Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car was 94 degrees inside and it is still only spring!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not hot in my corner of New Mexico yet but the sun is bright and my car sits in direct sunlight during the day. I took the car out at 2pm for a 6 mile each each way trip for shopping and used A/C set to 70F 'Auto' each direction. Average consumption was 200 Wh/mile.

Anybody wondering why more energy was not consumed ? Windows are cracked open for ventilation while parked (not much, since it has been raining this week although clear skies the day of my trip) and I park the car facing the sun and use a sun shield.

It is that simple.

It is not hot in my corner of New Mexico yet but the sun is bright and my car sits in direct sunlight during the day. I took the car out at 2pm for a 6 mile each each way trip for shopping and used A/C set to 70F 'Auto' each direction. Average consumption was 200 Wh/mile.

Anybody wondering why more energy was not consumed ? Windows are cracked open for ventilation while parked (not much, since it has been raining this week although clear skies the day of my trip) and I park the car facing the sun and use a sun shield.

It is that simple.
My sunshields just got here and it has been raining in the northeast for a zillion years so i will do a baseline when it (finally) gets sunny and then post both findings. And no cracked windows for me...see previous spiders comment.

Has anyone tried to apply this film on Tesla M3 glass roof? or should I do it at an expert shop?

3M™ Crystalline CR90 Automotive Window Tint Film

see specs here:
eBay

s-l640.jpg

anyone try these? Price is lowest, but concerned about see thru/mesh. Will be 110 this week in AZ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RSXKCM4/ref=crt_ewc_img_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A26K7EWBOIL7KD

Unless it's reflective, it's not going to do much to make the actual interior cabin temperature lower. It's inside the car, so radiant energy has already made its way into the car.

What that will do, is make the cabin feel cooler to passengers, because the radiant energy that entered the car will stay near the roof, and won't be beamed directly onto passengers.

It might also help the screen out, keep it cooler, so it isn't directly blasted by sun light.

Reactions: SageBrush
anyone try these? Price is lowest, but concerned about see thru/mesh. Will be 110 this week in AZ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RSXKCM4/ref=crt_ewc_img_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A26K7EWBOIL7KD
Those look the same as the ones available from Tesla. I suspect the material isn't as robust though. I have the Tesla ones, and they are great for keeping bugs out when camping, and the hatch one is great for dimming unadjusted headlights from the truck behind. They also reduce the light in the cabin so the screen is slightly more readable. I don't believe they do a lot for heat because the majority of heat comes through the windshield, hatch, and side windows. If you want more heat rejection, get heat rejecting film for the glass.

Bear in mind you get what you pay for. Cheapest is usually the most expensive.

Honestly I think all those shades are not worth the hassle. All they do is delay a bit the inevitable he’ll that will build up inside any car when the sun is hot enough outside. Believe me I know, driving in south Florida for 20 years.

Just remember to precool your car a few minutes before driving and you will be ok

Honestly I think all those shades are not worth the hassle.
Reflective sun shades are fantastic when used correctly:

1. Park in the direction the sun will be facing when you start your next trip so that most of the radiation hits the shades
2. Crack open windows for ventilation

My car lives outside in the high desert of New Mexico, a land that gets its fair share of sunshine.

Reactions: jerry33

1. Park in the direction the sun will be facing when you start your next trip so that most of the radiation hits the shades

My car lives outside in the high desert of New Mexico, a land that gets its fair share of sunshine.
This works where I live as well.

Let me clarify, I was talking about shades for the both glass roofs, which already come from the factory with enough UV and IR protection to guard against the sun rays. Those shades are a hassle to put and remove and if left on, they detriment from the Tesla glass roof experience, IMO not worth the hassle.

On the other hand, windshield shades are indeed worth it as you described it, not only to prevent the interior from getting extremely (radiant) hot but also from long term damage from the sun.

