, even though I met the requirements last enrollment period. I think it's dumb to focus on the 5% use case when Autopilot/highway is the 95% use case and where you get most benefit, IMO. Autopilot feels abandoned and it could be so much better. But when you have a CEO who constantly lies to stock scam FSD and Robotaxi every year... kinda paints yourself into the corner.

My speakers and mic stop working when driving through a car wash sometimes, or during heavy rain. My left seat belt pillar just came off when getting in the car one day and it's made of this thin, paperboard like material that refuses to snap back in correctly. A/C often just blows at my feet when turning the car on, climate keeper is often not working due to a "system fault". The car has 10k miles.

I think the car is cool in some aspects. The acceleration is nice, it looks nice from an aesthetic level. Some people may like all the attention they get in public driving it "OOOH is that a TESLA?!", but as someone who dislikes Elon Musk, it kinda makes me feel like a tool.

The Chevy Bolt, at least the 2017 I had was more enjoyable in some ways. The seats sucked, until I modded them and added more foam. But the price was much lower, the acceleration was adequate, and the range was comparable. openpilot works on the bolt, although I never installed it. Never used supercruise. The interior is plastic everywhere and cheap feeling, but the car had some character to me. As an electric car, I miss it.

Tesla service is meh.. the advisors really seem to have an attitude, but so would I having to deal with rabid customers spamming forum links, self-diagnosing. I think the most irritating part is hearing of other customers getting free things like fixed repeater cameras that work for blind spot usage at night, then being quoted a cash price as "they don't offer that". Having them come to your house is cool, though.

I think, overall, Tesla should really, actually make a $30k model with decent range like the Bolt. The "luxury" segment isn't quite there due to quality issues and I can have better than Autopilot "self driving" for the cost of a used 2017 Prius, or Rav, or many other supported cars and openpilot, which is open source. I think FSD is dumb and feels like a stock scam at best, and I think that after several years of hardcore vehicle autonomy usage in general, it's made me a worse driver with slower reflexes (the same thing happens to pilots due to overreliance on aircraft autopilot).

Overall, there's a part of me that will be sad to see the Model 3 go tomorrow, but also a relief that one of the most unreliable cars I've driven will no longer be a $1,000 payment on credit. I just picked up a Jeep Gladiator and I'm loving it, even though I don't think there could be a car that could be more of a polar opposite.. even if the Jeep is only 600lbs heavier.

downloadfile.jpg

There's a reason Jeep reliability is consistently ranked as LOW. You may have had good reliability from yours, apparently your experience is not representative of the brand as a whole.
I hear the same story over and over from friends and being on Jeep forums for years that they are pretty good. I certainly seen issues on first year refreshes, I avoid those.

I also think that JD powers ranking is a joke. It ranks the type of people that buy certain type cars. Not the cars themselves. I’ve seen for example huge spread between say Chevy and Buick, they are the same cars !!!

I hear the same story over and over from friends and being on Jeep forums for years that they are pretty good. I certainly seen issues on first year refreshes, I avoid those.

I also think that JD powers ranking is a joke. It ranks the type of people that buy certain type cars. Not the cars themselves. I’ve seen for example huge spread between say Chevy and Buick, they are the same cars !!!
Well if it's a case of "I reject your facts and substitute my own opinion". You go do you....

Nice roll of the dice for you then. I've had more jeeps than you and everyone has been a POS that spent more time at the dealer than in my garage.

Sorry for your bad luck. My experience has been the polar opposite. Same with family members who own Jeeps.

15 years of driving Jeeps without issue is more than enough to keep me happy. Interestingly, I had two 4Runners before I switched to Jeep and both of them had issues. Nothing earth shattering, but still notable.

Sorry for your bad luck. My experience has been the polar opposite. Same with family members who own Jeeps.

15 years of driving Jeeps without issue is more than enough to keep me happy. Interestingly, I had two 4Runners before I switched to Jeep and both of them had issues. Nothing earth shattering, but still notable.
Isn't that crazy, because I've always had stellar luck w/ Toyotas. I guess it's all in which particular vehicle you happen to get.

In my experience, the only cars that get vandalised because of some political beliefs are large 4x4….like…I don’t know…a Jeep

I've never had any vehicle I've owned get vandalized. I guess I can consider myself lucky. But in all honestly, I've seen hundreds of videos of Teslas being vandalized for no apparent reason other than angry people who don't like electric cars, I suppose. I guess the Sentry system makes it easy to capture video of these idiotic morons.

You could probably challenge every part of the OP post...although bearing in mind that he has a legitimate opinion and expresses it well...I will take on the point about whether Tesla should make a cheap car..
Tesla started like all wannabe car makers by making a niche highly expensive exotic, most newcomers stop there but Tesla went on to make a family saloon (albeit a very expensive family saloon) the S...then the M3 and Y...now if the M3/Y was a success, they would have probably gone on to make a $25k car (pre covid prices)..instead they were a sales phenomenon...Elon literary cannot churn out giga factories to churn out M3/Y fast enough...so the M3 has become the low cost market entry for Tesla. And I think that, before covid shortages, Ukraine, inflation etc the Model 3 was very reasonably priced.

if you are lovin’ a Jeep Gladiator obviously a Tesla model 3 isn’t meant for you..
I've been a long-time contributor of openpilot, I've driven with the OSS stack across a Prius Prime and Rav 4 before switching to a Model 3 as I was curious what autonomy looked like on the other side of the pond.

Once the initial novelty wore off of all of the features and easter eggs, the actual day-to-day life didn't jive well with me. Autopilot is miles behind the quality of openpilot. Phantom braking, reliance on lane lines, weird driver monitoring (op uses a camera for attention tracking, wheel touch isn't required). The best way I can summarize Autopilot is very confident, especially when incorrect. I think there's a deeper uncanny valley when using the system compared to openpilot and even Toyota LTA. Less room for error and more just going with what the car is doing. It's hard to describe.

Never used FSD, even though I met the requirements last enrollment period. I think it's dumb to focus on the 5% use case when Autopilot/highway is the 95% use case and where you get most benefit, IMO. Autopilot feels abandoned and it could be so much better. But when you have a CEO who constantly lies to stock scam FSD and Robotaxi every year... kinda paints yourself into the corner.

My speakers and mic stop working when driving through a car wash sometimes, or during heavy rain. My left seat belt pillar just came off when getting in the car one day and it's made of this thin, paperboard like material that refuses to snap back in correctly. A/C often just blows at my feet when turning the car on, climate keeper is often not working due to a "system fault". The car has 10k miles.

I think the car is cool in some aspects. The acceleration is nice, it looks nice from an aesthetic level. Some people may like all the attention they get in public driving it "OOOH is that a TESLA?!", but as someone who dislikes Elon Musk, it kinda makes me feel like a tool.

The Chevy Bolt, at least the 2017 I had was more enjoyable in some ways. The seats sucked, until I modded them and added more foam. But the price was much lower, the acceleration was adequate, and the range was comparable. openpilot works on the bolt, although I never installed it. Never used supercruise. The interior is plastic everywhere and cheap feeling, but the car had some character to me. As an electric car, I miss it.

Tesla service is meh.. the advisors really seem to have an attitude, but so would I having to deal with rabid customers spamming forum links, self-diagnosing. I think the most irritating part is hearing of other customers getting free things like fixed repeater cameras that work for blind spot usage at night, then being quoted a cash price as "they don't offer that". Having them come to your house is cool, though.

I think, overall, Tesla should really, actually make a $30k model with decent range like the Bolt. The "luxury" segment isn't quite there due to quality issues and I can have better than Autopilot "self driving" for the cost of a used 2017 Prius, or Rav, or many other supported cars and openpilot, which is open source. I think FSD is dumb and feels like a stock scam at best, and I think that after several years of hardcore vehicle autonomy usage in general, it's made me a worse driver with slower reflexes (the same thing happens to pilots due to overreliance on aircraft autopilot).

Overall, there's a part of me that will be sad to see the Model 3 go tomorrow, but also a relief that one of the most unreliable cars I've driven will no longer be a $1,000 payment on credit. I just picked up a Jeep Gladiator and I'm loving it, even though I don't think there could be a car that could be more of a polar opposite.. even if the Jeep is only 600lbs heavier.

View attachment 841987
i

View attachment 841987
If you are lovin a Jeep Gladiator, it is obvious that a Tesla isn’t meant for you..

Reactions: nero71
Man...I've owned Mercedes, BMWs, Audis, Lexus, Cadillacs, Corvettes, and a whole host of cheaper vehicles (including a Grand Cherokee, which actually DID suck). Of all the owners I've encountered, Tesla owners - for some reason - are BY FAR the most snobbish. I'm sure there's some phycological reason behind the way many Tesla owners react to these types of posts, I just haven't figured it out yet. Nevertheless, these threads are always funny to me because from the first post you can predict what the outcome will be - and it's always the same.

Jeep makes a plug-in hybrid Wrangler now. Same with the Grand Cherokee. They call them 4xe (instead of 4x4). It won't be long before they'll go all electric.
I had someone come by and pick up something I sold on Craigslist with one. For a wrangler, it was pretty nice. He said he gave up waiting for a CT.

Like I said, they are great on the beach or off road. But I do most driving on the highway. And they are just horrible for that. A mini hummer. Doesn’t matter how electric it gets. Grand Cherokees we’re pretty nice. The last one I had was a Summit. I didn’t realize how bad Grand Cherokee handled (and dangerous) after owning a few Tesla’s. Because I owned both for a bit. I felt not safe over 50 mph. I’m sure wranglers are worse. And with a rag top, I’d rather take my bike (as in bicycle).

I had someone come by and pick up something I sold on Craigslist with one. For a wrangler, it was pretty nice. He said he gave up waiting for a CT.

Like I said, they are great on the beach or off road. But I do most driving on the highway. And they are just horrible for that. A mini hummer. Doesn’t matter how electric it gets. Grand Cherokees we’re pretty nice. The last one I had was a Summit. I didn’t realize how bad Grand Cherokee handled (and dangerous) after owning a few Tesla’s. Because I owned both for a bit. I felt not safe over 50 mph. I’m sure wranglers are worse. And with a rag top, I’d rather take my bike (as in bicycle).
Yeah, used ones and "death wobble" is a real concern. I bought mine new with an extended warranty, so I'm not worried too much.

I also work from home and don't put many miles on my cars. When you RV, you see Jeeps everywhere as most people get them to flat tow. I paused at getting a smart due to the wheel base, you gotta use bungee cords to keep the wheels somewhat straight when flat towing it.

We plan on heading west once we go full-time this fall! Moab, UT sounds fun, along with some good off-roading. We also get some pretty gnarly snow here in the midwest. Sad I won't be able to experience the M3's AWD in snow, I bet it would have been fun

My brother bought a VW Atlas when they first came out. His Atlas went back to the dealer after 2 weeks for engine replacement, which was well known issue.
My partner was remarking around how engine and car designers have such a hard time when cars have been around for 100 years. I replied with something about variable valve timing and figuring out better economy as engines progress, but then got to ranting about how the US automakers prevented their odometers from going over 99,999 miles until the Japanese imports started to massively outperform in terms of reliability and they were forced to change.

I think the real answer is even Tesla has to build to a cost at a certain point. The 2017 Bolt MSRP'd starting at $37,495 and the interior was made of the stuff of nightmares. Uncomfortable seats, hard plastic everywhere. All of the build cost went into batteries and the electric drivetrain. I read an article earlier today about how bad the Ford Lightning infotainment system is and that they are partnering with Google to go full Android. My Bolt's infotainment and electronics was built by LG as Chevy has no hope in hell building their own software. Tesla can't compete with other 50-60k car makers because electric drivetrains and batteries are expensive. It's a wonder they've been able to do as much as they could with what they have, really.

I think Tesla has a lot of potential to do software well.. I just wish they'd focus more on quality. I'm not the only person to have weird climate control issues, plenty of the weird A/C blowing on your feet and climate keeper issues with a forum search. I had an estimate and scheduled service visit before selling the car, they were going to replace the interior temp sensor and a wiring harness for the speaker issue; could have fixed it, but again, plenty of forum posts of people where service just kinda gave up and chalked it up to software issues.

I was a year before warranty expired, though and can't imagine the cost of paying out of warranty. I think it's going to be a wakeup call as we start to see more "modern" Teslas expire out of warranty as you can't exactly just take it into the local shop. Issues like the rear camera harness recall due to rubbing will pop up, I think, and while no automaker is excluded from things like this, it just felt like my issues were a little too frequent for the mileage and age of the car. I've had zero issues from a new Prius Prime, used Rav 4 with 30k, and I just replaced spark plugs on my partner's Jeep Compass with 94k miles with the crappy CVT.

Long story short, I was curious about Autopilot after using Openpilot for so many years and wasn't impressed with the quality of the autonomy. I think Nav on AP is cool and auto lane change was pretty sweet, they would make great additions to OP and they are working on it (vehicle specific hardware dependent). I don't think it's worth $200 a month for it, though, it should come included with the AP package. Even Toyota has LTA (even if it is crappy) and has adaptive cruise and lane keep on virtually all of their cars now, for "free".

I just don't know how FSD would ever be super comfortable or where the value is there in spending so many resources and dev efforts on it. I think it's cool for a car to be able to do city driving, but I'd much rather have the car take care of itself on the highway, especially during traffic jams so I can chill and relax a bit. Until FSD can 100% take over and you can take a nap, I think that the car doing big turns would feel rather uncomfortable, at least to me and the state of where I know autonomy actually is right now.

I just wish Elon would quit lying. Either he's burnt out and seriously believes that FSD is next year, every year or it's deliberate lie to keep the hype machine going. Either should be a bit suspicious to investors, but it's not like that group has had common sense for a long time now. And well, honestly, the customers, too. I think that Teslas are cool and helped set the electric car trend, SpaceX is doing cool stuff and Starlink is amazing, but I just couldn't buy into the hype and overlook everything else. Only so much rainbow road with moar cowbell can continue to put a smile on my face for how much I was paying.

Last edited:
Yeah, used ones and "death wobble" is a real concern. I bought mine new with an extended warranty, so I'm not worried too much.

I also work from home and don't put many miles on my cars. When you RV, you see Jeeps everywhere as most people get them to flat tow. I paused at getting a smart due to the wheel base, you gotta use bungee cords to keep the wheels somewhat straight when flat towing it.

We plan on heading west once we go full-time this fall! Moab, UT sounds fun, along with some good off-roading. We also get some pretty gnarly snow here in the midwest. Sad I won't be able to experience the M3's AWD in snow, I bet it would have been fun
I put 230K on my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Model 3 AWD wasn’t that great in snow. It normally drives only the rear wheels unless your accelerating. Model X is way better and just as good as my Jeep GC ever was. Good clearance too. Not sure on Model S Refresh yet. Not sure if biased changed and clearance my be an issue. We’ll see.

View attachment 841987
European autopilot is basically rubbish except for highway/autobahn.

Status
Not open for further replies.