Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Auto-park malfunctioned and Tesla denied it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We can pull logs if there is an open work order while it's in for service. If they found no alerts present during that time then it really is a weird glitch. They aren't calling you a liar. Issues happen and sometimes an alert isn't present. If we don't see an alert, we might not know which direction to take.
You sound like working for Tesla, right? I really wanted to ask for additional investigation by Tesla but don't know where to start with. Would you be willing to share with me how to proceed from here? It's highly appreciated.

It is the drivers responsibilty to monitor auto park. If you get too close for comfort you must take control and apply the brakes.
At the moment I'm not asking for who's taking responsibility. I just need to have the proof that the Auto-park is engaged when the incident happened, which is required by my auto insurance or I will be at risk to pay higher premium cost and also having a DMV record of accident.

You sound like working for Tesla, right? I really wanted to ask for additional investigation by Tesla but don't know where to start with. Would you be willing to share with me how to proceed from here? It's highly appreciated.
Don't know who you would need to talk to, but since it is a driving aid Tesla still can't cover it.

It will be cheaper to pay out of pocket than the insurance premium going up and now a Dmv report

Don't know who you would need to talk to, but since it is a driving aid Tesla still can't cover it.
I wasn't planning to hold Tesla responsible and just simply want to have the proof that the auto-park was engaged during the incident. That's all I need in order for me to save my driving records, avoid being subject to paying more insurance premium, and to the less extend, to get the $1K deductible back from my insurance company. After that, it's the matter of my insurance company to talk to Tesla about the financial terms.

I wasn't planning to hold Tesla responsible and just simply want to have the proof that the auto-park was engaged during the incident. That's all I need in order for me to save my driving records, avoid being subject to paying more insurance premium, and to the less extend, to get the $1K deductible back from my insurance company. After that, it's the matter of my insurance company to talk to Tesla about the financial terms.
Let's just say you obtain "proof". You show your insurance. They call tesla. Tesla says autopilot is in beta testing, is a driver aid, and the user assumes all responsibility for damage and here is the window the customer pressed accepting those terms. Now your insurance comes back at you for payment and you're back to square one.

This is why others have said the same thing in this thread. At the end of the day it's a driving aid. I'm not trying to blame you, I just know how insurance companies work.

Reactions: StealthP3D

It will be cheaper to pay out of pocket than the insurance premium going up and now a Dmv report
Do you mean to have myself to cover all of body repair costs? it's $5K total costs and caused by
Let's just say you obtain "proof". You show your insurance. They call tesla. Tesla says autopilot is in beta testing, is a driver aid, and the user assumes all responsibility for damage and here is the window the customer pressed accepting those terms. Now your insurance comes back at you for payment and you're back to square one.

This is why others have said the same thing in this thread. At the end of the day it's a driving aid. I'm not trying to blame you, I just know how insurance companies work.
My insurance company told me that if the incident isn't caused by myself, then they would not make me liable and raise my premium, also refund $1K to me. But they want to see the report from Tesla in order to make such determination.

• Auto park sucks. It either does not engage at all or the “P” appears when I am stuck in traffic not wanting to park.
  • The few times I’ve tried it out for parallel parking (when self parking is most useful), it parks 14” - 18”+ from the curb and I have to repark the car with all the accompanying nagging/warning beeps. I am sorry your car was damaged but auto park is obviously a ‘beta’ product you cannot rely on.

That's just it. Whenever you use a driving aid and cause damage you are liable. Same thing happened to BMW when they first incorporated self parking.
I understand that you are referring to financial responsibility. I just need to collect the information from Tesla requested from my insurance company that's where I'm stuck now. I really need help with instruction on how to pull the logs from my car that as someone pointed out earlier, the data should be saved for more than two months.

Hey, I just encountered an auto-park malfunction during the back-in parking with auto-park engaged. It started perfectly but it never stopped and hit the wall in the back side of the car causing the bumper and backdoor to damage. I immediately reported to Tesla and was told they will get back to me with findings from the logs. I kept sending emails to them for the result of investigation but they only responded with one email saying they are waiting for the result.
Today I popped into the local service center and asked them to look into the case. They said to me the trace shows I never turned on auto-park function during the backup parking. This is a BIG SURPRISE to me and I never expected they totally lied about the incident.

Has anyone else encountered similar incident and Tesla also denied of any malfunction of the features? Fortunately I have a witness who was just outside of my car and saw how the car drove and hit the wall.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences if you have

Ray
You're in charge of the car. Driver assistance aids are just that. They help you, the driver. When they fail, you're driving.

1) That's why you need a dash cam with audio. Ideally, it should record the road as well as the instrument clusters to verify that the automation was activated.

lwD5GV7.jpg

If you cannot record the instrument clusters, make sure there's audio because when the automation is activated, it emits unique sounds so you can decipher which is which.

2) Even if the Autopark was indeed on, your owners' manual shifts the burden of operation to owners as it does not guarantee its perfection.

3) You should learn by now that Tesla does not cover for any cases that go wrong because of its automation system, including but not limited to Automatic Emergency Braking, Autopilot, Summon, Autopark, Falcon Wing Doors Collision Avoidance and others that I don't remember right now.

