Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model Y's range SUCKS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright.
Thank you both for your input.
Since my battery will be super low by tonight, I plan on charging the car to 100% and documenting everything daily until battery is down to below 5%.
I'm set to prove here that my battery is of lower capacity FIRST so my driving will be pretty "leadfoot-y" to try and deplete battery faster.
If my theory proves right, I won't need to do any additional testing as this will clearly be proven as the source of all my misgivings.
Stay tuned...
If you drive with a leadfoot the battery will actually give less total energy than if you drive with an egg under your foot. High wattage/amperage leads to energylosses and battery inefficiencies.

Also vampire-drain, sentrymode, etc etc doesnt show in the energy used so measuring this over days wont work. Consumption-Numbers(kwh) in such a test will be much lower than reality.

Energy used only shows energy used while driving.

sentrymode can drain loads of power if left in an area with a lot of traffic.

Sounds like you have excessive vampire drain during times the vehicle isn't driven.

Do you have any 3rd party monitoring or is sentry mode on when the vehicle isn't driven?

Also keep in mind the kWh listed in the trip meter only registers the power used while the vehicle is moving. It does not take into account vampire drain while the vehicle sits. So if you're seeing excessive vampire drain, this may be the reason your kWh consumed appears really low.

Reactions: montreid
Thank you all for replies/suggestions.
I have sentry mode turned off.
A/C turned off. Cabine overheating off.
Chill acceleration mode.
Anything else I should be aware of?
Tesla app on the phone only.

Chill doesn’t do anything besides remap the accelerator pedal. Just drive normally and see where you end up without driving like a maniac. Chill doesn’t change any other vehicle parameters.

I don’t see any reason to avoid HVAC. Set it to 72 and auto.

All that matters is a largely contiguous drive from 100% to a low SOC with a readout of the Wh/mi and total kWh used. Try to complete the trip at the same elevation that you began and make sure your tire pressure is set to the sticker on the door jamb.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Thank you.
I live at sea level and commute around the bay at sea level so elevation won't be a problem.
Tires are on spec. I'll set the AC as per your suggestion.

As an aside, there is an energy consumption screen you can enable that shows the EPA Wh/mi and your Wh/mi. Averaging the EPA should result in the advertised 280 mile range, more or less. It might be useful to put that display up while driving.

In the attached image the dashed horizontal line represents the average Wh/mi over the distance specified (5 miles in this example) and the solid horizontal line represents what the EPA Wh/mi is to achieve the advertised range. I’d suggest setting yours to “30 miles” and “average” for your test run. Be mindful that it will be using the previous drive’s average at first.

If your Wh/mi average on that screen matches the solid line for the duration of your trip but you’re not pacing the 280 mile range estimate then something may be wrong with your car.

If you are using considerably more energy (above the solid line) then you have a consumption issue and there is probably nothing wrong with your car.

C23B23A6-F64F-4DC8-A3DF-C7B07CFFCCCA.jpeg

Even with "grandma" driving, my usage NEVER drops below 320 Wh/mi (unless on downhill).

This certainly doesn't look like "grandma" driving to me:
15863183039395386300033229610681-jpg.530203

Didn't you say you drive around with no elevation changes? So what are those big sustained spikes?

You can tell how far you off by the numbers it reports. Based on EPA range it is showing your remaining capacity as 73 miles. But based on your last 30 miles of driving it estimates you really only have 50 miles of range remaining.

So your "grandma" driving only gets ~68% of the EPA rated range.

The EPA range is based upon a ~250kW/mile (75kWh battery) usage - if you're using 350kW/mile your max range is ~210 miles.Do you live
on a hill? The 250kW/mile assumes ideal conditions - flat surface, no wind, no ac, etc. at 55 mph.

This certainly doesn't look like "grandma" driving to me:
15863183039395386300033229610681-jpg.530203

Didn't you say you drive around with no elevation changes? So what are those big sustained spikes?

You can tell how far you off by the numbers it reports. Based on EPA range it is showing your remaining capacity as 73 miles. But based on your last 30 miles of driving it estimates you really only have 50 miles of range remaining.

