Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My concerns about the Audi É-Tron (Quebec)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

The Audi E-Tron is coming out in dealers soon and I can’t not wait to see it on the roads. This thread is less so about the car itself, but its’ unfortunate name and connotation in Quebec as well as in France.

The name E-Tron, I guess means, Elec-Tronic or something of the sort. In french: Élec-Tronique. During the Super Bowl LII, there was an ad on the Audi E-Tron, in french, and presented as the Audi Étron! In french, the word “étron” means fecal matter, in other words: a piece of *sugar*! which isn’t what I would want my car to be called.

I wonder if Audi is looking to change the name of the car for frenchies to avoid the negative connotation. Anyway, I’ll definitely have a laugh about this!

The Audi E-Tron is coming out in dealers soon and I can’t not wait to see it on the roads. This thread is less so about the car itself, but its’ unfortunate name and connotation in Quebec as well as in France.

The name E-Tron, I guess means, Elec-Tronic or something of the sort. In french: Élec-Tronique. During the Super Bowl LII, there was an ad on the Audi E-Tron, in french, and presented as the Audi Étron! In french, the word “étron” means fecal matter, in other words: a piece of *sugar*! which isn’t what I would want my car to be called.

I wonder if Audi is looking to change the name of the car for frenchies to avoid the negative connotation. Anyway, I’ll definitely have a laugh about this!

I think this is an awesome name! Most car names are insanely boring. But the shiitmobile? That's awesome!

On the topic of the e-tron, German industry magazine says Audi are getting pounded on it.
Tesla Model 3 cost surprised Porsche and Audi after reverse-engineering

That may be even worse than the Chevrolet blunder of some years ago when they tried to market Chevrolet Nova in South America. No va, in Spanish, means doesn't go. :)

Maybe the Germans are taking a stab at eee-old France ;)
Reminds me of the story about Nissan's first attempt to break into the North American market. Supposedly, they decided to consult with the Germans to help them choose a name for their cars. "Certainly, we can help", said the German consultants. "How soon do you need the name?" "Next week", said Nissan. "Dat soon?", replied the Germans.
And that's how the Datsun marque was born. :)