Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 5-month review of driving a Model 3 that I have decided is not for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a long-time contributor of openpilot, I've driven with the OSS stack across a Prius Prime and Rav 4 before switching to a Model 3 as I was curious what autonomy looked like on the other side of the pond.

Once the initial novelty wore off of all of the features and easter eggs, the actual day-to-day life didn't jive well with me. Autopilot is miles behind the quality of openpilot. Phantom braking, reliance on lane lines, weird driver monitoring (op uses a camera for attention tracking, wheel touch isn't required). The best way I can summarize Autopilot is very confident, especially when incorrect. I think there's a deeper uncanny valley when using the system compared to openpilot and even Toyota LTA. Less room for error and more just going with what the car is doing. It's hard to describe.

Never used FSD, even though I met the requirements last enrollment period. I think it's dumb to focus on the 5% use case when Autopilot/highway is the 95% use case and where you get most benefit, IMO. Autopilot feels abandoned and it could be so much better. But when you have a CEO who constantly lies to stock scam FSD and Robotaxi every year... kinda paints yourself into the corner.

My speakers and mic stop working when driving through a car wash sometimes, or during heavy rain. My left seat belt pillar just came off when getting in the car one day and it's made of this thin, paperboard like material that refuses to snap back in correctly. A/C often just blows at my feet when turning the car on, climate keeper is often not working due to a "system fault". The car has 10k miles.

I think the car is cool in some aspects. The acceleration is nice, it looks nice from an aesthetic level. Some people may like all the attention they get in public driving it "OOOH is that a TESLA?!", but as someone who dislikes Elon Musk, it kinda makes me feel like a tool.

The Chevy Bolt, at least the 2017 I had was more enjoyable in some ways. The seats sucked, until I modded them and added more foam. But the price was much lower, the acceleration was adequate, and the range was comparable. openpilot works on the bolt, although I never installed it. Never used supercruise. The interior is plastic everywhere and cheap feeling, but the car had some character to me. As an electric car, I miss it.

Tesla service is meh.. the advisors really seem to have an attitude, but so would I having to deal with rabid customers spamming forum links, self-diagnosing. I think the most irritating part is hearing of other customers getting free things like fixed repeater cameras that work for blind spot usage at night, then being quoted a cash price as "they don't offer that". Having them come to your house is cool, though.

I think, overall, Tesla should really, actually make a $30k model with decent range like the Bolt. The "luxury" segment isn't quite there due to quality issues and I can have better than Autopilot "self driving" for the cost of a used 2017 Prius, or Rav, or many other supported cars and openpilot, which is open source. I think FSD is dumb and feels like a stock scam at best, and I think that after several years of hardcore vehicle autonomy usage in general, it's made me a worse driver with slower reflexes (the same thing happens to pilots due to overreliance on aircraft autopilot).

Overall, there's a part of me that will be sad to see the Model 3 go tomorrow, but also a relief that one of the most unreliable cars I've driven will no longer be a $1,000 payment on credit. I just picked up a Jeep Gladiator and I'm loving it, even though I don't think there could be a car that could be more of a polar opposite.. even if the Jeep is only 600lbs heavier.

downloadfile.jpg

I have a 2021 LR Model 3. It is driven about 3000 miles a month. It currently has 32k miles on it and I have only had to rotate the tires, vacuum out the debris from the top of the cooling radiator/heat exchanger and refill the windshield wiper fluid. I had new Conti ExtremeContact tires installed two weeks ago. 99% of my charging is at home with a Tesla Wall Charger. Best daily driver ever.

>> "My left seat belt pillar just came off when getting in the car one day.."
Same issue happened to me. I couldn't snap it back on. Made a service center appointment and they fixed it and it seems like it is more secure than before.
>> "Phantom braking"
Use to happen all the time on two lane highways so I couldn't use AutoPilot. The latest software updates starting in about March 22 seemed to solve the issue. I haven't had a phantom braking issue in a long time.

I am on a business trip with a 22 Toyota Highlander with all the Toyota driver assistance features. Lane Tracing Assistance, LTA, seems to micro adjust the steering wheel often giving the feeling that the car is not sure of itself. I do like the fact that I don't have to provide as much resistance on the steering wheel as Tesla AutoPilot. LTA also works better when there are no lights at night.

Reactions: timberlights
I had someone come by and pick up something I sold on Craigslist with one. For a wrangler, it was pretty nice. He said he gave up waiting for a CT.

Like I said, they are great on the beach or off road. But I do most driving on the highway. And they are just horrible for that. A mini hummer. Doesn’t matter how electric it gets. Grand Cherokees we’re pretty nice. The last one I had was a Summit. I didn’t realize how bad Grand Cherokee handled (and dangerous) after owning a few Tesla’s. Because I owned both for a bit. I felt not safe over 50 mph. I’m sure wranglers are worse. And with a rag top, I’d rather take my bike (as in bicycle).

Hvae you driven the newest Wrangler? I haven't, but a lot of people are saying that they are much more car like they previous generations. Some people even say that they hate it like that.

