Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Journey to ordering a Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I override? I didn't see the controls on the touchscreen. Should I just manually push it up?
No. I don't get the override option on the "pop-up" door display, but I do get it if I go to Controls/Doors. Once raised, it should provide the location-based setting on that same screen.

I'm curious, is there an opposite setting?
I've requested it.

Reactions: NathanWolf
I'm curious, is there an opposite setting?

I'm expecting I'll actually want it in umbrella mode in the garage to avoid the order-of-opening issue with my garage door, unless I do some serious re-arranging.

I've been losing sleep thinking about what happens if someone opens the garage door while the FaWD are up :(

I expect they'll extend fully with the garage door closed, but go umbrella with it open. I have a few months before I'll know for sure though.
From my understanding of the new software, if the X detects a ceiling - even a very high one, it will default to umbrella mode unless overridden. This is to prevent collision with obstacles that are lower than the ceiling, but that it can't see (garage door rails; beams in parking garages).

From my understanding of the new software, if the X detects a ceiling - even a very high one, it will default to umbrella mode unless overridden. This is to prevent collision with obstacles that are lower than the ceiling, but that it can't see (garage door rails; beams in parking garages).

Oh, interesting. I guess I'll need to test it out. Our garage ceiling is pretty high (I'd say 9 or maybe 10 feet) but the garage door and rails are not, maybe 6 1/2 feet. Just high enough to smack a fully-raised falcon wing.

I've seen a lot of people raising up the rails and garage door, but that seems like a lot of trouble! I'll do it if I need to though.

Oh, interesting. I guess I'll need to test it out. Our garage ceiling is pretty high (I'd say 9 or maybe 10 feet) but the garage door and rails are not, maybe 6 1/2 feet. Just high enough to smack a fully-raised falcon wing.

I've seen a lot of people raising up the rails and garage door, but that seems like a lot of trouble! I'll do it if I need to though.
I got lucky. My door is already 8 foot tall (a fact I didn't even realize after living there for 7 years - until I decided to insulate my door last summer and realized I had one more panel than many of my neighbors), and the rails are nearly nine feet. I did have to raise some suspended storage right above the X, and trimmed down an adjustable bar that connected the opener to the door. A few inches over eight feet is what you need to comfortably open the FWDs all the way.

Second day observations:

The Good:
1. Car drives like butter
2. Autopilot is swell (had some anxiety regarding the news ... but used AP only on Freeways so all is well)
3. Sunscreen worked well. Forgot to mention in my earlier post - Car definitely needs the Sunscreen in bay area. Gave my wife a headache yesterday evening.
4. FWD - getting kids in and out of car seats couldn't be easier. Love the doors.

The Not so Good:
1. Ghosting - horrible. Makes you wonder if no one test drove the car at night prior to release. The farther the light source, the worse the ghosting. The only angle it goes away is if I bend low enough to have my eyes at the top of the steering wheel. Not practical. On a whim I tried my Maui Jim's on (yeah I know it sounds stupid to wear sunglasses at night) but lo and behold the ghosting disappeared completely. Definitely the material property of the windshield is the cause. Planning to get near-clear tint to see if it will fix it.
2. Wind noise - Did I talk about it earlier? Can't emphasize how annoying it is even at 45mph. Definitely warrants a SC visit. Did see that a tiny bit of foam was coming out of the passenger side FWD.
3. Door latching - Had a scare with the passenger front door. Touchscreen showed it did not lock. No response from touchscreen. Went out to manually press it in and it luckily fixed the problem. PHEW!!!
4. Wifi - The wifi signal seems to be too weak in the car. My phone sees the same network at full 4 bars while the car sees only 2. Any quick fixes for this?
5. Summon - Tried to summon multiple times from outside - didn't work due to weak wifi and kept dropping connection. Then tried from inside to back out of the garage and the car did not open the door and wanted to go hit the garage door. I had to stop it manually to prevent any damage.
6. Firmware - Still on older firmware so no way to set FWD override position.

