Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car won't charge faster than 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps 60kw is the default safe fallback when something doesn't line up perfectly. Some combination of supercharger firmware/car firmware perhaps is triggering this erroneously? The one time I was very obviously throttled to exactly 60kw at the Burlington NC supercharger, I tried three of the four pairs on the supercharger, all of which were throttled to exactly 60kw with no other cars there. The next time I went to that supercharger was over a month later with no issues running at 100kw+. I chalked it up to being a really hot day, but who knows. This was in June 2014 (IIRC) by the way, not recently.

Just another data point - charged last week at the new Charlotte SC, 30 mi from my house. SOC around 45% (114/265). 366V X 154A = 56kW. Tried stalls 1A, 1B, and 2A. All the same charging rate. No other cars charging.

IMG_4327.jpg

Someone needs to email Jerome and ask if this is all fabricated or if there's really something going on. Also what is the software version number everyone who experienced this is using? (Aka if it's only latest and I haven't upgraded to it yet then I want to make sure I don't upgrade my software and lose the 120kWh charging rate)

^This. Someone who has experienced this issue repeatedly. I haven't supercharged in over a month. Last time I did everything seemed normal and I sustained well over 60 kW for several minutes.

If Tesla is doing this bc of SpC network expansion pains, then they need to stop new construction. I would rather deal with the existing network at full capacity rather than a crippled network that delivers half as advertised.

Perhaps 60kw is the default safe fallback when something doesn't line up perfectly. Some combination of supercharger firmware/car firmware perhaps is triggering this erroneously? The one time I was very obviously throttled to exactly 60kw at the Burlington NC supercharger, I tried three of the four pairs on the supercharger, all of which were throttled to exactly 60kw with no other cars there. The next time I went to that supercharger was over a month later with no issues running at 100kw+. I chalked it up to being a really hot day, but who knows. This was in June 2014 (IIRC) by the way, not recently.

I've SpC several times in 100+ F heat and seen rates much higher than 60 kW at the low end of the taper curve.

Again, everything in this thread that isn't a data point detailing home location, supercharger location, and charging rate is all speculation. There is a reason we're seeing some limits but it is unknown at this point. Can we keep it to data points please until we have enough? I'm especially interested in those data points where Supercharging is taking place at greater than 60 kW within 100 miles from home. Perhaps Tesla is considering limiting local Supercharging, but we simply don't know that yet.

And for what it's worth, I've found that Jerome's email is generally overrun. I think we'll get the best answer if everyone who has seen 60 kW limit at SOC less than 50 pct and "normal" ambient temps files a service ticket and reports out to the supercharger number.

This sounds somewhat unlikely. Tesla wants to get a hold on the Asian market and most people there will have to use supercharging all the time (as garages/parking spaces next to house are quite rare there) and increasing the time this process takes is not gonna be good for Tesla. I can imagine that Tesla is having supply problems though to the superchargers. 120kw is a lot of energy to sap from the grid.

I live close to 3. Squamish (48 miles) and Hope, BC (90 miles) I had the limit in the past month. Last weekend I went to Seattle and both times the stop at Burlington, WA (70 miles) where I got normal expected rates, at least 90 at start.

FWIW, I've charged my D at Silverthorne several times over the last month and never seen any sign of throttling; the last time was just last week, with the car running .179 firmware. I consistently start my charge session at 117-118kW, with an SOC between 40-45%. Silverthorne is 85.4 road miles from my home, somewhat less as the crow flies.

I've also taken a couple of long road trips via Supercharger since getting the D, and never saw throttling at any of the more distant SpCs, either.

I thought tesla were looking at charging faster not slower?

i don't really know how they work but don't they deliver max charge rates by supplementing power from a energy store underground?

Could be wrong but if the energy store is depleted due to a busy day and the energy store hasn't refilled perhaps that is why it's slow.

I think the next logical question to ask - assuming Tesla doesn't just make an announcement: those of you who are routinely noticing the 60kW/hr limit: how often do you Supercharge and for how long have you been doing this? In contrast, those that have not experienced the 60kW/hr limit: how often do you Supercharge and how long have you been doing that? We should be able to see if there's a correlation between "excessive use" and throttling. So far I have noticed P85+ seem to have throttling (and most of them have been in the wild >6 months) and the D's have not (all < 3 months old).
At least weekly Supercharge: Yes/No?
For at least the past year: Yes/No?
Experienced throttling, without being in the second stall of a pair, or car excessively hot or cold: Yes/No?
Battery pack type, if you know it?

ps I am a little mystified by the "I can only get 110V at home" comments. Power is distributed to residences throughout the USA at 220-240 V, so if you can get anything, you should be able to get 220-240V, no? Your amps may be limited, but your voltage shouldn't be. Unless its a circuit breaker thing. Do 240V breakers take up more room in a panel than 120V?

Hello Tonl! My local service center said that the issues is with the superchargers! Have you tried any other superchargers? Let us know if you do try any other supercharger.

I have experienced this on 2 superchargers that I use on my DC-NJ route. I'll try another one on Monday and report back.

Hi PunchIT.

Here is my data:
Nearest SC is 42km/26 miles from my home town. Call Lier North (A) and Lier South (B) Both is on each side of the highway. See the screenshot below. I charges here once a week.

Lier North 4 stall (1a, 1b, 2a and 2b).
Lier South 8 stall (1a to 4b).

I tried every stall on both SC. There's is now different. I got max 60kw even my batteries is 5%, 10 % etc. I was alone when I charged. I have used Lier Supercharge since september 2014. Not problem at all. The problem occour for the last 3 weeks and after I got the latest FW, 6.1(2.2.173). My local service center said the same. The issues is with the superchargers. But I don't buy it. Why? Because there's was a guy who used the same stall as I used before I leave and he got almost 100kw. When I used the same stall as a guy before me. No problems for him at all. Last night I came to talk with a guy who charged on stall 3B and I was on 1a. He got 105 kw. The distance from Lier SC to his home is 70km/43 miles.

My second nearest SC is call Sollie SC. Distance from home to this SC is 80km/49miles. Here is 6 stall. I don't have problem here at all. I got 101kw last time I charged there, the day after I charged at Lier SC.

LierSC.jpg

I think the next logical question to ask - assuming Tesla doesn't just make an announcement: those of you who are routinely noticing the 60kW/hr limit: how often do you Supercharge and for how long have you been doing this? In contrast, those that have not experienced the 60kW/hr limit: how often do you Supercharge and how long have you been doing that? We should be able to see if there's a correlation between "excessive use" and throttling. So far I have noticed P85+ seem to have throttling (and most of them have been in the wild >6 months) and the D's have not (all < 3 months old).
At least weekly Supercharge: Yes/No?
For at least the past year: Yes/No?
Experienced throttling, without being in the second stall of a pair, or car excessively hot or cold: Yes/No?
Battery pack type, if you know it?

ps I am a little mystified by the "I can only get 110V at home" comments. Power is distributed to residences throughout the USA at 220-240 V, so if you can get anything, you should be able to get 220-240V, no? Your amps may be limited, but your voltage shouldn't be. Unless its a circuit breaker thing. Do 240V breakers take up more room in a panel than 120V?

Here is my post ffrom thread: My car won't charge faster than 60kW - Page 4

Here is my data:
Nearest SC is 42km/26 miles from my home town. Call Lier North (A) and Lier South (B) Both is on each side of the highway. See the screenshot below. I charges here once a week since september 2014.

Lier North 4 stall (1a, 1b, 2a and 2b).
Lier South 8 stall (1a to 4b).

I tried every stall on both SC. There's is now different. I got max 60kw even my batteries is 5%, 10 % etc. I was alone when I charged. I have used Lier Supercharge since september 2014. Not problem at all. The problem occour for the last 3 weeks and after I got the latest FW, 6.1(2.2.173). My local service center said the issues is with the superchargers. But I don't buy it. Why? Because there's was a guy who used the same stall as I used before I leave and he got almost 100kw. When I used the same stall as a guy before me. No problems for him at all. Last night I came to talk with a guy who charged on stall 3B and I was on 1a. He got 105 kw. The distance from Lier SC to his home is 70km/43 miles.

My second nearest SC is call Sollie SC. Distance from home to this SC is 80km/49miles. Here is 6 stall. I don't have problem here at all. I got 101kw last time I charged there, the day after I charged at Lier SC.
LierSC.jpg

While we await an official announcement (if there is one) I can add some speculation.

Tesla is testing ways to discourage locals from "abusing" Superchargers...they know where we live & if we can charge at home but if they see "abuse" (fill in definition) they have a number of options to choose from, instead of 100 miles maybe 25 radius or simply the one closest to home gets "excessive use" limit. My last 3 visits to SpC in Los Angeles I have witnessed cars being dropped off to charge & the owner leaving in another car, if this is being done regularly & the car is left for several hours maybe Tesla should modify its rules of use, we all know what Elon promised but maybe its time to add some fine print.

Recently Tesla has been making some changes like service valet being limited to 10 miles so I wouldn't be surprised if Supercharging limits on local abusers defined by them is introduced.

Maybe some of you are part of this random test certainly not implying anyone is an abuser.

While we await an official announcement (if there is one) I can add some speculation.

Tesla is testing ways to discourage locals from "abusing" Superchargers...they know where we live & if we can charge at home but if they see "abuse" (fill in definition) they have a number of options to choose from, instead of 100 miles maybe 25 radius or simply the one closest to home gets "excessive use" limit. My last 3 visits to SpC in Los Angeles I have witnessed cars being dropped off to charge & the owner leaving in another car, if this is being done regularly & the car is left for several hours maybe Tesla should modify its rules of use, we all know what Elon promised but maybe its time to add some fine print.

Recently Tesla has been making some changes like service valet being limited to 10 miles so I wouldn't be surprised if Supercharging limits on local abusers defined by them is introduced.

Maybe some of you are part of this random test certainly not implying anyone is an abuser.

Definitely speculation.....

Abused? What about those who driver alot in one day and/or everyday and need quick charging.

FWIW, I've charged my D at Silverthorne several times over the last month and never seen any sign of throttling; the last time was just last week, with the car running .179 firmware. I consistently start my charge session at 117-118kW, with an SOC between 40-45%. Silverthorne is 85.4 road miles from my home, somewhat less as the crow flies.

What?! 120 kW at 40% SOC? That's unheard of. The taper point for 120 kW is usually somewhere right around 20% IIRC. Are you sure about that?