Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My battery results from Aggressive Mountain Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a 98 mile loop today with a few of my buds.

My tesla model 3 performance with MPP sport coilovers, lowered only 1/2 inch, one Dodge Viper, one Z06 corvette C6, and one late model Mazda Miata with coilovers and catback exhaust.

The loop started with medium and high speed sweepers, with straightaways that I limited top speed on, and moved on to medium to low speed sweepers, and finished off with very tight low speed sweepers.
I charged my P3D to 100% which showed 294 miles to empty.

Miles showing that were left after my actual 98 mile run, 113 miles.
So subtracting starting miles of 294 minus the miles remaining of 113 miles, shows a burn of 181 miles.

Doing the math, I came up with an equation (for me, YMMV) to roughly calculate how many miles are available for spirited driving following a full charge for a P3D: For my roads with 2,500 feet of elevation change with spirited driving,

I will multiply the miles of my proposed twisty trip by 1.84 to give me miles that will be burned.

Example:
98 mile trip X 1.84=181 miles that will show as being burned when you are done, or 113 miles being displayed as remaining.

Take your total 100% charged miles, in my case 294, and subtract this 181 miles, which will leave you with 113 miles.

Dividing the total miles of 294 by my value of 1.84 gives a maximum twisty range of 160 miles give or take obviously.
The temperature was 79 Degrees F, tires were Michelin PS4 235/35-20 inflated cold to 41 psi (grew to 45 psi at the end).

So for me, the range to calculate for a twisty run is a little more than half of the displayed miles with a 100% charge. YMMV

Anybody have similar experience?

What was your wh/mi
20200502_144609.jpg

That is pretty bad. How often do you charge and where do you charge when at the track?

VIR had a Chademo that would do 30kW, but it has been broken for 9 months now and they had no plans of fixing it before the virus. I doubt they will spend the money now. I have been using their NEMA 14-50's with a jury-rigged HPWC that can deliver 10kW. It's not great, but it does work. Dominion Raceway in VA has a supercharger about 10 minutes away, I am looking to do an event there later this year. Lime Rock Park has dedicated Tesla HPWC's.

Most tracks have at least 14-50's, and I hope that as they see the demand for EV's on track growing they will start to support them better.

IMG_20200301_170003.jpg

I've done a few backroads and it really depends on the speed and elevation changes. I haven't actually experienced too much loss in general compared to driving on track because it's the really long sections where you go flat out that blows through the battery the quickest. My Wh/mi for most backroad runs is around 350-380, but I also have a staggered tire setup. I almost always consider that I'll only have 60% of the stated range of the computer - just to be safe.

I did a 98 mile loop today with a few of my buds.

My tesla model 3 performance with MPP sport coilovers, lowered only 1/2 inch, one Dodge Viper, one Z06 corvette C6, and one late model Mazda Miata with coilovers and catback exhaust.

The loop started with medium and high speed sweepers, with straightaways that I limited top speed on, and moved on to medium to low speed sweepers, and finished off with very tight low speed sweepers.
I charged my P3D to 100% which showed 294 miles to empty.

Miles showing that were left after my actual 98 mile run, 113 miles.
So subtracting starting miles of 294 minus the miles remaining of 113 miles, shows a burn of 181 miles.

Doing the math, I came up with an equation (for me, YMMV) to roughly calculate how many miles are available for spirited driving following a full charge for a P3D: For my roads with 2,500 feet of elevation change with spirited driving,

I will multiply the miles of my proposed twisty trip by 1.84 to give me miles that will be burned.

Example:
98 mile trip X 1.84=181 miles that will show as being burned when you are done, or 113 miles being displayed as remaining.

Take your total 100% charged miles, in my case 294, and subtract this 181 miles, which will leave you with 113 miles.

Dividing the total miles of 294 by my value of 1.84 gives a maximum twisty range of 160 miles give or take obviously.
The temperature was 79 Degrees F, tires were Michelin PS4 235/35-20 inflated cold to 41 psi (grew to 45 psi at the end).

So for me, the range to calculate for a twisty run is a little more than half of the displayed miles with a 100% charge. YMMV

Anybody have similar experience?
What did he Corvette and the Viper look like in your rear view mirror? I love passing them at Summit Point in my Supercharged Miata on the turns. ;)
Are taking Tail of the Dragon kinda of driving or Callie HWY 1?

Last edited:
What did he Corvette and the Viper look like in your rear view mirror? I love passing them at Summit Point in my Supercharged Miata on the turns. ;)
Both. Lower Big Tujunga (medium speed sweepers), Angeles Forrest (medium and high speed sweepers), Aliso Canyon (low and medium speed sweepers), Little Tujunga (very tight with elevation changes). Lots of videos of these great So. Cal roads. Never did the Dragon (always wanted to though) when I was big into sport bikes, but have done tons of roads all up and down the west coast.

