Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Door Trim Discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you are using for washing the car is likely causing it. What product are you using?
I use quality wash products, mostly from Chemical Guys or CarPro. I never had discoloration before going to the touchless wash that one time. I believe the WD-40 and/or Weissman helped but it did not fully remove the markings, which is why some of them were visible again after washing.

After my last step with the polishing compound I had it professionally hand washed and it seems to be back to normal. Based on the list someone posted earlier from Tesla service I think polishing compounds are going to be the most effective way to remove this. That and using quality wash products and avoiding touchless washes.

A moment of weakness and the heat and smoke pushed me to do a touchless wash rather than by hand… DESTROYING the trim…

Of course I had a lovely couple in an X immediately pull next to me after the wash to ask questions about how I liked the Y and look around… had to explain to them what had just happened to the trim and felt horrible that my beautiful car looked a mess. Has anyone had to pay to have Tesla replace the window trim (both upper and lower window trim as well as the bit on the small little rear window). Curious what they’ll quote me if I can’t sweet talk them into a warranty replacement.

@JasontheBeaver

Do you do chrome delete on the Model Y? What kind of price would we be talking about and do you think you have a material that would fairly closely match the matte properties of the door handles?

Attachments

• 2315D4A1-9C8B-49CC-B31A-1FE954CF6EE1.jpeg
    2315D4A1-9C8B-49CC-B31A-1FE954CF6EE1.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 545
  • C995594E-8054-4D4E-BB89-96E7F7BE04D7.jpeg
    C995594E-8054-4D4E-BB89-96E7F7BE04D7.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 76B47FA0-934F-4181-97EB-722881C3851F.jpeg
    76B47FA0-934F-4181-97EB-722881C3851F.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 219
A moment of weakness and the heat and smoke pushed me to do a touchless wash rather than by hand… DESTROYING the trim…

Of course I had a lovely couple in an X immediately pull next to me after the wash to ask questions about how I liked the Y and look around… had to explain to them what had just happened to the trim and felt horrible that my beautiful car looked a mess. Has anyone had to pay to have Tesla replace the window trim (both upper and lower window trim as well as the bit on the small little rear window). Curious what they’ll quote me if I can’t sweet talk them into a warranty replacement

The rear quarter panel trim may be pricier than expected since the trim and glass come as one piece. My driver's side rear quarter trim was damaged when I took delivery.

Service center replaced it but unfortunately after I had already tinted my windows. Have to get that one window re-tinted this week.

Just had my car mobile detailed wash and wax. Trim came out severely discolored. Used the wieman stainless steel cleaner and it came right off. Not even 24 hours yet. Will update if it stays or not. My detailer said he will research this issue and see what can be done.

Attachments

• 78D54799-8477-46E3-9C69-64BB47D77613.jpeg
    78D54799-8477-46E3-9C69-64BB47D77613.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 255
Just had my car mobile detailed wash and wax. Trim came out severely discolored. Used the wieman stainless steel cleaner and it came right off. Not even 24 hours yet. Will update if it stays or not. My detailer said he will research this issue and see what can be done.
What is your mobile detailer using for soap? Acid? I’ve always cleaned my vehicle at home and have never had this happen. I hear about this happening to people who go thru the automatic drive thru. This should never happen when cleaning at home.

Ok reporting back. I drove the car around for about a week after the WD-40 plus Weiman treatment. This included a few stints of parking it outside in direct sun & 100 degree heat. The trim actually looked fine after this.

