Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My friend's model X crashed using AP yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO, They may have had visitors from China using a chinese mapping app. Maybe they had just finished dining at the Chinese Garden at 605 W Legion St. in Whitehall, MT and decide to demonstrate Model X on nearby Highway 55. Just a guess, but it is what crossed my mind as I viewed the iPhone photo and the businesses to the east of the reported fender bender location.

Could be. Wasn't trying to be offensive but because of things like the control arm/wheel falling off fiasco my antenna is always up. A lot of pictures that were posted on here were taken from that one clowns blog.

Could be. Wasn't trying to be offensive but because of things like the control arm/wheel falling off fiasco my antenna is always up. A lot of pictures that were posted on here were taken from that one clowns blog.
I understand. When I saw the foreign language text I also searched across the Pacific, thinking that it may have occurred in Japan. They have a Highway 55 as well. It was the iPhone map photo that zeroed in on the spot that maybe the wrecker towed the Tesla to get it off the road.

Looking at the road paint, does anyone want to search where the vehicle may have stopped? There are patterns of wear on those paint lines that can be compared with Google Maps. I took a quick look at the paint and roadside tall grass beyond the guard rail location and it is similar. Good luck finding an exact location if you enjoy jigsaw puzzles.

The wooden "stakes" are bollards on the side of the road, not ON the road, but clearly on the SIDE of the road above the curb...
Somebody had to jump the curb in order to hit them (with sufficient force and speed) in order to have a wheel sheared off.
And yes, the wood bollards are buried very deep (maybe even set in concrete) in order to take a licking from a vehicle.

Don't know anything about the condition of striping on the pavement where the accident occurred, or if the AP feature needed striping in order to detect .

The wooden "stakes" are bollards on the side of the road, not ON the road, but clearly on the SIDE of the road above the curb...
Somebody had to jump the curb in order to hit them (with sufficient force and speed) in order to have a wheel sheared off.
And yes, the wood bollards are buried very deep (maybe even set in concrete) in order to take a licking from a vehicle.

Don't know anything about the condition of striping on the pavement where the accident occurred, or if the AP feature needed striping in order to detect .

That isn't where the alleged accident occurred. That was just an example picture from @Mark Z .

That isn't where the alleged accident occurred. That was just an example picture from @Mark Z .

Understood.

But the wood stakes are bollards (barriers) and not ON the road.
And running over horizontal wood stakes laying on the road might damage a tire.
Not shear off a wheel (and a front light and fender).

Something is amiss with this scenario: I concur with Vitold, please show pictures of the "wood stakes" that the car impacted.
Saying the car had AP activated while hitting 20 bollards/posts does not ring true to my ears.

Unfortunately there are some people who do not know the difference between AP and Autonomous driving. Would never use AP at night other than on a freeway, and not sure I would even do that. If there is debris on the road and it is dark it might not make a difference weather your on cruise control, AP or nothing.

Glad everyone is OK. Looking at the pics, specifically the damage to the nose and the passenger FWD, it seems more like the vehicle veered right and hit a fence or the like rather than hitting debris on the road itself, where you would more damage to the front of the vehicle, not along the passenger side. A 6K lbs vehicle going ~60 mph is also going to be bringing a lot of kinetic energy to the party, so to do that kind of sustained damage to the nose, front qtr and passenger door, I would have to think whatever was hit was either equally heavy or rooted to the ground otherwise it would fly off after the initial impact with the nose.

• Informative
Reactions: Shawn Snider
Perhaps another driver error?

It sure seems a few of these accidents popping up recently ( ie. restaurant ) may be due to inexperienced drivers or the product being utilized in the wrong situations. For example, you can select AP speed but if you hit the pedal the vehicle will accelerate. Hit brake and don't realize it and the vehicle needs for you to drive. btw: the chime is very clear and I've never missed recognizing an alert.

I Have around 7K AP miles having travelled a few times to NC from FL and once to NY. Please note that AP works very well both day and night (and in rain) but there are some quirks that you must stay vigilant for.

Just today on I95 near Savannah, I was in the far left lane (3 lanes) following a white car at around 70mph. Car moved into the middle lane and my X decided to follow him. Unfortunately, the white car cut in front of an 18 wheeler and my X made a beeline towards hitting the truck. I intervened and kept straight.

Also, Divided highway roads are not ideal; AP sometimes decides it should exit the highway towards a secondary street or someone's home.

Having said all that, I just completed a 15 hr. trip from NC coast and despite the 100+ weather it was a great trip made safer due to AP. Fatigue is much less of a factor and it has saved me countless times from other drivers on the road.

btw: Tesla, I sure could use my sunshade......driving West into Sun was no fun today.

Yet we are told that AP is twice as safe as a normal driver, so why wouldn't you use AP?
And here we go ...

Clearly, on a dark, two lane undivided back road at 2AM with sketchy lane markers for the camera to work with and no car ahead for the radar to follow, why *wouldn't* you take her up to 60 on full autopilot to ensure a safe trip and impress your friends.

Last edited:
So the claim is that the car left the roadway on autopilot?

Just got more photos from the driver. The car was in autopilot at speed between 56-60, the car drove off the road hit the guard rail wood posts. I questioned him how can AP drove off the road himself, he said he also want to find out. Photo attached the wood posts he hit

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 455
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 337
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 429
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 333
And I thought Tesla drivers were a bit brighter than the average one out there. But apparently not! Using AP at 2am on a sketchy road is just negligent.

Or even suicidal. I know the area where the accident is said to have happened and it's not a place for AP use at 2 AM. There are all sorts of animals that cross roads in the area, from deer to antelope to even elk. Whatever the person was doing at 2AM, he or she made a series of bad calls. I couldn't imagine using AP on I90 under those conditions, let alone a county road in farm/game country.

I don't see any wood stakes either and that fence is so far off road you would have to be intentionally 4 wheeling. Sorry the AP part of your friends story is suspect. Glad they are ok though.

It's not that suspect, there was something on the road and the vehicle plowed through. Anybody who has read the manual knows that's exactly what's going to happen because AP won't see it.