Others:

Couldn't figure out how to install the iPhone blind holster. Saw pics of the installed solution but it was too dark in the garage and I was tired so didn't figure it out completely yet. Got to half way and got flummoxed by the actual lightning adapter piece. Will try in the am again.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Updates to my experience with the X

1. Autopilot - With so much news and noise around AP wanted to share my experience here. For the most part (98%) AP takes stress out of driving, especially in stop and go traffic. It did warn with if my hands weren't tight on the steering for some time, had to keep moving my had around the steering for it to recognize that I was holding it, sometimes a slight enough nudge without breaking AP did the trick. Maybe it is my illusion but when passing larger vehicles it seems to pull towards the vehicle and almost always I feel like I had to muscle the steering to keep it from moving closer - AP never broke during the muscling - it was just like I was playing tug-of-war with AP. A couple of times I was brave enough to not fight with AP and let it go and it seemed to pass the vehicles safe but I was not too comfortable as the distance between the cars was not MY driving style. Similar things with Motorcycles cutting through lanes from behind - AP doesn't yield and sticks to the center - again not my driving style.

2. Auto-lane change - This worked most of the time. Couple of scares though were, once it went slightly over a yellow shoulder line when changing lanes to the left lane from right in a two lane highway. Had to take manual control quickly to prevent it from going into the shoulder. The graphic on the dash clearly showed that the lanes were clearly recognized. Another annoyance is that the turn-light does not go away after lane change.

3. Auto-Park - The two times I tried Auto-park it seemed to want too close to people walking by or crossing without pausing for them to move away from the path. Scared the crap out of me so much so that I had to slam the brakes. Not using Auto-Park for a long time now until this is fixed

Moral of the story - Anything feature with Auto still needs refinement and absolutely needs the driver to be alert and ready to take over at all times. They make everyday driving a little less stressful but they are not meant to supplant the driver. Yet.

Reactions: XHokie
Second day observations:

The Good:
1. Car drives like butter
2. Autopilot is swell (had some anxiety regarding the news ... but used AP only on Freeways so all is well)
3. Sunscreen worked well. Forgot to mention in my earlier post - Car definitely needs the Sunscreen in bay area. Gave my wife a headache yesterday evening.
4. FWD - getting kids in and out of car seats couldn't be easier. Love the doors.

The Not so Good:
1. Ghosting - horrible. Makes you wonder if no one test drove the car at night prior to release. The farther the light source, the worse the ghosting. The only angle it goes away is if I bend low enough to have my eyes at the top of the steering wheel. Not practical. On a whim I tried my Maui Jim's on (yeah I know it sounds stupid to wear sunglasses at night) but lo and behold the ghosting disappeared completely. Definitely the material property of the windshield is the cause. Planning to get near-clear tint to see if it will fix it.
2. Wind noise - Did I talk about it earlier? Can't emphasize how annoying it is even at 45mph. Definitely warrants a SC visit. Did see that a tiny bit of foam was coming out of the passenger side FWD.
3. Door latching - Had a scare with the passenger front door. Touchscreen showed it did not lock. No response from touchscreen. Went out to manually press it in and it luckily fixed the problem. PHEW!!!
4. Wifi - The wifi signal seems to be too weak in the car. My phone sees the same network at full 4 bars while the car sees only 2. Any quick fixes for this?
5. Summon - Tried to summon multiple times from outside - didn't work due to weak wifi and kept dropping connection. Then tried from inside to back out of the garage and the car did not open the door and wanted to go hit the garage door. I had to stop it manually to prevent any damage.
6. Firmware - Still on older firmware so no way to set FWD override position.

Others:

Couldn't figure out how to install the iPhone blind holster. Saw pics of the installed solution but it was too dark in the garage and I was tired so didn't figure it out completely yet. Got to half way and got flummoxed by the actual lightning adapter piece. Will try in the am again.

For Wifi signal get a range extender. I got the TP-LINK AV500 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Powerline Edition, TL-WPA4220KIT and plugged in at the garage and its 5 bar signal instantly. Its pretty much a necessity if you plan to use Summon from the driveway a lot.

