Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car was 94 degrees inside and it is still only spring!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I felt the ceiling which is made of glass and it was warm.
Normal car with lining and insulation doesn't feel as warm when you touch ceiling
That's just science. They probably were both actually the same temperature, but glass is a better conductor of heat than lining/insulation, so it feels much warmer to the touch when it's warm. The same reason that in cold weather metal feels very cold, while cloth or plastic doesn't. They're the same temperature, but one conducts heat to you much more quickly than the other does.

• Disagree
Reactions: Leafdriver333
I have a solar cooker and was thinking of using it but I guess now I will just use the car! :) It is good to know that this is something I should be aware of. Do you know if there are any issues w/ the cabin getting so hot? I read that A/C will kick in if it reaches 120. I will just have to do the opposite of the winter checking/heating up now I guess.

The biggest difference between this car and most any other is that you have an app that shows you what the temperature of the interior is. Cars get hot inside. They always have.

Reactions: one true morty
The sun doesn't have a preference on whether the car is a Tesla or not.

I'm thinking that ICE cars with black interiors heat up the same way. <------I'm assuming you have black interior.
The interior color doesn’t impact the temperature to any measurable degree compared to the exterior color. I researched this before I ordered because I have no garage and live in California. Black, blue and gray exteriors absorb the most sun. White, yellow and red reflect the sun. Since I like spotting my car in a crowd and having it seen by inattentive drivers on the road, I knew white wasn’t an option. Tesla doesn’t offer yellow, so I opted for the red.

As all have said, cars get really hot from that huge, hot ball in the sky. Adding the ceramic window tint makes an amazing difference. It's well worth the price difference. In California we do it for all our cars to reduce the burn getting in the car on hot days. Also, the reflective insulated windshield heat shields bring the temps down. Get a high quality one.

Just for fun and to share with all of us, you might record the temps at a certain time of day parked in a certain place for several days. Then measure again after the tint and heat shield. It'll be interesting to see the difference.

If you do the tint, you will loose some of the passive solar heating in winter on those frigid days. It's a trade-off.

The interior color doesn’t impact the temperature to any measurable degree compared to the exterior color.
I think that the details matter here. Are you talking about cabin air temperature, or fabric temperature ?
Was the fabric in the shade ?
How long did the test continue ?
What materials were tested ?

I can tell you from persona experience that black plastic under direct sunlight will burn you. A black fabric will not.
Even though I always try to remember to put up a sunshade my behavior is not perfect and my side windows are not tinted.I covered my black plastic seats with mostly black fabric seat covers and no longer worry about just plopping my butt down.

Did you actually go into the car and see if it was 94 degrees? I ask because frequently the app says my car is in the 90s, and then when I go back/refresh it goes down to the accurate temperature. I think it’s a bug.

I leave the dog in the car on occasion and monitor the inside temp. While I don't doubt the greenhouse effect, I have found the reported temp to be higher than the actual temp when left in the sun.

Here is my experience with M3 AWD. Living in Maui since 2 years and CA before that I learned that a lighter color inside and outside have the biggest impact on the interior temperature. The worst being a black car with black leather seats.
So I ordered a white M3 outside with the White premium inside, waiting for the car to be delivered I also ordered both “Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade” for the front and rear.
I thought I will have also to tint the windows but it was not necessary and I also even never have to use a windshield cover as I did in CA all summer. I bought one but still new in the box...
I even do not have to program the over heat option, as the AC is blowing as soon as the car unlock with the iPhone.
My wife also noticed it is the perfect combination white/white with both factory front and rear glass roof sunshade and we are living in the most sunny part of the island in South Kihei.

Last edited:
Did you actually go into the car and see if it was 94 degrees? I ask because frequently the app says my car is in the 90s, and then when I go back/refresh it goes down to the accurate temperature. I think it’s a bug.
This is what I was thinking too but you are the first one to say it. I didn't go to the car for a little while as I was getting ready to take my bird on a play date and had to get ready but I did turn the temp to 68 which it was when I got in the car like 10 min later so I can't say. I really wasn't in the sun for very long, the side of my house is in shade for most of the day. I will keep an eye on it to see though.

The interior color doesn’t impact the temperature to any measurable degree compared to the exterior color. I researched this before I ordered because I have no garage and live in California. Black, blue and gray exteriors absorb the most sun. White, yellow and red reflect the sun. Since I like spotting my car in a crowd and having it seen by inattentive drivers on the road, I knew white wasn’t an option. Tesla doesn’t offer yellow, so I opted for the red.

You don't have to research very long to realize the black interior is going to absorb way more heat. I have entered black interior cars and could not even touch the seats if there was vinyl or fake leather without fear of burning any exposed skin. Cloth might be better but this never happened on my grey interior car. I ordered the white seats day one for this reason alone, the better cushion and aesthetics are bonus.

Actually, testing shows that dark exteriors and dark interiors will heat up more quickly than their lighter counterparts, but the end result is nearly identical interior temperatures. But since pretty much all Teslas have black cabins, it doesn't really matter in any case.

modelSBlacktopView.jpg
modelSWhitetopView.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone had this happen? It was only around 65 degrees F outside, I live in the NY. I was inside the house and sending directions to my car from my phone and I saw that it was 94 in the interior. The heat was not on, it was on the side of my house and had been in the shade for most of the day, sun for a couple of hours. Is this my car malfunctioning or is it the huge expanse of glass soaking up the sun? I know I can set the car to maintain a certain temp but I don't like the idea of using up the charge on that all day/every day. Thoughts?
Open all the windows!

Has anyone had this happen? It was only around 65 degrees F outside, I live in the NY. I was inside the house and sending directions to my car from my phone and I saw that it was 94 in the interior.
That's pretty normal. Glass lets in infrared (heat) rays from the sun and traps it there. There are a few things you can do:
1. Apply a heat reflecting tint to the top.
2. Get the Tesla sun screens.
3. Crack the windows a bit.
4. Set the cabin overheat protection on. (keeps the cabin to 105 or so).
5. Use a windshield shade.

I just took some readings with my handy (and so much fun) laser temperature gun. (EVERYBODY should buy one of these gadgets.)

The car is a silver Model 3 parked facing SW all day long; it is now 2 pm and the sun is still pretty high in sky and pretty close to SW. A few clouds in the sky but standing outside without shade is uncomfortable. Ambient is 78F. Windows are open enough to allow good ventilation, and a reflective sliver sun shade is on the glass.

Car hood: 36C
Black plastic exposed to sunlight: 50C
Black fabric seat cover exposed to sunlight: 50C
Black fabric seat cover in the shade: 30C
Roof from the inside: 50C
Interior of sun-shade: 40C

My heat tolerance: very low.
Bare skin on the unshaded fabric: warm but not uncomfortable
Bare skin on the roof's interior: quite warm
Bare skin on the unshaded black plastic: quite warm, not yet at 'ouch' level
Hanging out in the car: pleasant

Bullet points:
1. Sun shades with ventilation work **great**
2. Black plastics in the sun are a problem, if not for the temperature per se, then due to their heat capacity.

Last edited: