Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Door Trim Discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone try this?
Used for removing acid rain, severe swirls and holograms. This was one of the products recommended by the previous poster who contacted Tesla.
I doubt an official from Tesla would recommend you use a cutter. The trim is anodized aluminum. You run it thru a car wash with hard PH it will cause a chemical reaction. The discoloration is that result. Using a compound to sand the top layer away is... doing something but I'm not sure its the right way. You scrub away enough and bam, it's gonna be all silver not black. I'd mask it and paint it before sanding it down. And on the topic of sanding it down a mirror glaze could take years by hand. <--hyperbole

So I’ve tried to scan through the 10 pages of this thread and I have a question - has anyone just wiped down their trim upon exiting the car wash before it has a chance to dry? Does this help avoid the issue? Just wondering if it’s more of a residue or an actual reaction.

Coming up on winter in Minnesota. I am planning to try rinseless washes in my garage (or maybe a spray down rinse at a self serve coin wash to get the worst off, followed by the rinseless), but January and February will be brutal. Don’t want to use a touchless or automatic if I can avoid it, but if a simple wipe down after will help avoid the problem I’ll give it a shot.

I do this, but with a rag with spray wax on it.

Or wait til I get home and do it. It takes 1 minute.

My Y was also discolored. It cost me $1700.00 from Tesla to replace trim. They changed their warranty policy in 2020 and it is not covered. I am planning to Ziebart it (Ceramic coating). Does anyone know if this is a sure fix. The Ziebart dealer has not heard of anyone doing this, so he doesn’t feel it will be 100 % effective. I am 65, never hand washed my car, and do not want to start now. Any suggestions?

My Y was also discolored. It cost me $1700.00 from Tesla to replace trim. They changed their warranty policy in 2020 and it is not covered. I am planning to Ziebart it (Ceramic coating). Does anyone know if this is a sure fix. The Ziebart dealer has not heard of anyone doing this, so he doesn’t feel it will be 100 % effective. I am 65, never hand washed my car, and do not want to start now. Any suggestions?
Get a chrome delete on it. That’s an actual physical black vinyl product that goes on it. Mine was ceramic coated and it didn’t do a thing to protect it.

Geez $1700 just to replace the trim... Definitely would have just covered it with a chrome delete and saved a ton of money.

My 2021 Model Y is having this issue as well. The service center in Milwaukee is instructed to not replace the trim (sounds like it would continue being an issue anyway). This is one of a handful of issues I've had with my car and it is not something I'm happy about on an expensive car like this. Completely ridiculous that this hasn't been addressed by Tesla. As much as I love driving the car, I do not like spending so much time at the service station or looking at the rainbow discoloration on my exterior trim. They are going to use a 1% hydrochloric acid solution to clean the trim when they come out for a couple other issues, so I thought I'd add that as a possible remedy - I didn't read through all 11 pages so if that's already been mentioned it will be on here twice.

• Informative
Reactions: LwlPeak and Bikeman
My 2021 Model Y is having this issue as well. The service center in Milwaukee is instructed to not replace the trim (sounds like it would continue being an issue anyway). This is one of a handful of issues I've had with my car and it is not something I'm happy about on an expensive car like this. Completely ridiculous that this hasn't been addressed by Tesla. As much as I love driving the car, I do not like spending so much time at the service station or looking at the rainbow discoloration on my exterior trim. They are going to use a 1% hydrochloric acid solution to clean the trim when they come out for a couple other issues, so I thought I'd add that as a possible remedy - I didn't read through all 11 pages so if that's already been mentioned it will be on here twice.
Let us know if the 1% HCL works.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
Any update?

Wait, what? How did it cost $1700? They replaced the top molding (the one long single piece that goes all the way back from the mirror to the rear qtr window) due to a delivery defect, it was a $33 part and they charged $68 for labor. Both items covered under warranty. Are the belt trim pieces like $300 a piece? That doesn't make sense.

Wait, what? How did it cost $1700? They replaced the top molding (the one long single piece that goes all the way back from the mirror to the rear qtr window) due to a delivery defect, it was a $33 part and they charged $68 for labor. Both items covered under warranty. Are the belt trim pieces like $300 a piece? That doesn't make sense.
I was quoted $650 in parts for the upper and lower trim for both sides of the car and an additional $157 in labor to replace them. The trim at the very back around the little glass window is PART of the window and each side was expensive, if I recall like $400 each or something plus labor.

Thought I'd show my newly ruined trim..

Attachments

• IMG_20211109_144409.jpg
    IMG_20211109_144409.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 251
  • Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
Thought I'd show my newly ruined trim..
Exactly how mine looked. Much of that will clean up, but in sunlight you'll have a faint but noticeable haze in the same pattern as you see now... really frustrating. Was going to replace the trim for ~$800 but my family has run into some medical issues so I might decide not to blow money on something that while annoying doesn't affect the cars drivability and honestly most people don't notice unless close to it.