Updates to my experience with the X

1. Autopilot - With so much news and noise around AP wanted to share my experience here. For the most part (98%) AP takes stress out of driving, especially in stop and go traffic. It did warn with if my hands weren't tight on the steering for some time, had to keep moving my had around the steering for it to recognize that I was holding it, sometimes a slight enough nudge without breaking AP did the trick. Maybe it is my illusion but when passing larger vehicles it seems to pull towards the vehicle and almost always I feel like I had to muscle the steering to keep it from moving closer - AP never broke during the muscling - it was just like I was playing tug-of-war with AP. A couple of times I was brave enough to not fight with AP and let it go and it seemed to pass the vehicles safe but I was not too comfortable as the distance between the cars was not MY driving style. Similar things with Motorcycles cutting through lanes from behind - AP doesn't yield and sticks to the center - again not my driving style.
I think this is an optical illusion. I believe AutoPilot is diligently keeping you in the center of the lane, but seeing such a large vehicle at eye level makes it seem closer to you because of it's large size.

I felt this too with AutoPilot and I'm going to try to get some real data to verify it's just me that "thinks" it getting too close. I'm guessing that people normally shift over a little when passing large trucks and AutoPilot doesn't get distracted by this illusion.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
I think this is an optical illusion. I believe AutoPilot is diligently keeping you in the center of the lane, but seeing such a large vehicle at eye level makes it seem closer to you because of it's large size.

I felt this too with AutoPilot and I'm going to try to get some real data to verify it's just me that "thinks" it getting too close. I'm guessing that people normally shift over a little when passing large trucks and AutoPilot doesn't get distracted by this illusion.

Agreed. Often times when I feel Autopilot getting too close to big rig when passing, I look at the dash and its showing the car at the center. However, if Autopilot is meant to replicate human driving habits, it should program the "center" to be just slightly away from the logical center while passing a big rig when there is no cars detected on the other side.

The other case is that Autopilot tend to steer late when the road curves at the same time with a slight uphill (like the ones often occur on highway bridges and crossings". Combine that with passing a big rig at the same time, it makes me really nervous sometimes.

The other case is that Autopilot tend to steer late when the road curves at the same time with a slight uphill (like the ones often occur on highway bridges and crossings". Combine that with passing a big rig at the same time, it makes me really nervous sometimes.

Try switching your steering control mode to "comfort". I found the steering late improved with "comfort" steering vs. "standard". Could just be my imagination, but I got the idea from other posters here and it seems to be working (or just positive bias and maybe the fix is actually the updated software...).

For Wifi signal get a range extender. I got the TP-LINK AV500 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Powerline Edition, TL-WPA4220KIT and plugged in at the garage and its 5 bar signal instantly. Its pretty much a necessity if you plan to use Summon from the driveway a lot.

Tried a range extender over the weekend as well. Put it right next to the driver door. Phone saw full bars but MX sees only two - the same for all my SSIDs no matter where the source is located. Created a separate network just for the car to see if it makes a difference - even that did not work. Would like to use summon but the wifi problem is preventing it.

Have you tried powerline based range extender model I mentioned? While still called range extender, its essentially a "connected" wifi access point. I tried traditional range extender before and did not have good result. From somewhere I read, the wifi antenna is inside the right rear view mirror. You can point your phone over there and see how good signal you get at that location.

Have you tried powerline based range extender model I mentioned? While still called range extender, its essentially a "connected" wifi access point. I tried traditional range extender before and did not have good result. From somewhere I read, the wifi antenna is inside the right rear view mirror. You can point your phone over there and see how good signal you get at that location.
Haven't tried that but already have two spare extenders at home that I tried and didn't work. Phone all over garage see full signal.

Being that paranoid person I am, and not having previously owned a car for more than $40K myself, I went ahead and did the full Xcel wrap + Quartz on my X. Wanted to buy some peace of mind against debris, door dings and faulty sensors. I feel a little calmer now and my wallet a lot lighter with a few holes. :D

Also did the 70% 3M Crystalline on the from windows and windshield. It is almost transparent and reduces heat so much that I did not miss the sunshade. Sorry Captain. ;)

For some magical reason when I brought the X back into the garage, the wifi problem seems to have improved where in instead of 2 bars I am getting 3 or 4 bars for most of my networks. Not sure what happened here - SW is still the same old .30. If it works I am not going to complain :rolleyes:

On the other hand my homelink wouldn't open the garage from outside even being only a couple of feet away from the opener/ door for some reason. It works from inside only now. Have to figure out what happened.