I went ahead and gave the car a good hand wash and made sure to go over the window trim a few extra times to try and wash off any residue. After rinsing and drying there were several spots where the discoloration was noticeable again. This time I went over all the trim with a TurtleWax Speed Compound. I rubbed it on firmly and then buffed it off. I’m not certain if this removed the discoloration or just covered it up, but it looks good again. I’ll report back again after my next wash.
Any follow up on this?

does ceramic coating the trim protect it from discoloration?
It will seal it up yes. However, as a result of ceramic coating is you will now have to avoid a lot of those chemical wash car washes and definitely avoid car washes with brushes and rollers. The chemicals used in no touch car washes can be very bad in general but they will break down the ceramic. That said my car is ceramic coated, did it myself, and I only hand wash at home via a power washer and foam cannon. I use chemical guys mr. pink soap, you don't even need a sponge since its ceramic coated the pressure pre-rinse will knock 99% of particulates off the car, then foam cannon and chamois dry. When I have time I'll boost the ceramic with mckees booster.

Reactions: dyau
A ~$800 replacement from Tesla can be done. That’s a chemical reaction with the metal trim. You can cover it up, but you can’t “clean” it off.

I had zero luck with ceramic coating. Had it professionally done and always added to it with a retail level ceramic during hand washes at home. Once through a touchless and totally ruined. Most if it rubbed/washed away, but you absolutely can see the pattern of it “ghosted” onto that black trim… unfortunately right at eye line when you step up to the car. I’m opting to have Tesla replace it during an upcoming mobile visit. (I’m not having the rear little quarter windows with trim replaced since those are another $800 or so just on their own since the trim is part of the glass. Thankfully those still look almost perfect for whatever reason.)

A ~$800 replacement from Tesla can be done. That’s a chemical reaction with the metal trim. You can cover it up, but you can’t “clean” it off.

I had zero luck with ceramic coating. Had it professionally done and always added to it with a retail level ceramic during hand washes at home. Once through a touchless and totally ruined. Most if it rubbed/washed away, but you absolutely can see the pattern of it “ghosted” onto that black trim… unfortunately right at eye line when you step up to the car. I’m opting to have Tesla replace it during an upcoming mobile visit. (I’m not having the rear little quarter windows with trim replaced since those are another $800 or so just on their own since the trim is part of the glass. Thankfully those still look almost perfect for whatever reason.)
Have you considered just getting the black trim covered with black vinyl? It would be cheaper than $800 and wouldn’t cause issues if you go thru an auto wash? Just curious as I have never been thru an auto wash and my trim looks fine. I only wash at home but could sometimes see the allure of an auto wash.

So I’ve tried to scan through the 10 pages of this thread and I have a question - has anyone just wiped down their trim upon exiting the car wash before it has a chance to dry? Does this help avoid the issue? Just wondering if it’s more of a residue or an actual reaction.

Coming up on winter in Minnesota. I am planning to try rinseless washes in my garage (or maybe a spray down rinse at a self serve coin wash to get the worst off, followed by the rinseless), but January and February will be brutal. Don’t want to use a touchless or automatic if I can avoid it, but if a simple wipe down after will help avoid the problem I’ll give it a shot.

Just as an FYI, I've had Opti Coat Pro since my first month of ownership 15+ months ago. Never been through a car wash. Hand washing with Opti Coat soap. Hand dried. And just about a month ago, all my black trim around the windows has started to show discoloration/etching. Although light, it is still there, but I've not tried to fix yet. When I bring back to my Opti Coat installer, I'm going to see if there is anything they can do.

Is this the experience of most that once it happens nothing can be done to clean it off? That seems outrageous. Ugh

Anyone try this?
Used for removing acid rain, severe swirls and holograms. This was one of the products recommended by the previous poster who contacted Tesla.

Attachments

• 8A1C1B9F-4B73-4460-857D-8C9F80B3FDA9.png
    8A1C1B9F-4B73-4460-857D-8C9F80B3FDA9.png
    871.8 KB · Views: 226
  • C2D07C6D-C731-42A3-B004-AC5F85E1C33A.jpeg
    C2D07C6D-C731-42A3-B004-AC5F85E1C33A.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 215

Yea, that is to be expected. Car washes use harsh chemicals that will break down the ceramic.

These car washes can wreck a ceramic coating in a matter of seconds. The soaps used are usually pH aggressive, kind of like an industrial detergent.