Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Car does not do XXXX, but it make fart noises now!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one developer that was probably tasked with this easter egg probably would not have made a difference if s/he was added to the existing wiper logistics team. I'm certain if they needed the help, they would have commandeered the person long ago.

Software development takes time, regardless of how many warm bodies you throw at it.
So, according to you, even if they threw all company resources at it, they still would not have solved a problem of since 2016? Why didn't they just continue using industry proven solutions then, if no matter how many billions they would spend on it, it would still take years to make it work? Then, once they have a proper solution, remove the 3rd party solution and use their own.

I'm disappointed I have to write this, but here goes:

The people at Tesla are not slaves; they are motivated, extremely talented people on a mission. To function at a high level over time they need to smile. They need to play. And they need to enjoy their work. It is just icing on the cake that I get to enjoy some of the silliness along with them.

Since as you said, different people do different things, than it follows that the people who added fart noises had nothing higher priority they could implement, hence It shows us that Tesla has people dedicated to fart noises and lower priority features. Obviously those have to be competent developers not to screw up anything important while adding fart noises - the reason Elon hasn't delivered on his now 6 year old promise of an SDK is because they haven't figured out how to isolate apps like that from being dangerous. So the big question is why waste valuable resources on a fart department?

IMHO Elon just wants media attention and since he can't seem to actually deliver anything great lately (his Boring demo lived up to the company name), he moved onto fart humor to try to grab headlines.
Part of me hopes that the fart developer is not the same person who is programming the wiper settings...

Part of me hopes that the fart developer is not the same person who is programming the wiper settings...
Why? If the fart developer was incompetent they can screw up the whole car. Why else would we still not have an SDK for apps promised by Elon way back in 2013? If the fart software hangs your M3 screen, bye bye wiper settings, heat, it may even activate summon or disengage parking brakes, who knows.

Reactions: Mod3forMe
Wait! I just had an epiphany! It just dawned on me why Elon never delivered an SDK for Tesla apps! If there was a Tesla app ecosystem, a "fart app" or "sketch pad" would not get any media attention, like a "fart app" or a "sketch pad" for an iPhone wouldn't. So, we'll never get an SDK which would allow people to write apps for Tesla (a vision which Elon sold us on 6 years ago) simply because it would limit Elon's ability to grab media attention with the likes of a "fart app".

Next up, "I am rich" app, *cough*, I mean easter-egg.

Reactions: Mod3forMe
Wait! I just had an epiphany! It just dawned on me why Elon never delivered an SDK for Tesla apps! If there was a Tesla app ecosystem, a "fart app" or "sketch pad" would not get any media attention, like a "fart app" or a "sketch pad" for an iPhone wouldn't. So, we'll never get an SDK which would allow people to write apps for Tesla (a vision which Elon sold us on 6 years ago) simply because it would limit Elon's ability to grab media attention with the likes of a "fart app".

Next up, "I am rich" app, *cough*, I mean easter-egg.
Or maybe they know that having third parties developing software for your car is a terrible idea.

Or maybe they know that having third parties developing software for your car is a terrible idea.
Well, people are suggesting here that Tesla used low skill developers to develop farts app because those developers were not skilled enough to write any useful apps, like Waze for Tesla for example, or debug why the browser is dead on MCU1 cars, (I can't even search for "tesla" on my MCU1 car - all I get is a blank screen, even when on full strength wifi). So why is it a terrible idea for third parties to write apps, but letting newbee unskilled programmers write fart apps is not? 3rd party app ecosystem has worked for Apple and Android pretty well.

Well, people are suggesting here that Tesla used low skill developers to develop farts app because those developers were not skilled enough to write any useful apps, like Waze for Tesla for example, or debug why the browser is dead on MCU1 cars, (I can't even search for "tesla" on my MCU1 car - all I get is a blank screen, even when on full strength wifi). So why is it a terrible idea for third parties to write apps, but letting newbee unskilled programmers write fart apps is not? 3rd party app ecosystem has worked for Apple and Android pretty well.
It might be newer developers who’s work is then reviewed by a more skilled dev, or it might be skilled devs taking a break to work on something fun. Regardless, Tesla has full access to the source and can insure that it won’t cause any problems.

The more open a platform is, the more problems it will have with malware - Apple vs Android is a perfect example of this. On a phone it’s annoying, on a car it could kill you.

There's so many approaches to software development that we can't speculate on what's going on behind the scenes at Tesla.

I'm just grateful for Tesla's continued, disciplined, and creative development. And as long as it's tested properly before it gets to the me, I'd take this over the model year releases of old...opps, sorry, of everyone else.