Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Door Trim Discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I reading you correct that they fixed it? My 2023 MY has this problem and after six months I finally noticed it first on a passenger side sill. It’s not happening the same to all of the trim, just certain sections.
I am actually very upset if their response is simply “stop using commercial car washes.” You mean Tesla knew about this 3 years ago and no warning when I took delivery? Frankly my deliver experience was bad on many levels, but how to take care of the car (for those of us new to EV and Tesla in particular) should involve more than just “go download the Tesla app and goodbye.”
In my experience, stainless steel wipes will clean this right off.

Yep, the Sterling, VA Service Center replaced all my window trim at no charge.

The advisor said this was a known issue in vehicles made before Nov 2020...and mine was made in Sep 2020. In Nov 2020, they supposedly made some change to the anodization or coating process or something, or at least that was what she told me.

It's hard to say if vehicle made after the Nov 2020 date still ended up getting the older trim parts anyway. I'd guess yes, given Tesla's infamously sketchy parts chain management.

My October 2021 build MYLR gets the trim discolorations shown here. But it's easily removed, and I typically wash my vehicle only when it needs it - and even during Winter months I try to not be too picky. So it hasn't been a big problem - but I'd prefer that it not happen.

I don't know if I got "older" trim pieces, or if the updated pieces are still susceptible to the same discolorations. I was one of the "lucky" ones to get an old non-CCS compatible charge port ECU board so... who really knows what other old parts Tesla pulled from the dark hidden corners of their shelves. 🤷‍♂️

My October 2021 build MYLR gets the trim discolorations shown here. But it's easily removed, and I typically wash my vehicle only when it needs it - and even during Winter months I try to not be too picky. So it hasn't been a big problem - but I'd prefer that it not happen.
A lot of people in these Tesla trim discoloration threads say it's easily removed. However, my experience was that it returned almost immediately regardless of which of the various methods I used. I'm happy they didn't argue with me and just replaced the defective, substandard Tesla parts with later versions to prevent the issue.

The reason it returns almost immediately if one removes it is that the coating/anodization is supposed to be there to repel oil, dirt, contaminants, etc. As soon as that layer is gone, no amount of "removal" of the oily/dirt buildup can prevent it from coming back. I suspect there's also some outgassing going on as well.

And, frankly, it's ridiculous. Tons of other brands use nearly identical anodized aluminum or other trim materials around their windows and exterior and are careful to use good vendors for these parts and they perform quality control and environmental testing to insure quality. Tesla? Not so much.

Yep, the Sterling, VA Service Center replaced all my window trim at no charge.

The advisor said this was a known issue in vehicles made before Nov 2020...and mine was made in Sep 2020. In Nov 2020, they supposedly made some change to the anodization or coating process or something, or at least that was what she told me.

It's hard to say if vehicle made after the Nov 2020 date still ended up getting the older trim parts anyway. I'd guess yes, given Tesla's infamously sketchy parts chain management.

It's in their interest to fix it for anyone who asks. They shouldn't want Teslas driving around looking like that.

I'm thrilled with the all-electric Volvo XC40, by the way. Much higher build quality in every respect. The new Volvo EX30 looks pretty good, too....and muuuuuch less expensive than a Model Y.
How’s the Sterling VA service center? I have an appoint for door alignment and broken passenger seat motor on a Model3 I recently picked up for my son.

Hey guys this is easily addressed. Just use Chemical guys heavy duty water spot remover. It will look good as new in Just a wipe.
They must have changed the trim then at some point. Before this was a chemical etching process that was chemically altering the black anodized metal. There's nothing to clean off. You can cover it up with products, but the actual metal and anodized layer had been changed from the pH of the wash chemicals.

Tesla will not replace exterior trim discolored by carwashes. I was charged $1,100 on Monday for trim around rear fixed side windows on my Model Y. The car has been garaged indoors and I took it only to a brushless carwash. Tesla claims warranty for exterior trim voided unless car is hand washed. I understand from Tesla personnel that about 50% of owners have this problem. I'm driving my first and last Tesla.