Attachments

• IMG_3749.JPG
    IMG_3749.JPG
    435.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3750.JPG
    IMG_3750.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3751.JPG
    IMG_3751.JPG
    495.4 KB · Views: 67
Today's update:

1. Tried Auto Perpendicular Park a couple of times and it worked flawlessly. My friend who was with me in the car was just amazed at all the things the car did on its own :D

2. Figured out that the wind noise was coming from the seal on the front window triangle seals. Just pressing the seal shut with hand takes the dB level waaaay down. Have SC appointment for end of the week. hope they can fix it.

3. Took a windy mountain road and tried to let loose - X did well but I still missed my 3 series there for the handling. X was just bigger and heavier which didn't give me as much confidence as my old 3. Maybe I just need more miles behind the wheels to get up there.

4. UHFS is amazing. Point to note is that for the system to really shine you need very high resolution audio files at minimum CD quality lossless. So many layers and fantastic sound stage - well worth the price tag. If you listen to slacker or low res mp3 it may not be worth the upgrade. Turn Dolby OFF.

5. Had to spend $400+ on a new tire as I got an air leak due to a puncture on the side wall. The tire change guy said it was due to some tiny sharp thing going in and out of the sidewall really quick. Hope it is not vandalism. :(

Reactions: GoTslaGo
X is back from service - observations so far

1. Wind noise gone - SC fixed my wind noise from the front doors. They said they had to realign the glass on the quarter panel on both sides. Now the car is super quite - quieter than our MDX. (posted this on the wind noise thread as well)

2. firmware update to .150 - can force the door to open fully in my garage - but it doesn't do so after i close and re-open. Setting shows that the full open is set for the location but doors still open in umbrella mode some times. It is driving me up the wall as I don't know why it is doing it. Have tried to set the override about 20 times now with no luck :mad:

3. Auto-lock on walk - it was working great before the update now it is finicky. I have to now have auto present ON to have auto-lock to work. Not sure if they change it with the new firmware. before I was able to have auto present OFF and have the auto-lock ON and it was all fine.

4. Comparison to S - Had a loaner S - no questions about the fact that the S drives better and I felt a lot more confident in pushing it to the limits. The X does feel heavier. However, I missed my X big time and was I glad to get back in the X with that awesome windshield and space ship feel. Absolutely no regrets on switching our order. X is so much more comfortable in a lot of different ways. Brings a smile to my face overtime I get in the driver seat. DW agreed as well - she drove the S to work one and when she came back asked "Was this the car you were going to buy?" I said "yes" and her response was "Thank goodness you changed your mind. I like the X much better" Always good to get approval from DW :D

5. Homelink - figured out the problem with garage door not opening. I have to be literally 12 - 14 inches from the garage door for it to open the door from the car. With the garage door opener fob from inside the car I can open from about 30 inches. From outside the car the fob works from well past our driveway. Something about the X is seriously attenuating the homeland signal from the outside. No problems from the inside.

5. Homelink - figured out the problem with garage door not opening. I have to be literally 12 - 14 inches from the garage door for it to open the door from the car. With the garage door opener fob from inside the car I can open from about 30 inches. From outside the car the fob works from well past our driveway. Something about the X is seriously attenuating the homeland signal from the outside. No problems from the inside.
Interesting. I've found the home link in the X to me more powerful than my previous ICE. I have LED bulbs in my opener, and they can sometimes cause problem with the signal. The opener's fob is always most reliable, and often with the previous ICE I couldn't open/close the door when the light is on from the end of the driveway. With the X it's still not quite as reliable as the real fob, but much better than previous ICE (downgraded to "sometimes doesn't work" from "often doesn't work". And when it hits the sometimes, a retry usually does, whereas with the ICE I whipped out my phone and closed it via the MyQ app).