Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first HW2 TACC experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday was my first day --- The first 5 braking situations I took over but only because it wasn't a familiar experience to me. When I activated auto-steer on 395 in Maryland/DC/VA bowl area I also didn't release the steering wheel enough for it to do anything before it got started.

I found the best way to activate TACC to ease into it was at a near stop with cars in front of me. The feeling of it gradually taking off gave me enough comfort to let it do it's thing. My last 11 miles of commute (and first 11 heading home) are now a wonderful experience.

Note: I started at 7. There were zero false positives for me, and surprisingly no extremely hard braking situations even with people merging in and out of traffic. While 7 does seem like the perfect distance I am actually down to 5 now in stop and go traffic just to maximize smoothness and lessen on-and-off braking.

I am shocked that Tesla released this beta. As someone who had a car with AP1 and now have a MX with AP2, I can say that this experience is significantly worse than anything I have seen with AP1. The lines on my dash are constantly shaking, the vehicles in front randomly appear and disappear, and every time I start the car I get the warning that the features are unavailable but then become available upon driving. The collision warning system barely works. I hope we get a software update soon as I would say that the system as is today is utterly worthless.

I am shocked that Tesla released this beta. As someone who had a car with AP1 and now have a MX with AP2, I can say that this experience is significantly worse than anything I have seen with AP1. The lines on my dash are constantly shaking, the vehicles in front randomly appear and disappear, and every time I start the car I get the warning that the features are unavailable but then become available upon driving. The collision warning system barely works. I hope we get a software update soon as I would say that the system as is today is utterly worthless.
Yeah, it's disappointing for sure. And it absolutely gives off the air of being rushed out.

But I cruised home on TACC at 65mph on the highway and it worked perfectly -- all the while I was ready to take over.

(I'll be pissed off if I have to take it in to a service center to re-adjust.)

I agree. Have an X90D, delivered on 12/31/16. I thought by paying for eAP it would be better than my test drive HW1/AP2.0 software package. Not even close. Barely functional right now. That being said, I certainly don't want it rushed out if it isn't ready. I hope Chris Lattner starts soon!

I'm questioning the legality of Tesla's advertising. The specification says that AEB "WILL" be available end of December. It didn't say "expected" like for the EAP. And they said EAP is expected to be ready end of December. They didn't say it would roll out in phases over the course of months and months. And I don't think they can say "Expected" without having a reasonable basis for having this expectation. I ordered my car late November. There is no way that they expected a full version of EAP would be ready in a month and then a month later change that expectation to roll out over months and require "hundreds of millions of miles" of beta testing- that wasn't in the order form.
I believe this falls in to the category of false or misleading advertising and breach of contract.

Keep your hands close to the wheel.:oops:

I wanted to chime in yesterday but I didn't get a chance to. On your first attempt, I would sort of expect AP to function the way it did for you on that right lane near the exit ramp. As someone mentioned in another thread, the right dotted line disappears to signify the exit ramp and AP1 acted in the same fashion when it was initially rolled out. How does the AP system know where that lane marking went on the first pass? My steering also got a little erradic while driving in the right lane of a highway on Autosteer (I noticed it the first day I turned Autosteer on and immediately started avoiding lanes that transition markings like that), especially on the first day. I am now on day 4 and Autosteer is handing right lanes like a champ.

It was referenced that Tesla updates the cache on the maps (I believe) to account for this; perhaps it's happening on the fly. Before activating my TACC and AS after the update, I read through every page on the update notice. There were at least 5 places where these features were listed as beta. So far, my expectations of functionality align with my expectations of a beta are and I am not disappointed.

I wanted to chime in yesterday but I didn't get a chance to. On your first attempt, I would sort of expect AP to function the way it did for you on that right lane near the exit ramp. As someone mentioned in another thread, the right dotted line disappears to signify the exit ramp and AP1 acted in the same fashion when it was initially rolled out. How does the AP system know where that lane marking went on the first pass? My steering also got a little erradic while driving in the right lane of a highway on Autosteer (I noticed it the first day I turned Autosteer on and immediately started avoiding lanes that transition markings like that), especially on the first day. I am now on day 4 and Autosteer is handing right lanes like a champ.

It was referenced that Tesla updates the cache on the maps (I believe) to account for this; perhaps it's happening on the fly. Before activating my TACC and AS after the update, I read through every page on the update notice. There were at least 5 places where these features were listed as beta. So far, my expectations of functionality align with my expectations of a beta are and I am not disappointed.
You are brave doing 44mph with traffic around! I've just not been comfortable doing 45 with cars behind me. Texas is a concealed weapon state and getting shot is a real possibility.

It's encouraging that your experience is improving. Let's hope your MX's learning will be uploaded to the rest of us.

And thanks for the video.