And sure, an SUV like a Grand Cherokee isn't going to handle like a car. My Audi can easily take curves at two or three times the speed of my Grand Cherokee. But that's expected witha 5,000+ pound SUV with 9" of ground clearance, a soft air suspension, and high profile tires. I adjsut my driving every time I switch cars.

Last edited:
Hvae you driven the newest Wrangler? I haven't, but a lot of people are saying that they are much more car like they previous generations. Some people even say that they hate it like that.

And sure, an SUV like a Grand Cherokee isn't going to handle like a car. My Audi can easily take curves at two or three times the speed of my Grand Cherokee. But that's expected witha 5,000+ pound SUV with 9" of ground clearance, a soft air suspension, and low profile tires. I adjsut my driving every time I switch cars.
Model X SUV handles way better than Grand Cherokee. Similar weight, similar clearance, similar capacity, both have air suspension. And no, it’s not just the tires.

Model X SUV handles way better than Grand Cherokee. Similar weight, similar clearance, similar capacity, both have air suspension. And no, it’s not just the tires.

LOL, I meant to say high profile tires. Nobody said it's just the tires. And no, the Model X is nowhere near the same. It's got like 5" of ground clearnance, much more similar to a car. My Jeep goes from about 9" of ground clearance to a bit over 11" inches of ground clearnace on the highest setting. Or to put it another way----my Jeep on it's lowest suspenstion setting is still higher than a Model X on it's highest suspension setting.

The Jeep is made for offroad, the X is not. The X is essentially a car and has no real offroad capability. That's the main reason it handles better. Plus, all the weight is down low in the X, giving it a low center of gravity....just like a car.

Anyway, the point here is that if someone expects a Jeep to handle good, then they don't understand the purpose of a Jeep. It's not made for handling, just like any other offroad vehicle. You claim they are unsafe, yet there are hundreds of thousands of them on the roads all over the world and people are managing to drive them just fine. Thanks for the drama....lol

Last edited:
LOL, I meant to say high profile tires. Nobody said it's just the tires. And no, the Model X is nowhere near the same. It's got like 5" of ground clearnance, much more similar to a car. My Jeep goes from about 9" of ground clearance to a bit over 11" inches of ground clearnace on the highest setting. Or to put it another way----my Jeep on it's lowest suspenstion setting is still higher than a Model X on it's highest suspension setting.

The Jeep is made for offroad, the X is not. The X is essentially a car and has no real offroad capability. That's the main reason it handles better. Plus, all the weight is down low in the X, giving it a low center of gravity....just like a car.

Anyway, the point here is that if someone expects a Jeep to handle good, then they don't understand the purpose of a Jeep. It's not made for handling, just like any other offroad vehicle.
Model X is from 6 to 8 and I kept it in the middle. Jeep is 8 to 11 and I probably kept it on 8 (lowest). So yeah, ~1” difference.

The main difference is center of gravity.

Model X is from 6 to 8 and I kept it in the middle. Jeep is 8 to 11 and I probably kept it on 8 (lowest). So yeah, ~1” difference.

The main difference is center of gravity.

Since you like to cherry pick, let's look at the numbers:

Model X: 5.4" to 8.1" suspension range
Grand Cherokee: 8.7" to 11.3" suspension range.

Again, at the lowest setting, the Jeep is still more than half an inch higher than the X in it's highest setting. And you can't "keep" the X in any particular setting because it lowers with speed. On the highway, you're going to be at the lower setting no matter what. Same is true for the Jeep.

And yes, center of gravity makes a difference. I already mentioned that....but what I didn't mention specifically is suspension articulation. Jeep has quite a bit, the X simply does not. Again, this is a characteristic of a vehicle made to have the capability of driving offroad vs a vehicle made strictly for the road.

If you want to see the handling characterists of a Grand Cherokee made strictly for the road, look no further than the SRT version. It's lower, no air suspension, fatter tires, tighter suspension, etc... I'm quite sure it will handle very much like an X because that's what it's made to do.

Last edited:
Since you like to cherry pick, let's look at the numbers:

Model X: 5.4" to 8.1" suspension range
Grand Cherokee: 8.7" to 11.3" suspension range.

Again, at the lowest setting, the Jeep is still more than half an inch higher than the X in it's highest setting. And you can't "keep" the X in any particular setting because it lowers with speed. On the highway, you're going to be at the lower setting no matter what. Same is true for the Jeep.

And yes, center of gravity makes a difference. I already mentioned that....but what I didn't mention specifically is suspension articulation. Jeep has quite a bit, the X simply does not. Again, this is a characteristic of a vehicle made to have the capability of driving offroad vs a vehicle made strictly for the road.

If you want to see the handling characterists of a Grand Cherokee made strictly for the road, look no further than the SRT version. It's lower, no air suspension, fatter tires, tighter suspension, etc... I'm quite sure it will handle very much like an X because that's what it's made to do.
This conversation is getting silly.

Teslas have a huge advantage with low center of gravity. Regardless of tires, height, weight or suspension. Apples to Apples they will always win.

I do not like the CEO and still love the car. heck we even have 2 Teslas now the family.

your review does not make any sense. Enjoy your reliable well built Jeep.

I think his post makes sense.

I think a huge reason he swapped out is he wants to flat tow behind his RV. He can’t with Tesla, he can with Jeep.

He also makes a good point that the open source OpenPilot (essentially free software) even comes close to Teslas $12K AutoPilot (plus some % you pay for what’s in the car, probably more like $16k cost to consumer) that is now 8 years into development.

I think his post makes sense.

I think a huge reason he swapped out is he wants to flat tow behind his RV. He can’t with Tesla, he can with Jeep.

He also makes a good point that the open source OpenPilot (essentially free software) even comes close to Teslas $12K AutoPilot (plus some % you pay for what’s in the car, probably more like $16k cost to consumer) that is now 8 years into development.
no argument about I need to have towing caplities thus the model 3 or any other sedan in that sense won't work.

But the rest of the review and trying to lump sump issues from FSD to other minor quality issues to make his decision does not make sense. If you need to tow an RV and you have the best car that has zero issues but it does not allow you to do that then it is not the vechile for you.

I have always liked Elon and still do but I didn't buy a Tesla because of him I bought it because it a great car that runs on clean energy.

I do not like the CEO and still love the car. heck we even have 2 Teslas now the family.

your review does not make any sense. Enjoy your reliable well built Jeep.

Yeah I think Elon is a clown but for my situation it wasn't going to prevent me from owning one of his cars as it's not like me avoiding Tesla is punishing him in any way.

Reactions: Brou
Yeah I think Elon is a clown but for my situation it wasn't going to prevent me from owning one of his cars as it's not like me avoiding Tesla is punishing him in any way.
I think that we have to accept that Elon is a high functioning person with Aspergers (or at least ‘on the spectrum’)...and we should make allowances for that...what we may define as ‘asshole behavior’ may not register with someone with that condition...I think that instead we should concentrate on the positive side, his high functioning is his superpower...and it’s changing the world, just like it already has changed our lives.
If you want to find true EVIL in a car manufacturer there are many to choose from...Porsche and Ford to name but two

There are always both sides and opinions.
I like Elon and his view on freedom of speech. Does that mean I worship Elon? No. I am sure there are some aspects of him that I don't like..
I'm not sure why some people are so worked up about him. Is that because he hurt feelings of some virtual people on Twitter?
I also want to know what kind of harm he caused personally to you, so you hate him so much. :cool:

Doesn’t the Bolt had big batteries issues....​
Chevrolet has been replacing the main li-ion batteries for 2017+ Chevrolet Bolts within the last year. The replacements are improved versions that should resolve the safety concern. If you know of someone who has one of those cars and who hasn't received a replacement main battery yet, you should let them know that it's available (for free) and that their vehicle may be included in the replacement main battery program.

If that's the case they won't be able to keep up. Hell, Elon is already giving props to Kia/Hyundai on Twitter. Over the last two years Tesla's EV market share in the U.S. has dropped from 80 to 68%. The best thing going for Tesla right now is RELATIVELY short wait times. As wait times for non-Teslas continue to decrease so will Tesla's market share. If they don't make any changes over the next decade they will go the way of Pontiac.
Of course market share will go down as others start selling more EV. Tesla used to be the only game in town. This has nothing to do with overall sales though.

There are always both sides and opinions.
I like Elon and his view on freedom of speech. Does that mean I worship Elon? No. I am sure there are some aspects of him that I don't like..
I'm not sure why some people are so worked up about him. Is that because he hurt feelings of some virtual people on Twitter?
I also want to know what kind of harm he caused personally to you, so you hate him so much. :cool:
I think that there are many people out there who have made ten times their money with Elon and Tesla shares...but are truly angry because they think Elon’s words and actions have cost them eleven times their original investment

I think that we have to accept that Elon is a high functioning person with Aspergers (or at least ‘on the spectrum’)...and we should make allowances for that...what we may define as ‘asshole behavior’ may not register with someone with that condition...I think that instead we should concentrate on the positive side, his high functioning is his superpower...and it’s changing the world, just like it already has changed our lives.
If you want to find true EVIL in a car manufacturer there are many to choose from...Porsche and Ford to name but two

I didn't know that about him. That does explain some things. I once inadvertently recruited a kid with Asperger's. His "superpowers" were collecting soda can pull tabs to add to his necklace and memorizing every military ribbon/medal ever created. I guess we lucked out with Elon's superpower.

I didn't know that about him. That does explain some things. I once inadvertently recruited a kid with Asperger's. His "superpowers" were collecting soda can pull tabs to add to his necklace and memorizing every military ribbon/medal ever created. I guess we lucked out with Elon's superpower.

Yes...the trick is to be high functioning..like Rainman...unfortunately I don’t think it’s as common as Hollywood might depict

Status
Not open for further replies.