4) That means you need to be ready to react to avoid things go wrong or you just don't use its automation system.

5) It's just how it works in Tesla.
BTW, what kind of camera did you purchase to have the dashboard taped at all time? Thank you again.

BTW, what kind of camera did you purchase to have the dashboard taped at all time? Thank you again.

It's BlackVue DR650-2CH. It comes with 2 cameras. I tape one on the windshield and one hanging down from the shading part of the dashboard just in front of the Instrument Panel with an angle view from my right side.

I do this because I want to review when something goes wrong with autopilot so I can learn its behaviors.

I also use another BlackVue DR650-1CH separately for the rearview recording which works real well as I can adjust its brightness separately because the rear is tinted so dark so if I pair it together with the front, one would come out too bright and one too dark.

I tunnel the wires to the OBDII port on the left side above my foot for permanent 12V power so they all can record in parking mode as well.

Sr1PdeO.jpg

I also tried it with another angle from the glass rooftop but it's too distracting and it doesn't yield much info so I settled with taping it under the dashboard shading piece as shown above instead. You can see the one sticking on the windshield behind the rearview mirror.

Q7kCKm3.jpg

Last edited:
...I just need to collect the information from Tesla requested from my insurance company that's where I'm stuck now...

1) Data retrieval:
Tesla is usually quite strict about releasing your vehicle data even to its owners (except in well known publicized cases).

Some owners reported that Tesla won't release it unless you go to court.

You would have better luck if you pay some d-i-y users in this forrum to retrieve it for you.

2) Skip it and learn the lesson:
If I were you, I would forget about data retrieval because as mentioned by previous posts, Autopark is part of what you paid for Autopilot which is in beta.

It is Tesla's courtesy to cover damages during a beta run but it is not legally obligated.

I've never heard any successful lawsuit or settlement on shifting responsibility to Tesla because owners paid for and used features known as beta.

I understand that you are referring to financial responsibility. I just need to collect the information from Tesla requested from my insurance company that's where I'm stuck now. I really need help with instruction on how to pull the logs from my car that as someone pointed out earlier, the data should be saved for more than two months.
Apparently someone at your insurance company is not communicating well. They need to affix blame. The accident is someone's responsibility. There are three parties involved, Tesla, the wall, and you. You haven't indicated that the wall might be to blame. Tesla can't be at fault. That leaves you. An insurance person may have told you otherwise, but they are trying to appear to be your advocate. They probably said that if you can prove that Tesla is responsible, you would not be. But you CANNOT prove that Tesla is responsible, even if Autopark was engaged. In order for Autopark to be engaged, you "signed" a release absolving Tesla of responsibility.

When I shifted to reverse gear to back in the parking spot, there is a sound and also a display on the main dashboard with "Start" button for Auto-parking. I actually wasn't able to push the button the first time but it showed up again after the backup was started. Then I pressed "start"...

Are you saying you were trying to activate the Autopark while the car was already backing up (moving)?

As was mentioned in an earlier post - in order to not increase your premium and to return your deductible, your insurance company are going to need someone to accept blame / responsibility for this accident, and to be able to recover any financial outlay they make to repair your car. As Tesla can't be held to blame - it seems there isn't a path forward for you here.

The other thing that you haven't thought about - if you do manage to get the logs, do you know what they look like (most computer generated logs are not in plain English and are really only meaningful to IT engineers and developers) and is your insurance company versed in reading and interpreting these logs and forensically being able to correlate them to the time of the accident and what was happening?

Here is a video of how to engage auto park - usually starts with you having your foot on the brake before engaging and then releasing the brake to start the process - is this what happened when you used it?

Reactions: JRP3 and Russell
Are you saying you were trying to activate the Autopark while the car was already backing up (moving)?
Wasn't me trying to activate the Autopark, When I manually started backup to park into the slot, then it was promoting me to use it by popping up the "Start" button and also a beep. It promoted twice to me, the first time I didn't push it right away because I wasn't sure if I should use it, but in the second time I did, then I put hands off steering and released brake pedal to let it do the job, but then it hit the wall.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
As was mentioned in an earlier post - in order to not increase your premium and to return your deductible, your insurance company are going to need someone to accept blame / responsibility for this accident, and to be able to recover any financial outlay they make to repair your car. As Tesla can't be held to blame - it seems there isn't a path forward for you here.

The other thing that you haven't thought about - if you do manage to get the logs, do you know what they look like (most computer generated logs are not in plain English and are really only meaningful to IT engineers and developers) and is your insurance company versed in reading and interpreting these logs and forensically being able to correlate them to the time of the accident and what was happening?

Here is a video of how to engage auto park - usually starts with you having your foot on the brake before engaging and then releasing the brake to start the process - is this what happened when you used it?

Thank you for the very informative message here. I did have foot on the brake and switched to reverse gear manually, then the "Start" button popped up, it actually did twice to me and I pushed it at the second promote. It went very well to back in but never tried to stop, when I realized it it's already too late. It was my first time using it, unfortunately.