I don't think Tesla intended for us to test this at 45mph when traffic is moving 65mph or higher. That's a bit dangerous.
The idea was to test it on highways with heavy traffic when all cars were moving under 45mph. If you are lucky enough not to be driving in those conditions, I would wait until the max AP speed is increased before testing.

Same experience with autosteer. Similar micro corrections on the steering wheel on a straight road. When approaching an exit the car exhibits minor seizure activity.

You are brave doing 44mph with traffic around! I've just not been comfortable doing 45 with cars behind me. Texas is a concealed weapon state and getting shot is a real possibility.

It's encouraging that your experience is improving. Let's hope your MX's learning will be uploaded to the rest of us.

And thanks for the video.

I don't think Tesla intended for us to test this at 45mph when traffic is moving 65mph or higher. That's a bit dangerous.
The idea was to test it on highways with heavy traffic when all cars were moving under 45mph. If you are lucky enough not to be driving in those conditions, I would wait until the max AP speed is increased before testing.

Just for clarification I was only replying to the video filmed in NC. I also only used Autosteer on 295/395 in DC/Arlington during rush hour. The flow of traffic rarely reaches 40MPH during those times even though the speed limit is actually 50.

It's like a 5 year old getting a new bike for Xmas. He/she is going to ride it even if there is snow on the ground. I must admit to trying it as well in 65mph zone for maybe 20sec.

In my experience, I feel it brakes very late ( even at 7). I'm always afraid it has not recognized the car will need to stop. Wish the schematic car on the dash would turn a different color (yellow) signifying "I haven't hit the brakes yet, but don't worry I know I'll need to..."
I had the following experiences on my first drive with TACC enabled. I was driving on a divided highway with a 55mph speed limit. This mostly rural road has stoplights now and then. Here is how my MS60 with TACC enabled handled these three conditions:
  1. My car, TACC enabled, was following the car in front at a safe distance (max setting) about 5mph below the speed I had set. The light in the distance turned red and the car in front slowed down and MS60 followed beautifully. After the lead car came to a stop MS60 stopped perfectly behind the lead car.
  2. MS60 was at cruising speed TACC enabled. The light in the distance turned red, and the car way in front began to slow. My MS60 continued at cruising speed and approached way too fast/to close before beginning to match speeds. I checked to see that no one was behind me when I realized we would approaching fast and held my foot over the brake ready to stop, but MS60 stopped just before I needed to override it. MS60 then matched speeds and came to a nice stop.
  3. This time while cruising at 55, TACC enabled, cars were stopped at the light and there was not a guide car in front. We screamed up to the stopped cars at 55mph and I took over to stop MS60 because we were approaching at an unsafe speed!
It is really fun watching TAAC drive the car. I am looking forward to updates, and I sure won't take my attention off the driving while using TAAC. The guide lines are jumping around and MS60 refuses to activate the lane assist.

yeah.... I found some slow traffic in the right hand lane and pulled behind them just to see my TACC slow down and stop as they did. All worked great, even when the traffic light turned green and the car in front of me drove thru the intersection, my car started up and followed it dutifully at a proper speed and following distance. Getting excited here to have the limits (speed, freeways) removed!
Got my HW update last night, tried it for the first time on the way to work. drove for approx. 40 mins in stop & go traffic, literally coming to a full stop on numerous occasions then successfully following the car in front of me with the distance setting set for 2. All worked very well up until traffic speed became too fast for Auto Steer to work. I only wish they set the MAX speed for Beta testing to 50 mph or 80 kph (in Vancouver), as most of our local speed limits are 80 k's, where we could test it more frequently. 45 mph/70kph is very limiting.
Did enjoy a 25 min TACC at freeway speed to finish off my commute, all worked well, although did get a lot of shaky lane lines on my dash therefore was very alert and cautious, preparing for the unexpected. ALL GOOD though !

I was finally "lucky" enough to get caught in stop-and-go freeway traffic for about 10 minutes today. So I had my first meaningful Auto Steer experience. Given how much the dashboard lines dance I was not expecting much but it actually went pretty well. I've been keeping TACC on 6 so several drivers moved into that space and the MX handled this without problem. I made sure to not be in the right most line so that exits wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: acadapter
Did my first road trip yesterday. I went from Portland to Seattle, 180mi, last night. Used TACC for the entire trip with it set at 75 for half and 68 for the second half of the trip. It worked flawlessly 100% of the way. It was amazing. I've never used TACC before on a road trip. I also used autosteer for the first half hour getting out of Portland. It worked perfectly also. At first it kept disingaging because I was trying to put the car in the part of lane where I wanted it to be. After I decided to just let it do its thing it worked perfectly. Not one single nag or disingagement for over ten miles. Amazing car. Truly amazing. Thanks Elon.

Reactions: RRM998