Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO Experience -Good and Bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the car August 2nd. Its a 2013 CPO with 40k miles and the 4 year/50k warranty. Got it home after 5-6 week wait but super excited. First day noticed the following issues:
1. Charging stops after adding 3-5 miles over night. Not happy about this. Did it 2 nights in a row with error saying charing interrupted
2. Strange grinding noise when a/c is on max (i live in Texas and it was 95 everyday last week)
3. got in car after car wash, and the fasten seatbelt light was on for passenger. It kept beeping at me and I could not get it to stop. Go to seat to see if I can adjust it, and the motor for the seat just keeps making a horrible grinding metallic noise and the seat can't move back or forward
Called Tesla and they tell me to bring it in right away due to fasten seatbelt warning can be dangerous because could trigger or turn off certain airbags in accident. I drop the car off and they give me a HYUNDAI as a loaner- not too excited given I have had the car for 4 days. I have a cpo but get a call saying that the seat rail was broken due to a coffee mug getting stuck under seat and ripping chair away from rails. They wanted to charge me 1300.00. I have never had a coffee or any food in the car and at this point I am super upset.
I drive to service center and this where things changed quickly. Manager greets me and says he was sorry for all the issues. I tell him it was not my coffee mug and that I shouldn't be responsible since the car was obviously not even cleared out and mug was there from previous owner. He shows me the mug and it obviously wasn't mine. He apologizes for the issue and said he would have warranty cover it. Of course a seat rail will now take 4 weeks to order, plus the other issues need repair too. The grinding noise is related to some A/C system issue (phantom issue that is intermittent but they found it which was awesome) They will now have the car for 3-4 weeks, but the awesome things is they are covering everything and spoiled me with a P85D with insane mode and 21's (my dream car) as loaner

Bottom line is Tesla will take care of you on these CPO and I would say to order away as I never felt like a used car buyer. Great customer service once they realized the situation as well ( that I only owned the car for 4 days)

Reactions: Ghosty and boaterva
Got it home after 5-6 week wait - snip - once they realized the situation as well

So, where is the "CPO" part of your buying experience? So, Tesla takes 5-6 weeks to get you a CPO vehicle, pencil whips it, (did they even clean it up before delivery?), and hands it over to you. Gives you initial grief on repair. Now, you have a 4 week wait on parts.....and you are happy with their Customer Service? The fact they gave you a loaner is irrelevant. The fact that these stories seem to repeat over and over again is relevant to prospective buyers.

Sorry Dan, struggling to find the "Good" in your title....anywhere in your experience. Anywhere.

So, where is the "CPO" part of your buying experience? So, Tesla takes 5-6 weeks to get you a CPO vehicle, pencil whips it, (did they even clean it up before delivery?), and hands it over to you. Gives you initial grief on repair. Now, you have a 4 week wait on parts.....and you are happy with their Customer Service? The fact they gave you a loaner is irrelevant. The fact that these stories seem to repeat over and over again is relevant to prospective buyers.

Sorry Dan, struggling to find the "Good" in your title....anywhere in your experience. Anywhere.

I see the frustration, but I guess I value free loaner miles more than most. ESP in OPs own words "dream car".. you have to pay time deprecation, but not miles (and drive a 'better' or equal car).

At least they took care of it... but I agree with you it was a little bit frustrating especially since they had the car at the local service center for almost 4-5 weeks of the initial wait time and it still didn't iron out the issues. I also now realize I got a bad cable. I plugged the loaner in with my plug and had the same charging issue. I used the loaner plug that came with the loaner, and magically it worked perfectly. So another issue now that they never tested my charging cable. I might just keep theirs at this point and swap them.. haha

but I guess I value free loaner miles more than most

I value my time, and stress free existence more than most. I get it, but the list of excuses for Tesla by excited, loyal customers is long, and doesn't seem to shorten. These experiences, still, keep my money on the sidelines...while all 3 of my ICE vehicles never see the inside of the service center.

WELL THIS ISN'T GOOD! I just pulled my other car into the drive way and noticed something on the rear tires of the loaner... That would be the steel belting showing through on the inside the tire. I have 2 kids and was driving on this on the freeway today. I have had a car split a tire and spin out (was passenger) and reason was the tire was uneven wear on the inside. Not safe and not happy.

Attachments

• tesla tire.jpg
    tesla tire.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 109
I agree, and wasnt happy how they accused me of the issue like it was my fault and even asked for my authorization to order the part and pay 1300.00. They corrected it once they knew I just picked up the car, but still its crazy