Here is a taste of part of Little T:

Last edited:
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Both. Lower Big Tujunga (medium speed sweepers), Angeles Forrest (medium and high speed sweepers), Aliso Canyon (low and medium speed sweepers), Little Tujunga (very tight with elevation changes). Lots of videos of these great So. Cal roads. Never did the Dragon (always wanted to though) when I was big into sport bikes, but have done tons of roads all up and down the west coast.

Here is a taste of part of Little T:
The guy on the bike @ 2:34 almost got a Darwin Award. Those roads remind me of a drive in Bisbee Arizona.. same terrain and road conditions. Those bikes pull away going up the elevation change, like it was nothing.

Last edited:
The guy on the bike @ 2:34 almost got a Darwin Award. Those roads remind me of a drive in Bisbee Arizona.. same terrain and road conditions. Those bikes pull away going up the elevation change, like it was nothing.
He was dodging the bicycle. That is the only problem with the roads down here, lots of bone heads on bicycles driving in the middle of the lane sometimes two and three abreast. Not much of a problem unless in a blind tight turn. The rule here on the left coast is maintain 3 feet from a bicycle, but that rule will put you over the yellow line, so we cross the yellow when we need to.

Last edited:

Ahh, the Crossroads of Time. Other name for the Dragon. Spring and Fall trips twice a year there for many years while riding sport bikes. Always with buds. Double yellow line all the way, but made to be ignored by a bike, otherwise you'll follow the lady in the Volvo for 45 minutes or more. I'll make an observation on the first image. You can ride close to the center line on right-handers, but it can be dangerous to hang your head over on the left-handers. You might meet Rufus with his big mirrors coming the other way. Remember the Tree of Shame. Other than that, all rules made to be broken on HWY 29 or why bother coming...? Very happy to have survived it.

• Love
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Ahh, the Crossroads of Time. Other name for the Dragon. Spring and Fall trips twice a year there for many years while riding sport bikes. Always with buds. Double yellow line all the way, but made to be ignored by a bike, otherwise you'll follow the lady in the Volvo for 45 minutes or more. I'll make an observation on the first image. You can ride close to the center line on right-handers, but it can be dangerous to hang your head over on the left-handers. You might meet Rufus with his big mirrors coming the other way. Remember the Tree of Shame. Other than that, all rules made to be broken on HWY 29 or why bother coming...? Very happy to have survived it.
I used to work for Yamaha, I remember taking an FZR600 down there when they came out, then later the FZR1000...as I matured a bit I moved to a VFR800, but that v-Tech engine used to spook me, once you hit it.

Double yellow line all the way, but made to be ignored by a bike, otherwise you'll follow the lady in the Volvo for 45 minutes or more.

All Harleys just about, now. And they get pissy when you are close to them. The Volvos pulled over to let me by. But it has been several years, I think last time I drove it was bringing back a 968 from Atlanta in, sheesh, 2012 or so? Has it been that long?

I used to work for Yamaha, I remember taking an FZR600 down there when they came out, then later the FZR1000...as I matured a bit I moved to a VFR800, but that v-Tech engine used to spook me, once you hit it.

There are some that will still tell you the VFR 750 had the better motor - without the VTEC 'gimmickry'. It almost had the status of a cult bike. I bought a 2005, gorgeous red Interceptor because of the injection. It was beautiful, the best finish on a production vehicle that I have ever owned. When VTEC cut in, and all the valves came on line, it was a different bike. Much faster than the specs gave it any right to be. And, of course the V4 was a classic unto itself. It is the bike I should have kept. Thanks for the video.

I count 40% in winter, 60% in Summer if not too spirited.

I don't track my cars. Most of my fun driving has been to and from places I go hike or ski or wine taste. Memories from those trips inspired me to buy fun to drive cars. While my Model 3 Performance is most fun overall, and practical enough to carry skiing and camping stuff, I do feel restricted where I can take it. For example I am eyeing taking the Tesla to Mt Baker ski area for a day trip. There's some awesome hiking there. It is 130 miles roundtrip from the nearest supercharger. Switching to biking on Google Maps - Google Maps - shows 5K ft ups and 1400 ft downs on the way there. Will I make it there and back while driving in spirited manner? I don't know. I'd probably have to do one trip driving conservatively on the way up and spirited on the way down and see how much more spirited I can drive up next time.
I frankly hoped for more when making the decision to buy the car in 2018.