Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car won't charge faster than 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more data point. Folsom 2 Saturdays ago in the mid-afternoon. I was the only Tesla there for the first 10 mins. Good weather. Arrived with about 150 miles and charged up to 200. It stayed at 60kW the whole time. But could be cause I arrived with more than 50% SOC.

If it is true, I think Tesla will say something to the effect of: This will be better for the health of the batteries and if you are close to home anywat, you don't need a large/fast charge. Just what i'm thinking.

What will really happen: People who want to charge for free or use them as their only charging, will just be at the superchargers longer and make them more crowded and longer lines (God help SJC)

- - - Updated - - -

One more data point. Folsom 2 Saturdays ago in the mid-afternoon. I was the only Tesla there for the first 10 mins. Good weather. Arrived with about 150 miles and charged up to 200. It stayed at 60kW the whole time. But could be cause I arrived with more than 50% SOC.

if possible try it again at a lower SoC. But if i recall correctly it doesn't taper that low normally until about 65-70% at 50% SoC it should be 90-100kW

What will really happen: People who want to charge for free or use them as their only charging, will just be at the superchargers longer and make them more crowded and longer lines (God help SJC)
This. You wouldn't believe the snippiness between EV drivers sharing 6kW chargers at my office. I've heard some really nasty things for a couple dollars worth of electricity. Some people will go dramatically out of their way to get something for "free."

Honestly I expected something like this when Model 3 rolls out. Though I expected it to be more of a token system where you get X number of free chargers per month and then you pay after that. As others stated, limiting charge rate is stupid because the people will just tie up the SC stall for longer.

I've driven over 18K miles in just under 5 months because of my commute and I've charged primarily at the Oxnard SC which is 23 miles away from home. When arriving at a low SOC, I've always gotten 100KW, including tonight. If TM is really throttling, I would think I would be a prime candidate.

On a D pack, the 60 kW charging threshold is crossed on the taper at about 60-63% SOC. 150 miles is roughly 57% SOC, so it's likely just a factor of your SOC.

To everyone else: PLEASE wait to pile on until we've heard more... I see some people running and screaming "sky is falling". It's clear that some cars and/or SC's are delivering a max of 60 kW. It might be a specific version of SC or car hardware that is posing a safety risk, or something that is doing damage to their equipment, or something else? We need more information before we can make any assumptions.

Until we've heard of a policy change OFFICIALLY from Tesla, can we please refrain from assuming that Tesla's out to screw us all? Given the track record, I think we owe the benefit of the doubt.

(Unless you're an "A" pack owner, in which case now you get to sit back and watch the fireworks unfold as you sip whisky and smile with an "I told you so" grin.)

Last edited:
This. You wouldn't believe the snippiness between EV drivers sharing 6kW chargers at my office. I've heard some really nasty things for a couple dollars worth of electricity. Some people will go dramatically out of their way to get something for "free."

Honestly I expected something like this when Model 3 rolls out. Though I expected it to be more of a token system where you get X number of free chargers per month and then you pay after that. As others stated, limiting charge rate is stupid because the people will just tie up the SC stall for longer.

I believe it!! I could never make sense of it if I didn't need it. If I charge 40kW avg per night, it cost me $4.50 a day to drive my car or spend an hour at a supercharger..... my time is worth more than that, and I think the best benefit of the car is not having to waste time at a gas station - every morning I leave with a full 'tank'

According to OP, he's experiencing this at all SC's less than 100 miles from his house. That's a huge radius and makes absolutely no sense give the fact they TM has been expanding the LA area and will continue to do so according to their map. If this is true, then every owner in the LA area will not see max charge rate at Rancho Cucamonga, Culver City, Hawtorne and Redondo Beach.

Also, it doesn't make sense to limit max charge based on locality and overall usage because there are people who commute long distances, or drive a lot like sales people and real estate agents. And people who go on road trips will no longer get max charge on their return leg at a SC within 100 miles of their home?!

According to OP, he's experiencing this at all SC's less than 100 miles from his house. That's a huge radius and makes absolutely no sense give the fact they TM has been expanding the LA area and will continue to do so according to their map. If this is true, then every owner in the LA area will not see max charge rate at Rancho Cucamonga, Culver City, Hawtorne and Redondo Beach.

Also, it doesn't make sense to limit max charge based on locality and overall usage because there are people who commute long distances, or drive a lot like sales people and real estate agents. And people who go on road trips will no longer get max charge on their return leg at a SC within 100 miles of their home?!

...and others have reported no limiting on local chargers used regularly, and others reporting limiting on ones > 100m, and plenty of other anomalies, which is why I suggest not drawing conclusions based on incomplete data. We can complain about a new policy once it's confirmed that it is, indeed, a new policy.

And in that case we can probably debate it here: Supercharging only aka
or here: Is anyone only charging for free at a supercharger?
or here: Supercharging Only

Last edited:
Tesla is definitely messing around with it for reasons we don't know. I had the exact same issue on a road trip from Los Angeles to Phoenix. 2 of the 3 Superchargers I used were maxing out at 60 kW. Both on the way there and on the way back. It added an extra hour of time to my entire trip and made me late for a meeting. Both Superchargers were empty. Same happened at Hawthorne about a month before. I even called Tesla both times and they had no clue what was going on. Each time they promised to call back but didn't. Since then I have not had these issues at any of my local SC.

