Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y smells, does it happen to yours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best way to prevent that smell is to run the fan high with high heat for about 2 minutes with outside air after you turn off the AC, and leave the doors open for 10-20 minutes in your garage.

User error. If you do what i do to prevent smell, you will never have to deal with the stink.
Why would this be an user error? If it was designed properly, nothing would need to be done besides changing the cabin filters. And the car would not stink. Are you really expecting an ordinary joe who doesn’t go on forums to do all those?

This is obviously a design flaw. Tesla probably didn’t even know this would become a problem until cars were in customers’ hand, and when customers were reporting the problem.

At first, they replaced the filters and clean the coil as goodwill but now they cannot goodwill them all because most Ys and 3s have this problem. Also they started to make up all these BS excuses oh it’s the filter. Oh we only cover this for some tech said 6 months. Some tech said 1 year. Most tech said it’s not covered at all because Tesla doesn’t cover regular maintenance. A 2-month-old car stinks like this is not a maintenance problem.

Instead of fixing the root cause by changing the designs, they just keep bandaging it by rolling out software updates, replacing the type of screw, and moving the screw to a position where it could be accessed more easily. That’s basically telling us owners that we gotta do it ourselves.

I’ve owned no less than 10 cars before. Some of them were old used beater cars, and none of them have ever had this problem. I still love our Y and 3 but I just couldn’t overlook the fact that those who designed the cars didn’t think it through (like the frozen door handles), and that now Tesla is too big to give a damn.

Reactions: Tha_Ape and X-Chris
I am scheduled for delivery of a new Y LR in a couple of weeks. I have read how so many Y and 3 owners have experienced the smelly AC problem. Some have it worse than others, and some have seemingly fixed it (everyone has a different fix). One thing that hasn’t been clear to me is whether this is still occurring with newer 2022 models. Any experiences from those who have had a new Y delivered in the last few months? Thanks!

I am scheduled for delivery of a new Y LR in a couple of weeks. I have read how so many Y and 3 owners have experienced the smelly AC problem. Some have it worse than others, and some have seemingly fixed it (everyone has a different fix). One thing that hasn’t been clear to me is whether this is still occurring with newer 2022 models. Any experiences from those who have had a new Y delivered in the last few months? Thanks!
Not “so many” at all. Very limited numbers.

Reactions: CMTwinDad
Over time Tesla has made several changes to the cabin air filtration system and the way the HVAC operates. These changes may have reduced but not eliminated the odor problem.

Tesla programmed the HVAC to run the fan for ~20 minutes after you park. This is designed to dry out the evaporator coil in the AC system. (GM vehicles have a similar HVAC setting named After Blow that the dealer can enable on the vehicle.)

Tesla added a HEPA filter to the air intake. This is a key component of the Tesla bioweapon defense (BWD) mode that is designed to keep smoke particles, pollen out of the passenger cabin when BWD is active. As a side benefit the HEPA filter keeps most organic particles out of the cabin air filtration system.

Tesla looked at the cabin air odor issue and determined that at least part of the cause was that the frame of Tesla factory cabin air filter was made out of cardboard. When the cardboard became wet it created a growth environment for mold. As far as I am aware Tesla has since changed the cabin air filter to use a plastic frame.

You can follow a routine that includes turning off the AC and running the fan for the last 5 minutes of the trip. The objective of this action is to help dry out the AC evaporator coil. Park in a covered parking space or garage. This can reduce the amount of leaf litter and other organic material that gets into the air intake. If you use the Recirculate Cabin Air setting when driving be sure to turn this setting off before parking, exiting the vehicle. The objective is to lower the level of humidity in the passenger cabin, especially with multiple passengers. Change the cabin air filters at least every two years per the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual. When changing the cabin air filters you can clean the AC evaporator coil and filter box using a special foaming cleaner designed for this purpose (there are several brands.) For an additional charge Tesla Mobile Service will perform this service when changing the cabin air filters.

Last edited:
Thank you @jcanoe that is a very helpful summary. Sounds like things have improved and it is manageable.
Update per my previous concerns about HVAC smell: I’ve had my 2022 Y LR a little over a year, and it now has the smell. and it’s getting pretty bad. I always run the HVAC in auto mode. I found that running the HVAC five minutes before entering the car each time would generally clear the smell out. But now most days there is a bit of the smell all the time, not just at start up. Sometimes it is a vinegary smell, sometimes it is more like dirty socks, and sometimes it is more like a wet latex paint smell. Perhaps it depends on the conditions which population of bacteria is flourishing on any given day. Never had a smell problem with any other car (and I’ve had quite a few). I guess I’ll need to change the filters and use one of those disinfectant foam sprays, although I’ve heard this usually only fixes it for a couple months. is There any recent new wisdom on how to handle?

Update per my previous concerns about HVAC smell: I’ve had my 2022 Y LR a little over a year, and it now has the smell. and it’s getting pretty bad. I always run the HVAC in auto mode. I found that running the HVAC five minutes before entering the car each time would generally clear the smell out. But now most days there is a bit of the smell all the time, not just at start up. Sometimes it is a vinegary smell, sometimes it is more like dirty socks, and sometimes it is more like a wet latex paint smell. Perhaps it depends on the conditions which population of bacteria is flourishing on any given day. Never had a smell problem with any other car (and I’ve had quite a few). I guess I’ll need to change the filters and use one of those disinfectant foam sprays, although I’ve heard this usually only fixes it for a couple months. is There any recent new wisdom on how to handle?
Change filters with the OEM ones and clean the area with the foam spray..

If you spend significant time in your vehicle or regularly carry passengers and/or pets perhaps the interior of the Tesla vehicle needs a thorough cleaning. Carpeted floor mats trap dirt, those should be removed and washed separately. Vacuum out the inside of the vehicle and wipe down the interior. A two year interval for replacing the cabin air filters may be too long and may need to be performed more frequently. If your Tesla Model Y has the HEPA filter at the air intake location underneath the frunk cover this filter should be examined, may also need to be replaced.

If none of these remedies are completely effective you may want to rent an ozone generator. This device would be placed inside the vehicle for up to an hour (not longer) and allowed to run with the windows closed. Set the Tesla Model Y Climate Control to fan only (no AC), low fan speed and recirculate. Ozone molecules will attach to and neutralize most airborne particles and deodorize the interior. Run for too long or at too high a concentration ozone will damage plastic and most manmade materials so proceed with caution. Hotels, landlords use ozone generators to help get rid of smoking odors, other unpleasant odors from rooms. Ozone is an eye and lung irritant and toxic in high concentrations. No people or pets can remain in the vehicle while the ozone generator is operating.

Last edited:
Thanks, all. Good advice. I’m starting to suspect a refrigerant leak. While my AC works fine, I’ve read that a paint smell might indicate a leak. Perhaps there could be a leak small enough to not noticeably affect AC but still be detectable by smell.

Thanks, all. Good advice. I’m starting to suspect a refrigerant leak. While my AC works fine, I’ve read that a paint smell might indicate a leak. Perhaps there could be a leak small enough to not noticeably affect AC but still be detectable by smell.
No, it's most likely the filter. The way you described it earlier (vinegary, dirty sox, painty) are exactly the sort of smells you get when it needs to be changed. Have mobiles service do it or do it yourself and it will be gone.

Reactions: Dennisis
No, it's most likely the filter. The way you described it earlier (vinegary, dirty sox, painty) are exactly the sort of smells you get when it needs to be changed. Have mobiles service do it or do it yourself and it will be gone.
Not really. I did the test without the filter and you still get the smell. It’s from the air ducts and it gets worse with the recirculate on (again without the filler).