Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model Y's range SUCKS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range is rather disappointing, it seems the 316 rating is based on a consumption of about 234Wh/mi whereas actual consumption in normal driving will be in the 300-350 Wh/mi window (resulting in a range of 250-211 miles).

I had a BMW i3 for three years, rated at 114 miles (plus 80 from the gas generator), and even after 3 years I always got the full miles with normal driving.

Reactions: Jabbahop
Range is rather disappointing, it seems the 316 rating is based on a consumption of about 234Wh/mi whereas actual consumption in normal driving will be in the 300-350 Wh/mi window (resulting in a range of 250-211 miles).

I had a BMW i3 for three years, rated at 114 miles (plus 80 from the gas generator), and even after 3 years I always got the full miles with normal driving.
This is why I don’t understand why people bash companies like Audi/BMW/Ford for their range estimates.

Tesla highly inflates the range as it is based on optimal driving conditions. If an Audi E-from says it’s going to get 200 miles, it gets 200 miles in real-world scenarios including things like running the heat or AC while you drive.

Tesla highly inflates the range as it is based on optimal driving conditions.
Uhmm, they just use the EPA range (sometimes it says EPA estimate* until the official numbers are released)

You could accuse them of figuring out how to game the EPA test cycle, but you can't accuse them of pulling range number out of thin air* (*optimal conditions).

OK, so you have figured the range is less than you thought. Does this mean you can't make it from work to home? Or are you just complaining for fun? I imagine you can figure out how to live with paying a small fraction of what you paid for gas and oil and maintenance on that BMW, and the 3 goes quicker. OR YOU CAN SELL IT and make someone very happy, as you drive your burner.

OK, so you have figured the range is less than you thought. Does this mean you can't make it from work to home? Or are you just complaining for fun? I imagine you can figure out how to live with paying a small fraction of what you paid for gas and oil and maintenance on that BMW, and the 3 goes quicker. OR YOU CAN SELL IT and make someone very happy, as you drive your burner.

There is really no need to be so belligerent, as if you are being personally harmed here. Many of us need as much range as possible, like myself, and this information is extremely valuable.

Please be aware that EPA range figured at 60 or 65 mph on level ground with no acceleration or deceleration. If you drive that way, you will probably get the range you need, for a while. Batteries degrade, ie: lose range about 5% the first year and then another 1% per year after that. If you are cutting yourself close, you have to either slow down, or buy a longer range car.

I have always wanted more range, even though I had no real need. With superchargers every hundred or so miles, and slow chargers all over the place (even down by the pizza joint I frequent), I was already well served and never ran out of charge in over 180,000 miles of Tesla driving. But I still paid extra to get the longest range Tesla available.

Even my wife says I'm belligerent, or worse. I blame it on the heat, and my apologies. But to all other readers who are contemplating buying a Tesla, my advice is to get more range than you think you'll need, and then drive it like someone in their eighties if range is critical.

On thing: Never calculate your range based on your driving over a period of days. You will always get a lower range over many days. The best way to find out is to drive say, 250 miles on a single day starting from a full charge, driving at or below 70 mph.

Since OP already had a Model S, I am sure he is aware of all this

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
For the most part 95% of my driving is local and around town... 30-40 % usage maximum a day is the norm.... on the few times i take a trip i think the shorter range of the Y then expected maybe equates to an extra 30-60 minutes in charging and thats on a decent length trip.

With that said it just means the car shorter range has no real impact in my life other then maybe I’m spending an extra 50% in electricity then expected..

If i was on the road continuously on long trips well then i could understand the range frustration a little but for the few trips a year i dont feel it will really negatively impact me...just my thoughts

This is an interesting topic. Waiting for OP to respond with their latest service appointment with some good news, hopefully. I had a caliper freeze on my first car - a Jeep - and someone let me know at a traffic light... I had no idea, just figured Jeeps drove like crap. :D

I'm hoping that realistically I would be somewhere around the 300 Wh/Mi area. I drive a lot of city, so I'm hoping it pushes lower towards the 250 mark, but there's a big difference to someone that would charge on 120V between 3 and 4 miles per kW...