I'm getting a little nervous seeing more people having these issues. Elon once said Supercharging speed (120 kW and tapering it down towards the end) is actually on the conservative side to make sure batteries last long. So throttling to half the speed for battery life can't be the issue. Throttling for peak demand fees from the utilities definitely wasn't the cause in my case. There were no other cars charging on a 8/10 stall station.

I really want to hear an official statement from Tesla about these issues. What the service center said sounds pretty frustrating and makes no sense from any point of view.

Tesla is definitely messing around with it for reasons we don't know. I had the exact same issue on a road trip from Los Angeles to Phoenix. 2 of the 3 Superchargers I used were maxing out at 60 kW. Both on the way there and on the way back. It added an extra hour of time to my entire trip and made me late for a meeting. Both Superchargers were empty. Same happened at Hawthorne about a month before. I even called Tesla both times and they had no clue what was going on. Each time they promised to call back but didn't. Since then I have not had these issues at any of my local SC.

I experienced limited charging once at Barstow on a trip to Las Vegas. Weather was really cold so I chalked it up to that. On the return trip a few days later, Barstow was no longer limiting charge when the weather was warmer. Could also have been a problem with the utility company and out of TM control.

I really want to hear an official statement from Tesla about these issues. What the service center said sounds pretty frustrating and makes no sense from any point of view.

I think we all do. I'm sure we'll hear of something more definitive if we all report times where SOC is < 50% and we see 60 kW max to a) the supercharging number and b) the service center. Tesla tends to respond to a significant number of tickets getting opened. My wife will be SC'ing tomorrow at Normal, IL - more than 100 miles away. If I see 60 kW max, I'll be reporting it.

Here's what a good curve looks like, for those of you who want to compare how many miles you arrived with, versus how much charging current you should be seeing:

Supercharging Taper Curve for D+ Pack - Page 2

(Good for rev B 85 kWh packs and later only, "normal" ambient temperatures...)

Another member and I experienced 3B charging at roughly half of what 1A was charging at the newly opened Ardmore, OK SC. Maybe the #3 cabinet had half the chargers offline. I don't know. I didn't try any other chargers after seeing 1A was full power.

Another member and I experienced 3B charging at roughly half of what 1A was charging at the newly opened Ardmore, OK SC. Maybe the #3 cabinet had half the chargers offline. I don't know. I didn't try any other chargers after seeing 1A was full power.

1) Did your car, or another car, behave differently at 1A versus 3B? If so, then STOP. The speculation does not apply. Do not continue with this MAP. Continue instead with MAP 17-34A3: Diagnosing Supercharger power differences.

Bonus points to those - who date themselves and understand the MAP reference. Extra bonus points to people who can produce a photo of a MAP book from earlier than the 1990's. :)

I'm experiencing a similar issue, at least at the Fremont factory Supercharger. A couple of weeks ago my car went in for service (based on a proactive call by Tesla a month or two prior). They also addressed a "vehicle coolant low" warning issue and also updated the software to current.

Since then, my Supercharging speed has been a bit slower, similar to the 165 Amp max in the screenshot posted by Obsoletion in this thread. I've tried stall 1A, 5B, and 6B. I'm generally carefully to avoid occupied paired stalls. Last night I went to do a test fill-up and there was no one else charging so I had the whole lot to myself and both 5B and 6B still had the slower charging rate for me. It was probably between 55 - 65 degrees outside and I had done maybe half an hour of driving prior so the battery temp wouldn't be cold. What used to take 30 minutes is now about 40 - 45 minutes.

Both times I charged, I gave support a call and they took logs and told me someone would get back to me the next day. The first time I had to follow-up to get a response. This second time no one has yet to return my call. I suspect the service center knows what's going on or they've been told to keep quiet/discourage talking about it until the official announcement's made.

I live in the same city as the factory and Supercharge there once or twice a week. Right before I went into service/updated to the most recent software version, I did a Bay Area -> Monterey -> Las Vegas -> San Diego -> Bay Area road trip and almost exclusively Supercharged and never had this issue. Since my only practical option at home is to charge via 110V, I'm hoping I'm not throttled at Superchargers going forward.

1) Did your car, or another car, behave differently at 1A versus 3B? If so, then STOP. The speculation does not apply. Do not continue with this MAP. Continue instead with MAP 17-34A3: Diagnosing Supercharger power differences.

Bonus points to those - who date themselves and understand the MAP reference. Extra bonus points to people who can produce a photo of a MAP book from earlier than the 1990's. :)

Extra, EXTRA bonus points if anyone can tell me what on Earth you are on about!

Someone needs to email Jerome and ask if this is all fabricated or if there's really something going on. Also what is the software version number everyone who experienced this is using? (Aka if it's only latest and I haven't upgraded to it yet then I want to make sure I don't upgrade my software and lose the 120kWh charging rate)