Reactions: SageBrush
Let me clarify,
Agree 100%

There is something magical going on with the glass roof. It gets quite hot sitting in the sun ... and then cools down to ambient in a very short time during driving. There is another major benefit to using windshield sunshades correctly: the retained heat in the cabin is markedly decreased so A/C energy consumption is much lower and cabin comfort is reached sooner.

I have not done quant measurements yet of the A/C load per trip but I hear my A/C blasting away at full when I start my drive from home and by the time I exit my neighborhood a mile later the A/C fan has settled down to a nice quiet level. A/C is set to 68F automatic. Most of my city errand driving is 10 - 15 miles r/t with a 15 - 30 minute stop. I have been averaging 180 - 220 Wh/mile per trip.

Last edited:
Those shades are a hassle to put and remove and if left on, they detriment from the Tesla glass roof experience, IMO not worth the hassle.
The glass roof experience (referring to light let in) makes the interior way too bright. The shades help a great deal to overcome this. (My opinion, YMMV).

The darker the window tint you apply, the more heat it absorbs. While Crystalline will keep heat from reaching whatever the sun hits (seats, your body, etc), it will redirect the heat into the glass. (Energy has to go somewhere).

Therefore, your body will stay cool but the air inside the car will raise considerably... The windows will become hotplates baking the air around them. I wrote the 3M people about this and they pulled no punches to admit how it works and what to expect.

This is why 3M doesn't make limo tint (5%) for Crystalline, because it absorbs so much heat the glass can crack.

I was warned not to apply dark crystalline to the sunroof of my Audi because the guy said he's seen cracked sunroofs.

Instead, use the Tesla insulators. They create a pocket of air between the glass which is proper physics, as well as cut down the sunlight from reaching the seats and your body. I use them in the desert and the difference is absolutely noticeable when you raise your hand to the glass. Then, I use Crystalline on the side windows to keep the sun off my body, and park in shade whenever I can. (Not raising the temp in the first place is the very best defense).

The only thing tint on the sunroof will do is keep the sun out of your eyes... but it will absolutely bake your scalp even more than without it. That glass will be HOT!

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
The darker the window tint you apply, the more heat it absorbs. While Crystalline will keep heat from reaching whatever the sun hits (seats, your body, etc), it will redirect the heat into the glass. (Energy has to go somewhere).

Therefore, your body will stay cool but the air inside the car will raise considerably... The windows will become hotplates baking the air around them. I wrote the 3M people about this and they pulled no punches to admit how it works and what to expect.

This is why 3M doesn't make limo tint (5%) for Crystalline, because it absorbs so much heat the glass can crack.

I was warned not to apply dark crystalline to the sunroof of my Audi because the guy said he's seen cracked sunroofs.

Instead, use the Tesla insulators. They create a pocket of air between the glass which is proper physics, as well as cut down the sunlight from reaching the seats and your body. I use them in the desert and the difference is absolutely noticeable when you raise your hand to the glass. Then, I use Crystalline on the side windows to keep the sun off my body, and park in shade whenever I can. (Not raising the temp in the first place is the very best defense).

The only thing tint on the sunroof will do is keep the sun out of your eyes... but it will absolutely bake your scalp even more than without it. That glass will be HOT!
This explanation is mostly true but the heat energy in the cabin is locked in by the greenhouse effect while heated glass will lose heat to ambient air. This is one reason why the glass cools off so quickly after starting to drive.

There is another interesting difference between the roof and owner installed tints: owner installed tint is placed on the inside of the glass while the tint in the windshield is in the middle of a glass sandwich. The tint material also has an insulating effect so the roof glass will have different temperatures on each side. This is another reason why the glass cools off quickly.

Lastly, owner applied tint to the roof wraps the bottom glass layer while the top layer has one side tinted. I suspect that adds to the risk of cracks.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh

Would you say the insulator panels do a good job of keeping temps lower? If anyone has any experience or has any comparisons with on vs off temps, I’d love to hear about it!