Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model Y's range SUCKS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive 22 miles each way to work. Mostly highway. I set autopilot on 63 MPH and usually use 240-260 wh/mile. This equates to right at the rated range. Outdoor temps have been in the 70’s and 80’s. Probably won’t be quite this good when it gets hotter or colder. But under the conditions I described, the rated mileage seems to be right on target.

I am also concerned about the range on my MY PUP and I even swapped out the Uberturbines with 20” Sportline TSS wheels to increase my range.

I have a 90 mile round trip commute on mostly freeway and averaged 356 wh/mi. I averaged 75mph, usually have AC on, use the auto pilot often and don’t always drive conservatively but nothing crazy. I just hooked up Sentry so it hasn’t been a factor for the last week and I also lowered psi to 39 all around to increase comfort of the ride but this still seems much more inefficient than what I expected. Thoughts?

I have a feeling the Gemini wheels make a bigger difference than we might give them credit for. Seems like the people reporting decent range have the Gemini wheels.

I didn't like the look of the Gemeni wheels and was sure I'd remove the covers. Now that I have them, I really like how they look with the covers on. Less susceptible to curb rash and a smoother ride are important pluses as is the extra $2k in my pocket.

19" wheels

300+ miles with consumption of 300 Wh/mi to 350 Wh/mi.
The math does not work here, lets see if we can work this out together.

300+ miles at the low end of your consumption 300 Wh/mi would give us:
Code:
300 (mi) * 0.300 (kWh/mi) = 90 kWh pack
We can all agree that the pack on the MY is 75 kWh pack (like the Model 3).
So either your consumption is better or you are not getting over 300 miles of range.

For you to hit 300 mile range on a 75 kWh pack you would be averaging 250 Wh/mile.

Code:
So either your consumption is better or you are not getting over 300 miles of range.

For you to hit 300 mile range on a 75 kWh pack you would be averaging 250 Wh/mile.

The sticker under the hood (under the plastic panel) says 74 kWh.
20200625_074434.jpg

I didn't like the look of the Gemeni wheels and was sure I'd remove the covers. Now that I have them, I really like how they look with the covers on. Less susceptible to curb rash and a smoother ride are important pluses as is the extra $2k in my pocket.

I was the same way. I didn’t like the Gemini wheels much in the website photos. I had planned to remove the covers. The minute I saw them in person my opinion changed. The actually look really good on the car. If they improve range, all the better.

Reactions: preilly44
Now I regret switching my order to Stealth with Inductions :(
Here's something interesting from an older Car and Driver article (2020 Tesla Model Y Review, Pricing, and Specs)
Fuel Economy and Real-World MPG
The EPA has only published the Performance model's fuel economy estimates and it earns ratings of 129 MPGe in the city, 112 MPGe on the highway, and 121 MPGe combined; we expect the Standard and Long Range models will earn slightly higher ratings. The Model Y that we tested was a Long Range model with all-wheel drive, and over our 200-mile highway fuel economy test route we recorded just 94 MPGe and an estimated highway driving range of 220 miles.
Interesting that they haven't gotten expected fuel economy either ... also, specs that they listed (and tested) showed 80.5kWh battery - so I wonder if EPA's test was done with different battery and maybe different configuration than the one being sold now. I know that average speed of EPA test on highway is 48mph, so their range estimate is probably meaningless anyway ...

Reactions: Electric Steve

Code:

Guess I was not totally clear. I have done a total of 300 miles since getting the car, not on one charge. Three trips over 50 miles, one over 100 miles. My consumption for the trips was between 300 - 350 Wh/mi. With a 74Kwh battery that gives me an expected range of 74000/350 to 74000/300 = 211 to 247 miles. That is why I am questioning if there is some variance in people's range experience, especially given the OP's numbers.

I’ve had my MYP for a little over a week, my results are very similar. I’ll admit to a little over zealous driving in this first week, but I have no confidence this car will ever get 280 miles on a charge. I could easily get the EPA rating of 240 miles on my leased Bolt, air on 70 mph. This model Y seems to be about 30% less efficient.
Because you're driving it 30% more aggressively than the Bolt. :D

Checking back in...
My service did not produce any real solutions. Tesla did remote diagnostics again and said all is good. Wipers were fixed but they did not bother to fix chipped hood paint. Phone charger still doesn't work and the tech said it was charging his iPhone so I guess I'm SOL.
As far as the heat pump issue, that's the only thing that makes sense as the brakes are certainly not the issue. I would have heard/smelled something by now.
One thing I do notice is that my A/C takes a while to kick in. I mean something like 15 miles before its blowing cold air. Also, something that I can only describe as "deep breathing" noise every once in a while (like a deep breath in followed by a breath out). It is really loud and I didn't know whether it was normal or not and never reported it. My worst mileage on about a 250 mile charge (I charged to 90%) was 150 miles with remaining range under 10 miles and the car freaking out.
Any input would be appreciated as I have pretty much given up on this car ever giving me even 75% efficiency as some here are reporting.
As some have said, any acceleration puts me above 900Wh, I am able to normalize consumption with cruise mode to just above 280 Wh but it takes good 10+ miles on flat straight road to get there. This coincides with AC starting to blow cold air...
Thats it for now.

• Informative
Reactions: Pilot1226
Subscribed.

Your AC not working ~immediately is a bad sign. You should take videos and document these things.

I don't have anything substantial add, but I did notice a few very large peaks (two >>900Wh) on my Consumption window after I picked up my car. This was before I drove it home. I'm thinking it was because of factory testing (and/or the AC & fan set on max while my car was sitting out in the sun for pick-up).

My hwy driving range seem reasonable, but I generally stay in the passing lanes.

• Informative
Reactions: Pilot1226
Another Bay Area data-point:

Highway miles from Mountain View to Santa Cruz via Hwy 17 (over and back) and back to Santa Clara so twisty with somewhat substantial elevation change.

- AC set to 70deg, outside ambient was ~65deg
- 82.3 miles
- 23 kWh
- 283 Wh/mi average

I'm going to guess my average speed was about 65mph. I tried to drive normally and passed quite a few slower drivers. Unfortunately, I got pulled over for speeding on Hwy 17 northbound around a mile past Summit Rd on the return leg. The officer said I was doing ~70 in a 40 construction zone. UGH--I go over Hwy 17 regularly and totally didn't see the construction warning signs. :(