Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Eating Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electric cars don't eat tires. Their drivers do. All that marvelous torque is just too tempting to resist, and every rocket launch probably costs you 10¢ in electricity and 50¢ in shortened tire life.

A friend of mine has a Rivian R1S. I asked him what the acceleration was like. He said "I don't know. Every time I think about it, I remember it has a $3,000 set of tires on it."

Electric cars don't eat tires. Their drivers do. All that marvelous torque is just too tempting to resist, and every rocket launch probably costs you 10¢ in electricity and 50¢ in shortened tire life.

A friend of mine has a Rivian R1S. I asked him what the acceleration was like. He said "I don't know. Every time I think about it, I remember it has a $3,000 set of tires on it."

... and that fun is worth every cent!

• Love
Reactions: coleman567
Our 2007 Sienna actually had worst treadlife (multiple Michelins) compared to both our Model S and Model Y, and you know we didn't have the same level of fun driving the minivan.
I've driven the Sienna... well, two different ones. One was my brother's when I had to do shopping. The other belonged to the owner (now retired) of the restaurant I deliver for. The only thing I can really remember is... it's got high center of gravity (and everything that goes with that).

Of the owners of Siennas that I know, most drive it to haul restaurant supplies, meaning its usually really laden. And that, typically isn't good for tire wear.

Most Tesla owners do now realize how heavy Tesla cars are. You just don't feel it because the regen helps you to stop. Try the Track Mode (if applicable) or Brake Burnishing Mod which disables the regen completely, and try to drive around the town and you will definitely feel the heavy weight of the car.

Most Tesla owners do now realize how heavy Tesla cars are. You just don't feel it because the regen helps you to stop. Try the Track Mode (if applicable) or Brake Burnishing Mod which disables the regen completely, and try to drive around the town and you will definitely feel the heavy weight of the car.
Teslas are heavy relative to similarly sized ICE cars. But they are not necessarily heavy in an absolute sense. And they are the lightest EVs in the wild (for their sizes). My Model Y Long Range is almost 200 lbs. lighter than my last BMW sedan. That car didn't feel heavy and it didn't eat tires. (Well, it did eat tires when I enjoyed its torque.)

Teslas are heavy relative to similarly sized ICE cars. But they are not necessarily heavy in an absolute sense. And they are the lightest EVs in the wild (for their sizes). My Model Y Long Range is almost 200 lbs. lighter than my last BMW sedan. That car didn't feel heavy and it didn't eat tires. (Well, it did eat tires when I enjoyed its torque.)
Try what I said and you will know what I am talking about.

Likewise, try what I said, and you will know what I am talking about. In the grand scheme of things, a 4,500 lbs. car is not that heavy. There are tons of them (pun intended) to compare to that do not have regen. Most of the sporty mid- and full-size sedans are similar.
MY is compact SUV per EPA (please correct me if I am wrong) and those compact cars/SUVs are at least 1000 lbs lighter than MY/M3.

I've driven the Sienna... well, two different ones. One was my brother's when I had to do shopping. The other belonged to the owner (now retired) of the restaurant I deliver for. The only thing I can really remember is... it's got high center of gravity (and everything that goes with that).

Of the owners of Siennas that I know, most drive it to haul restaurant supplies, meaning its usually really laden. And that, typically isn't good for tire wear.
Our Sienna was the family car and didn't haul anything crazy heavy besides weekly Costco trips (which we also do in the Y). IIRC, the Sienna was around 4500 lbs and most of it situated up front so tire rotations regularly showed the fronts worn 2/32nds more than the rears. I started rotating the tires more frequently on the Sienna to keep the difference more reasonable. On the Y I see 1/32nd more wear on the rears at every other rotation (since tread balances out on every even-numbered rotation).

MY is compact SUV per EPA (please correct me if I am wrong) and those compact cars/SUVs are at least 1000 lbs lighter than MY/M3.
Yes, I commented on that exact point above. The MY is heavy relative to similarly sized cars, but not unusually heavy in an absolute sense.

The context of this thread is that it eats tires. Several associated weight with accelerated wear. Other sporty cars that weigh the same or more than the MY are not known for eating tires.

And, to the secondary sub-branch, those sporty cars that weigh the same or more than the MY do not necessarily have some special heavy feel.

Last edited:
I am going to disagree with my friend on this one. You should rotate the tires as recommended by the Tire Manufacturer ...

There is nothing wrong with a front to back rotation, but a cross-rotation is better.
Yeah, but which one? The industry group (TRIA) the sets the "standards" recommends rear-cross for identical tires on all-wheel or rear-drive cars. The mobile Tesla service person told me they do front-cross at the service center.

GET AN ALIGNMENT!!!!!!!!!!

There are a number of threads here saying that the Tesla alignment from the factory is hit and miss. I have 16k on my tires and they're perfect. A friend has 30k on a MYLR and his tires are in good shape. Lots of people with lots of miles on their tires.

Reactions: nate704
GET AN ALIGNMENT!!!!!!!!!!

There are a number of threads here saying that the Tesla alignment from the factory is hit and miss. I have 16k on my tires and they're perfect. A friend has 30k on a MYLR and his tires are in good shape. Lots of people with lots of miles on their tires.
My last alignment reminded me of the phrase, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it". Our Y rode comfortably on the OEM Contis and I never felt the ride was all that bumpy with PSI set to 38. After a year I replaced the tires with 19" Pirelli P7 AS+ 3 and thought, "oh, I should get an alignment ", despite the previous set wearing evenly and tracking straight.

The alignment shop I've used on my Model S was booked full so I had to wait a couple of weeks. The P7s rode really well during this time, and smoother than the OEM tires. Well, that all changed after the alignment.

Oddly, as soon as I left the alignment shop the Y would pull to the left. It didn't do this before the alignment so I turned right back and had the shop take a second look. They aligned it again and the specs shifted a smidge but showed everything to be in proper spec. It pulled less to the left after the second try but now the car also rode a little more jittery and bumpier than before. It was the first time I've actually complained about the ride quality of our Y after a year. I regret touching the alignment. The factory alignment may have been out of spec a little but it actually performed and rode better IMO.

Last edited:
Only got 20k out of my OEM Continentals on my MYLR. Fortunately the next set is wearing better, but they cost me 30 additional Wh per mile due to increased rolling resistance.
Really? How have you measured it?
(been searching for rolling resistance factor for EV-a a while, and it seemed to me that it's in single digits i.e. less than 5-9% at most)

27.5k on our factory continentals. Time to replace. I think we would have gotten many more if not for the fun of blasting down on-ramps and so on. This is a fun car. So what tires are we recommending as replacements these days?
If you do an advanced search here at TMC, you'll find dozens of interesting threads on this subject. Faster than waiting for responses here! ;)