Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Auto-park malfunctioned and Tesla denied it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This task involved determining whether Autopark was engaged or not. I trust the computor logs over human recall. For more complex tasks, you are correct. But computors are closing the gap silly fast. The improvements I've seen in EAP over just the previous 8 months have been stupendous.
If you trust computer 100% then you are not an IT guy or you don't know much about the computer.

If you trust computer 100% then you are not an IT guy or you don't know much about the computer.

I trust a computer to tell me if Autopark was active more than I trust the human operating it. In other words, Tesla should have denied that your Auto-park malfunctioned. To accept it would have been to trust your account more than their computer logs. That would be the definition of foolish.

I trust a computer to tell me if Autopark was active more than I trust the human operating it. In other words, Tesla should have denied that your Auto-park malfunctioned. To accept it would have been to trust your account more than their computer logs. That would be the definition of foolish.
If you have read my previous posts I said I will request Tesla to have further look into the logs. Anyway I appreciate your comments and will see how Tesla come back to me.

First of all, thank you for writing the long notes. But what you have said is plain wrong with regards to what have happened to me. The "start" button did pop up twice and I pressed it when it showed up the second time. If it's unintended behavior, then it's a bug of the feature. That probably explained why Tesla guys didn't see the alert from the logs. But it doesn't mean it worked as intended. I thought they could lie initially, but after someone said it could be the case the alerts are not captured by the system, then I believed what he said but now I'm asking for more information from Tesla. As to witness, she couldn't prove if it's autopark engaged, but she did notice how it moved that's not typically how human being drove to park the car.
The point is that the start button would only disappear if you started to move. Maybe you stopped briefly enough the second time to have it appear again, only to have it disappear just as you went to touch it. I don't know. I am only providing plausible explanations for what you say you did and observed. So far your explanations are much less plausible.

Reactions: StealthP3D
The point is that the start button would only disappear if you started to move. Maybe you stopped briefly enough the second time to have it appear again, only to have it disappear just as you went to touch it. I don't know. I am only providing plausible explanations for what you say you did and observed. So far your explanations are much less plausible.
Again you believed the autopark will always work as it's intended and if that's the case there won't be many reports of failure of the function and autopilot as whole resulting in many lawsuits. Your comments are not as reasonable as a normal person who has a fair judgment.

Again you believed the autopark will always work as it's intended and if that's the case there won't be many reports of failure of the function and autopilot as whole resulting in many lawsuits. Your comments are not as reasonable as a normal person who has a fair judgment.

You are proving my observation that the human mind always wants to be right. We are not arguing whether Autopark worked as intended, we are saying we believe the computer logs show it was never engaged to begin with.

You are proving my observation that the human mind always wants to be right. We are not arguing whether Autopark worked as intended, we are saying we believe the computer logs show it was never engaged to begin with.
Then let's stop arguing this case as neither of us are wrong. I have said the "start" button showed up twice and I pressed it in the second time and then hands off the steering and foot removed from brake pedal. I have also immediately pressed the speaker button on the wheel to report to Tesla the incident.

Blue wheel and cruise indicator on the IC. That's very obvious. But you have to know to look there. You can't just use a feature like this without doing your homework.

Exactly. Cars are not toys and the operator shouldn't blame the manufacturer when they haven't even read the manual and have no idea how to tell who is in control of the car.

There really is no way to spin this that doesn't leave the blame on the operator. Because whether the Autopark was engaged or not, it's the operator's job to maintain control of the vehicle. That will be true until a manufacturer releases a car with a fully autonomous mode.

I suspect that eventually, auto insurance companies will go out of business (good riddance) and the manufacturer will assume that role. Or maybe not since cars will still need to be covered against non-accident losses. But the manufacturers could move into that role to broaden their revenue base. Because who is better equipped to repair or replace a car than the manufacturer?

Blue wheel and cruise indicator on the IC. That's very obvious. But you have to know to look there. You can't just use a feature like this without doing your homework.

Not really enough, especially when you might be looking around at the surroundings, watching for obstacles and pedestrians etc.

A repeating tone would be good.

Not really enough, especially when you might be looking around at the surroundings, watching for obstacles and pedestrians etc.

A repeating tone would be good.

Not sure this would be useful. There are already repeating tones going off when parking within a few feet of a potential obstacle from the distance warning system. Any more would be overload.

If you are moving (as you imply in this case), "start" would not show up again. Instead "not this time" would appear. Are you certain you didn't confirm "not this time?"

I would argue that the existence of such a button is a design flaw. If you don't want to auto-park, you just park manually. Almost nobody is ever going to tap a button to tell it to not auto-park while they are parking. I mean, I guess it would be okay to have a close button in the corner of the pop-up in case you absolutely must have access to your media controls during those few seconds or something, but really, that button shouldn't even exist. It's a bad UI decision.

Not sure this would be useful. There are already repeating tones going off when parking within a few feet of a potential obstacle from the distance warning system. Any more would be overload.

That's the problem, the tones only work when you are in certain modes, and when danger is imminent. Mode confusion is the cause of many accidents.

What's wrong with simply watching the ultrasonic sensor data in the IC, it's giving you distance in inches. Act when closure is less than 10" and practice all the time, don't make it your first time autoparking to place a claim against anybody.

When every I park I have my eyes moving between the sensor display and outside world looking for conflicts. I love the way the sensor display shows the shape of the obstacle. I only wish they had some sensors on the side mirrors, since I get pretty close to taking those off sometimes.