Tesla will not replace exterior trim discolored by carwashes. I was charged $1,100 on Monday for trim around rear fixed side windows on my Model Y. The car has been garaged indoors and I took it only to a brushless carwash. Tesla claims warranty for exterior trim voided unless car is hand washed. I understand from Tesla personnel that about 50% of owners have this problem. I'm driving my first and last Tesla.
The problem with the trim around fixed rear side windows was that the veneer warn away down to the underlying white paint.

Maybe we need a class action. Who makes a car that can't survive a 'car wash'?
I think a lot of cars say to hand wash only... owners can make their mind up on if they want to or not.

Car washes could also use far less harsh chemicals, but then the car isn't as clean and customers complain.

I think this would be a hard one to win, especially since in the owners manual it says to hand wash only to avoid damage.

I'm 16 months in on my MYP with zero trim discoloration issues. I did coat everything with 2-coats of ceramic when it was new, and I run it through an automated car wash (with microfiber brushes and multiple soap/wax steps :eek:) a few times each month. No issues to date.

I'm 16 months in on my MYP with zero trim discoloration issues. I did coat everything with 2-coats of ceramic when it was new, and I run it through an automated car wash (with microfiber brushes and multiple soap/wax steps :eek:) a few times each month. No issues to date.
So the ones with brushes might actually be "better." Since they have a mechanical way of cleaning (using a brush) they often can use less potent chemicals. The touchless specifically use chemicals that are high and low pH, which is what causes the damage. A quick google search brings up some Car Wash owner forums (boy, there really is a place for everyone on the internet) and the first post I saw was an owner saying that customers were complaining about the wash not cleaning well enough. Owners are going to want the best cleaning possible, and/or may not maintain correct dilution ratios or equipment. Another poster recommended JBS chemicals and a quick look at the products shows Action Presoak High pH and looking at the safety data sheet (SDS) shows it has a pH of 14 (!) and contains potassium hydroxide. It's used because it's good at dissolving grease and grim. Potassium hydroxide can also be known as lye, which I think most will at least think of as a dangerous chemical that can burn your skin. Now I'm sure it's diluted a lot when used in car wash systems, and probably diluted more when used as a self service wash vs a drive through touchless wash. (Could you imagine kids spraying each other while washing a car and essentially spraying acid or caustic solutions on each other?! So probably very dilute)

There are also low pH wash chemicals used to help dissolve bug guts and stuff. It was a pH around 2.2, battery acid is often thought to be around a pH of 1. Water is around 7. One that I looked at contains phosphoric acid, which can be used for chemical polishing (etching) or metals like aluminum. Again, I'm not suggesting that in the concentrations used in car wash these chemicals do that, but this could be why some washes don't seem to damage the trim and others do. I doubt the owners are really paying attention to the quality of their systems and might think "more soap is better" kind of thing.

I just know it's not worth $1000 to $1500 for me to use a touch less, a SINGLE wash can screw up that trim big time, not worth the risk. I have used self washes and been fine which is what I do in the winter. I'll probably use self washes for the high pressure wash and then finish in my garage with a "waterless" wash once heavy solids have been washed off.

I never take my car to a car wash. Hand wash only and yet after only 11 weeks of ownership the rainbow effect is starting. That’s why I can hear for help.
I just used WD-40 on the trim. One squirt on a microfiber towel per side, and the marks are gone. When I washed the car the trim beaded perfectly so I didn’t apply any other treatments yet.
I’m convinced if they had deployed it against COVID we could have saved millions of lives.
WD fixes everything!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Kandiru
What products do you use to wash your car?
McGuiar’s Gold class car wash, wash mitt, dry with natural chamois skin.
Apply Cerakote rapid ceramic every 6 weeks.
IMG_3497.jpeg

McGuiar’s Gold class car wash, wash mitt, dry with natural chamois skin.
That would seem to be your problem, multiple people have reported the same results:

+1

I have 11 months with Meguiar's Gold and Optimum No Rinse (ONR) and my trim also looks like this.

I've been having the same issues with the window trim on MY. I only hand wash it and use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner.