Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car won't charge faster than 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could, but I don't think a full house is really a huge problem for most sites...at least yet, so slower turnover might not result in queuing and thus might not end up a problem anyway. It would also make more power available to the out of towner on a paired charger, which is probably a good thing in most peoples eyes. And...I'd guess some locals would charge less frequently, so there could be fewer cars per day at a location.

If 'slow local charging' is a well crafted official statement, it may change the culture of new owners right off the bat. Instead of feeling slighted like existing owners, new owners could be simply be conditioned from the off to not waste their time charging locally.

I think it would be a big mistake if TM does this. There are owners, like me, who drive a lot for work. 2-3 days a week, I travel 200+ miles around SoCal and by the time I get to Oxnard, which is 23 miles from home, I sometimes have 15 miles or less remaining. And on the rare occasion, I sometimes have to turn around and drive back to LA. Throttled charging would seriously be disruptive and does not make any sense since congestion is not an issue at any SC except for SJC. If this is real to discourage local charging in favor of long distance travelers, why continue to build out SCs in the SoCal? According to TMs map, there are going to be 7 SCs in the greater LA area by 2016.

Also, why would TM presume to know any local's lifestyle? I go out with my wife at least once a week and if I could not get max charge at Oxnard that would seriously screw up our plans: restaurant reservations, childcare provider, movie showtime, etc.

Last edited:
Thats my plan. I never have charged at those but they are within 60 miles

Denarius charged at > 60 kW and is 20 miles from his SC. My car won't charge faster than 60kW - Page 15
AmpedRealtor charged at > 60 kW and is 2 miles from his SC. My car won't charge faster than 60kW - Page 12

Both ref this thread.

Not enough data points yet to conclude. Please help stop the crazy speculation! Data points welcome, along with data analysis to help reach a conclusion, but be prepared to address the entire data set in this topic. Avoid open speculation without data to back it up.

- - - Updated - - -

So I guess now I need to send an email to my DS and salesperson and show them this thread. I think I'm going to need something in writing that they're not going to throttle me or at least a response from them that Tesla is not throttling anyone intentionally.

Good idea. I wouldn't point them at this thread, but I would offer a note saying that you have read that there seems to be a wide range of owners who are experiencing limited charging rates at superchargers, getting 60 kW charging power maximum, and that there doesn't seem to be any sort of pattern to it yet. Explain that one owner was told by a service center that Tesla was working on some sort of policy with regard to limited Supercharging rates, but it has not been corroborated, and that you would like a firm answer as to whether this is a bug or something Tesla is introducing before you feel comfortable accepting your car. Then see what they say in response. I wouldn't pose it as a demand for something in writing, but rather just as a simple query.

Why? Who cares if someone speculates on an interesting phenomenon? Its just the internet...

Because it reduces the signal to noise ratio and stirs a bunch of people up for no good reason. No need to deal in that kind of BS (especially when the data disproves the speculation but is overpowered by the emotion).

I still don't see what is wrong in having a nominal cost for local users? Discourages free loaders, and should have minimal impact on apartment dwellers. At $.10 per kWh someone exclusively charging at a local SC would end up paying around $25 per 1000 miles, compared to $125 on gasoline.

Tesla installed a number of superchargers, a few miles apart, all over London *specifically* for local users to charge. Home charging just isn't an option for many people here.

Why go to that expense of setting up a convenient infrastructure for locals and then deliberately crippling it? I just don't buy it.

Just got back from the Fremont Supercharger (I live 10 miles away). I was the only one there again and this time used stall 4A - full speed charging. Ambient temp was 66 F and at around 55% SoC I was getting about 75 kW. Perhaps it's stall-dependent, or Tesla's experimenting with the stall throughput settings … or they've been reading this thread. Or something else. S85 running .179 firmware.

I still don't see what is wrong in having a nominal cost for local users? Discourages free loaders, and should have minimal impact on apartment dwellers. At $.10 per kWh someone exclusively charging at a local SC would end up paying around $25 per 1000 miles, compared to $125 on gasoline.

It would be changing the contract retroactively. People who have purchased 85 or 60 with supercharger, have signed a contract with Tesla with free supercharging for life.

Using a service that you already paid for in advance is not the same thing as freeloading.

I still don't see what is wrong in having a nominal cost for local users?
"Right" or "Wrong," adding a cost would require a change in written policy regarding Models S at Tesla Superchargers.

True or coincidental and speculative, Limiting wattage at any Tesla Supercharger would NOT contradict the wording on the TM Supercharger web page as noted upthread.

Adding a cost, locality-based or otherwise, for future models would also not contradict the web page wording:

How much does it cost to use the Supercharger?
Supercharging is free for the life of Model S, once the Supercharger option is enabled.

Why is it free?
We want to encourage Model S owners to take road trips.

Will it always be free?
Yes, Superchargers will be free to use for Supercharging-enabled vehicles for the life of Model S.

Just Read The Instructions! :)

Last edited:
I am waiting for the Tesla announcement. No question this 60Kw limit is happening. The only reason I came looking on the thread was that it was happening to me. Now I found a lot of others I kind of feel better and won't book it into a service center just yet. Making local people charge longer at Fremont just adds to the misery of everyone else so it wouldn't seem a wise move. The other thing I noticed since the last update was that now I don't have full regen when the battery is coldish, the yellow line appears that normally says the battery is too full to accept maximum regen. Since my garage only gets down to about 50F I am not sure what is going on there either. The yellow line goes away as I drive a bit. So with the 60Kw limit and yellow line appearance someone is playing around with the battery software.
I do hope they come clean soon or we'll all have to flood the service centers with our cars and that's not good either.

Because it reduces the signal to noise ratio and stirs a bunch of people up for no good reason.

No, it doesnt.

Discouraging well intentioned dialogue has always been a bad idea.

- - - Updated - - -

The other thing I noticed since the last update was that now I don't have full regen when the battery is coldish, the yellow line appears that normally says the battery is too full to accept maximum regen. Since my garage only gets down to about 50F I am not sure what is going on there either. The yellow line goes away as I drive a bit.

That happens (and has always happened) with a lot of people. Could be your software, could be coincidence.

Somewhat related, In my ~1500 foot morning descent I can pretty much always get regen limiting to pop up (near the bottom of the hill) regardless of soak temps or ambient temps or SOC. It goes away seconds or minutes later.