So your "grandma" driving only gets ~68% of the EPA rated range.

Oh I missed this. Using 364 Wh/mi is a consumption problem not a car problem.

Some part of the driving scenario is using a LOT of power.

Reactions: Ulmo
I have mentioned earlier I have charged to 100% (knowing it may not be the best thing to do but had to test due to poor mileage).
@glide, the profile may show good average Wh/mi, but I still won't be getting more than (my estimate) more than 170 -175 miles per full charge and extremely conservative driving. This is certainly not what was advertised by Tesla.
I also had the opportunity to read the thread one of you posted above and it does say that, UNDEE EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES range may drop to 180.
I am by no means living in or putting the vehicle through extreme circumstances.
Also, any comments on the battery capacity? It does not look like I have 70KWh battery based on my output and projected remaining power...
You will likely never get what is advertised.

Too many factors come into play. Elevation, wheel size, driving style, temperature, etc...

• Disagree
Reactions: jelloslug
Thank you all for replies.
Spikes in the energy profile are acceleration getting on the freeway.
My drive to work (13 miles) includes 10 miles of freeway driving and about 3 miles of urban/city/residential driving.
So,yeah, "grandma driving" is barely tapping accelerator to stay at 65-70mph on the freeway while being passed by Accords and Corollas and doing 15-30mph in residential area.

• Informative
What's your tire pressure? I noticed a big change going from 40 psi to 45 psi. Also, it doesn't like variance in pressure. Get a good gauge and match each tire precisely. I drive mine with a heavy right foot and my average use after 450 miles is 305 wh/m. That gives a 250 mile range. If i cruise steady on the freeway at 65, I get about 270. That's good for the advertised range of 280. Model Y PUP, 21" wheels.

Last edited:
My drive to work (13 miles) includes 10 miles of freeway driving and about 3 miles of urban/city/residential driving.
So,yeah, "grandma driving" is barely tapping accelerator to stay at 65-70mph on the freeway while being passed by Accords and Corollas and doing 15-30mph in residential area.

It’s not the spikes, it’s the average. That’s a high Wh/mi. Some part of your driving (elevation, ambient temp, rain, whatever) is using a lot of power.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and empiredown
At 65-70mph you’re already not going to get rated range.

Same with 15-30mph.

You need to be going 55 on a flat road. Your car is fine. It’s your foot and environmental conditions.

View attachment 530203 Dont know how to upload pics yet but here it is:

Since last charge:
128.8 miles
44kWh
345 Wh/mi
26%battery remaining

Most worrisome number for me here is 44kWh used at 26%battery left. That means that ~75% of my battery is 44kWh. That would make my battery capacity only 60kWh. I thought Y's battery is 70kWh.

Moreover my car was delivered with 73% battery remaining. I charged it once at home and once at supercharger (that's the juice I'm using now).
My "lifetime stats" are:

460.8 mi
168kWh
364 Wh/mi

If someone can help me with direct image upload to my post I will send my energy profile.
Even with "grandma" driving, my usage NEVER drops below 320 Wh/mi (unless on downhill).

This is really frustrating. I believe I may not have the same size battery as the rest of you...

That's not how the trip computer works. It is the amount of energy used to drive the vehicle a certain mileage with a certain amount of kw. It does not account for battery used by anything else, such as phantom drain from sentry mode, ac/heater, etc.

My car says I get 300 wh/mi, but I lose a lot of battery just keeping sentry mode on all day. So even if it says I used 40 kw to drive 100 miles, in reality, my battery has drained 46.

My model s "can" get 240 wh/mi driving like a grandma but I average 300+. I have no clue how you are getting so high.

i am getting 297wh/mile after 768 miles driven.

this comes out to about 244 miles of range - if i did that right. (is 72.5k battery the right number?)
i dont have performance version so was looking forward to something closer to rated 315.

20in induction wheels, driving in massachusetts, not too cold, usually turn the heat off anyway.
Sure i had to test the acceleration but that was maybee 10 times for merging/passing.
about 50% highway - set to 70-71 most of the time.

was hoping for better.....