Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S lost an argument with a parking garage: advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While attempting to navigate backwards into a 3-deep parking stall approximately 3mm wider than my Model S with a concrete wall on one side I relied too much on the rearview video (it turns out the lines represent where the wheels are, not where the widest point of the body is, who knew?!?) I scraped into the wall resulting in the attached damage.

2016-04-05 07.48.48.jpg

2016-04-05 07.48.57.jpg

It doesn't look terribly deformed (no creases), and I'm not necessarily looking for a showroom-quality repair if I can get a pretty good repair for 1/4 the cost (it's only a 60!). Any advice as to where to get this repaired in the Palo Alto, CA area? Do the Tesla Stores do bodywork?

Thanks!

Bill

Reactions: Imafrog
Tesla store will send you to Tesla authorized repair shop, it will be very expensive there, but it will be done right. A quality body shop will repair and respray the entire left rear quarter panel and rear bumper cover. A low quality body shop might do a blend and the low quality might not hold up over the long run. IMO if you ever trade it in to Tesla or any dealership/Carmax they will see the low quality work right away and your trade in value will drop at the price of a proper repair.

Reactions: BillShepp
One thing to consider is how the damage will be classified based on how they repair it. A few years ago my car (not the Tesla) was hit while it was parked. The damage was around the driver's side rear wheel, much like the OP's. The insurance company authorized the repair and the shop did work on the quarterpanel that ended up causing the damage to be called structural. And that's how Carfax reports it, even though the damage was not what people usually think of as structural damage. I'm not an expert on this, but I think that what happened is the shop cut out and replaced the damaged quarterpanel area rather than leave it in place and work on straightening it out.

The bottom line is that when I went to sell the car last year, the Carfax showed structural damage and the value of my car dropped a ton. It was no longer qualified for the manufacturer's CPO program and it had to be sold at auction instead. Insurance didn't cover diminution in resale and the hit was close to 50% of value.

All things equal, had I known about this, I would have pushed the shop hard to find a way to do the repair in a way that didn't make the damage structural.

Yeah, that was my car in the other thread. It all comes down to whether they can work out the damage to a level you find acceptable.

Because it's on the fender lip, I'm going to guess that (as with mine) they probably won't be able to, which means a very expensive repair (replacing the whole quarter panel). But this is obviously hard to diagnose from a picture or two.

Condolences - that's painful stuff right there. Not just for the initial incident, but for the potential significant hit to valuation depending upon how the damage is classified. Would definitely advocate shopping around both through whomever Tesla recommends and for F-150-capable shops as well.

I had wondered when the arbitrary positioning of the backup lines would contribute to something like this. Wish they would fix that so that the lines correspond to the widest edges of the car - as one might reasonably expect.

Reactions: Eclectic
One thing to consider is how the damage will be classified based on how they repair it. A few years ago my car (not the Tesla) was hit while it was parked. The damage was around the driver's side rear wheel, much like the OP's. The insurance company authorized the repair and the shop did work on the quarterpanel that ended up causing the damage to be called structural. And that's how Carfax reports it, even though the damage was not what people usually think of as structural damage. I'm not an expert on this, but I think that what happened is the shop cut out and replaced the damaged quarterpanel area rather than leave it in place and work on straightening it out.

The bottom line is that when I went to sell the car last year, the Carfax showed structural damage and the value of my car dropped a ton. It was no longer qualified for the manufacturer's CPO program and it had to be sold at auction instead. Insurance didn't cover diminution in resale and the hit was close to 50% of value.

Do you mean the car sold for 50% of it's original value? If so, you did about average for a used luxury car after 3 yrs. A 3 yr residual for a Range Rover, a 7 series or an S class is around 50%. If you subtract your tax rebate you did even better.

Thanks for all the advice and sympathy! A friend has highly recommended Sunnyvale Autobody, who get great Yelp reviews and are aluminum certified, so I'll certainly check them out, and Chilton's in Santa Clara is Tesla Authorized but also gets very good reviews, so I'll check there as well. Hopefully with the insane number of Teslas in the Bay Area the shops who work on them can't charge as much of a premium as shops in areas where Teslas are few and far between. I'll report back on what quotes I get.

Do you mean the car sold for 50% of it's original value? If so, you did about average for a used luxury car after 3 yrs. A 3 yr residual for a Range Rover, a 7 series or an S class is around 50%. If you subtract your tax rebate you did even better.

No, it was 50% lower than the range of KBB/Edmunds/etc. dealer trade in values for a car with the same mileage, features, etc. When you use these services, just indicate that the car had been in an accident with structural damage and you can see how much value is lost versus a car without structural damage.

Thanks for all the advice and sympathy! A friend has highly recommended Sunnyvale Autobody, who get great Yelp reviews and are aluminum certified, so I'll certainly check them out, and Chilton's in Santa Clara is Tesla Authorized but also gets very good reviews, so I'll check there as well. Hopefully with the insane number of Teslas in the Bay Area the shops who work on them can't charge as much of a premium as shops in areas where Teslas are few and far between. I'll report back on what quotes I get.
The Chilton's in Palo Alto has always done a ton of work for Tesla. I doubt they're cheap, though.

If they have to replace that rear quarter panel it's going to hurt ($20k replacements are not unheard of, but prices are supposedly coming down). You might consider suggesting you'd accept a less-than-perfect quarter panel repair (no replacement) and see what they can do if you're worried about cost.

Reactions: Eclectic