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I am confused...does Tesla set the EPA range? I always thought there was a standard EPA test that all manufactures had to follow and they get what they get. I didn't realize Tesla was able to make up there own inflated EPA numbers.
No, you are not confused, Tesla uses the EPA rated mileage.

In fact Tesla asked the EPA to use a lower number (you can ask to lower it not raise it) for the Model 3 at launch.

Even more, Consumer Reports ran the test themselves and still were able to get the EPA rated numbers Tesla Model 3 gets 350 miles in new 'long-range mode' test - Electrek

For the most part 95% of my driving is local and around town... 30-40 % usage maximum a day is the norm.... on the few times i take a trip i think the shorter range of the Y then expected maybe equates to an extra 30-60 minutes in charging and thats on a decent length trip.

With that said it just means the car shorter range has no real impact in my life other then maybe I’m spending an extra 50% in electricity then expected..

If i was on the road continuously on long trips well then i could understand the range frustration a little but for the few trips a year i dont feel it will really negatively impact me...just my thoughts
Pretty much this. We charge to 80 and most days use 30-40, occasionally more. We’ve also done a charge to 100 for a trip and separately relied on SC when we didn’t. All good.

Anyone can meet or exceed the EPA if they choose to. It just comes at a cost in time. You’re paying one way or another

The BMW i3 is an EV, with a 2-cyl gas generator that can increase the 114 mile rated EV range to 200. I put 2 gallons of gas in the car over the 3 year lease. No maintenance, it is an EV after all, and as I said, it always even after 3 years gave me the rated 114 miles. So you wonder why I am disappointed that Tesla claim 316 miles and actually only deliver less than 250? Also, as a BMW, everything, including lane departure warning, always worked. Not the Tesla.

Reactions: Jabbahop
Tesla claim 316 miles and actually only deliver less than 250?
You need to take this up with the EPA.

They are using an EPA range number based on the EPA test cycle.
Either Tesla is gaming the EPA test cycle and EPA needs to account for it in their testing.
Or you drive really aggressively and possibly on the large 21’’ Überturbine Wheels which the Tesla site warns will take the range down a full 36 miles
upload_2020-6-29_17-32-26.png

In the OP's case, there looks to be something wrong (and Tesla needs to correct it)... unless we are not getting the full picture.

The BMW i3 is an EV, with a 2-cyl gas generator that can increase the 114 mile rated EV range to 200. I put 2 gallons of gas in the car over the 3 year lease. No maintenance, it is an EV after all, and as I said, it always even after 3 years gave me the rated 114 miles. So you wonder why I am disappointed that Tesla claim 316 miles and actually only deliver less than 250? Also, as a BMW, everything, including lane departure warning, always worked. Not the Tesla.

Actually, you only deliver less than 250... Modify your driving or go back to the Beemer... Choice is yours, Mano...

This is why I don’t understand why people bash companies like Audi/BMW/Ford for their range estimates.

Tesla highly inflates the range as it is based on optimal driving conditions. If an Audi E-from says it’s going to get 200 miles, it gets 200 miles in real-world scenarios including things like running the heat or AC while you drive.

My E-Tron does not come close to the 200 mile range rated by Audi... closer to 110 in real-world driving in the Bay Area without the HVAC system running! Let's just say the car has spent more time at the dealership than with me over the last 5 months.

Reactions: Reborn
Did you get your MY last week?
What is your config?
In the ~5 days of driving does the actual range differ greatly for you?

Are you actually having a problem with your MY range?

19" wheels

300+ miles with consumption of 300 Wh/mi to 350 Wh/mi. This seems to be in line with what others are reporting here. To get 316 miles out of 74000 Kwh battery I would need to have a consumption of 234 Wh/mi. Is that what anyone here gets? If BMW attain the EPA rating why not Tesla?

Last edited:
I’ve had my MYP for a little over a week, my results are very similar. I’ll admit to a little over zealous driving in this first week, but I have no confidence this car will ever get 280 miles on a charge. I could easily get the EPA rating of 240 miles on my leased Bolt, air on 70 mph. This model Y seems to be about 30% less efficient.