Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car was "keyed" :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lost an old college friend over the Prius hate. I bought one about three years ago, and posted a little note to Facebook about how cool it was to be getting 50MPH and the wonders of modern technology. He replied with a rant full of bogus claims, like that I'd have to spend $10,000 every five years replacing the battery. When I replied with a completely calm explanation of what he got wrong, he called me "smug" and that was the end of that. Sad.

I wonder what he'd say about my owning a Tesla now. Probably more of the same. Would be fun to just challenge him to a drag race as a response....
Funny! I had a friend who said he heard the Teslas needed to have their batteries replaced every year and it costs around 30k each time
I laughed

I came out after a long day of work to a series of deep scratches on the driver side of my 4 month old Model S.

I'm a generally mild mannered man, but it really bothered me more than I would have anticipated. Why would someone purposely damage something for no reason?

My son and I bond over my car, and since I have had it we have washed it and enjoyed it together. He loves summon and autopilot. I worked hard to buy it.

It just made me sad, more so than an accident, since those horrible events are unintentional.

I know that far worse things have happened to many people. I just am venting here since I know many of you will understand. My wife thinks I'm silly to care..

If anyone has body shop suggestions in Long island, NY please let me know.

Thank you all for putting up with this whiny post.

Sorry to read that, there are just some evil people in the world--sad really.

Security found the footage.
Young man, visitor as anticipated.
Looks like he was inebriated...

I don't think he was targeting my car, just any car.

Anyway, they have his picture.

Feel a bit better just knowing that it likely wasn't done for the sake of it being a Tesla...or my car.

Next week, body shop visit, followed by dash cams.

Thanks again to all.

Anyone who does this, and is envious of what others posses and have achieved through hard work honestly don't deserve to live in a free society. These people deserve to be living in North Korea or Cuba. I am willing to start a collection to ship them there and save us the trouble of putting up with them.

I grew up below middle class. I witnessed my parents work beyond exhaustion to put food on the table and a roof over our heads. I witnessed my father loose his job, his car repossessed and my family have to go on food stamps. Never once, did I blame our neighbors or people that were better off than us for our struggles, nor did I hate them for their success or possessions.

The MS has been my dream car since it was announced in 2012, I have worked hard to get to the point that I own one now. I still go into the garage and it seems like a dream to me that this is my car. It would anger me beyond words if someone did this to my car after all the work I've put in to finally buy it, so you have my sympathy.

I apologize for the soupbox rant, but this is something that really bothers me. I've had a car keyed before and it is impersonal to the perpetrator but very personal to the victim.

Yes, I too am wondering how a dash cam would have caught anything here...

Sorry to hear about this OP but I've learned that life will throw you a certain amount of these types of things and it's best just to try to put it in perspective and move on...

One week old today, and then backed into....

As to "karma", I find it to be an extremely evil concept. Of course, if you do good, generally good things will happen to you and vice-versa. But there's no guarantee that will be the case -- and "karma" is a concept of cause of effect that is fundamentally flawed since many really good people have very bad things happen to them. And many evil people succeed. Why this concept of "karma" makes me so angry is because, for instance, when Oprah tells her followers that if you do good, good will happen, and bad things happen to bad people, there are girls who idolize her who, for example, are being abused daily, and living a life of hell, who think it must be their "karma", as if they are bad and deserving of what it happening to them since it's their "karma". Hearing this evil concept (as if it's a good concept guiding the universe) is enough to drive them to suicide! I wish I could tell them that there is no such thing as karma and they do not deserve what is happening to them, and despite what Oprah says: really bad things happen to really good people! That's just the nature of life.

I lost an old college friend over the Prius hate. I bought one about three years ago, and posted a little note to Facebook about how cool it was to be getting 50MPH and the wonders of modern technology. He replied with a rant full of bogus claims, like that I'd have to spend $10,000 every five years replacing the battery. When I replied with a completely calm explanation of what he got wrong, he called me "smug" and that was the end of that. Sad.

I wonder what he'd say about my owning a Tesla now. Probably more of the same. Would be fun to just challenge him to a drag race as a response....
Yeah, I made the mistake of posting just the picture of the Tesla baseball cap I got on Facebook the day I signed the contract, and "a friend" starting calling me an elitist??? It was pretty sad, since I thought I was pretty well aligned with that person. A few PMs later and I got an apology, but the damage was done. When you have to explain the rationality of buying a CPO Tesla to save $500 a month in gas to friend and all they say is "you were spending $500 a month on gas?" you know you are/were not as connected as you thought.

But, unfortunately I do worry more about the possibility of the car being keyed, etc.

You are not whining at all. I would be really, really upset. It upsets me so much that there are so many people in this world who are so unhappy that they need to lash out at an anonymous person and cause harm. No matter what kind of harm. It seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes on. Have we become so disassociated with our fellow humans that we need to cause harm in order to feel better?

Unfortunately, it seems that this is where we are headed. I am at a complete loss as to how to remedy this. That makes me sad.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
my model s (90D blue, just got it 2 months ago) was keyed this morning too. residential area of san mateo. i'm really sorry it happened to your tesla too. i just don't understand what motivates people to do such things...

I'm so sorry to hear that!
Blue is such a beautiful color on the Model S, hurts to see a car that nice needlessly ruined.
Mine is being repaired this weekend.
In the end, I'm sure it will be good as new.

As to "karma", I find it to be an extremely evil concept. .

Agreed. It is also amusing that many people who make fun of religion and the idea that there is God who...gasp..."lets bad things happen" turn around and believe in a magical force that has a Karma ledger that balances things out. Or they believe in a magical force called superstition.

The only bad thing that will happen to the keyer due to this is getting caught sometime, not the universe or some mystery force applying a karma correction.

This is my worst fear too. Not the material aspect of it, which can be easily fixed or replaced. But the emotional aspect where someone would feel this way towards something that you have worked so hard to achieve.

My D.S gave me a stat where he mentioned that over 50% of Tesla owners have never had a car worth more than $30k before. For many of us, this car symbolizes values and not status.

My D.S gave me a stat where he mentioned that over 50% of Tesla owners have never had a car worth more than $30k before.

I don't believe that this is correct. It doesn't make sense. And this is aside from the fact that there's no way for them get this information without having people answer this question when buying, and no one asked me.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett