Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about their wheel, but the tire sold by Modern Spare has an actual speed rating and is not a "Temporary Spare" with a 50 mph speed limit and limited mileage usage. A Temporary Spare from a Genesis does have those limitations.

You're right! A quick Google shows that its the Bimmerzone Spare
Tesla Model 3 Spare Tire (Emergency Space Saver) : Bimmerzone.com that is off a Genesis.

BIM-SST-TESLA-3-KIT-01.jpg

So whats the consensus on a flat tire? What are the necessary items for fixing a flat if you dont want to wait for roadside???

or youre in your driveway for a quick fix?

Thanks

F792Ce5.jpg

There isn't any REAL solution. Some believe that after they solve the portable jack issue, (see siminoff great roadside emergency kit posts above) that liquid sealant kits and/or rope plugs along with a portable electric air pump will save the day when and if they're ever in the middle of nowhere. Here are the facts as I know them as of this writing:

1) If your Tesla is equipped with OEM Silent-Run tires (that is with inner foam pads mounted along the inner tread surface) made by Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, etc., neither solution will be dependable enough for 35-50mph highway travel as the foam will prevent the Tesla/Slime sealant goo from effectively reaching the puncture. Simple rope plugs will also be prevented from sealing the backside of the puncture (achieved by both air pressure and centrifugal force) because of the same Silent-Run Foam Pad getting in the way. (Note: Most if not all New Tesla's have Silent-Run inner tire pads)

2) If you must use either the Tesla or Slime injectable sealant kits, chances are good (based on both testing and owner feedback testimonies) you won't get very far if at all. Besides if you did use it with some limited success, the sealant will be disproportionately absorbed into the the foam pad like a sponge rendering the tire useless since it can no longer be properly balanced once the goo cures-up! (Unless you can convince the tire shop to dismount the tire, rip out & remove the entire pad along with the goo, then professionally repair the tire using a pro-plug-patch from the inside, remount & balance in the usual way.) (See pix below)

61%2BOVfqjN6L._SX522_.jpg

3) Many Tesla owners are now having their tires professionally dismounted in order to entirely remove the inner Silent-Run foam pads thus providing some peace of mind in case they ever find themselves in a jam. The temporary fix sealant kits and/or rope plugs will now work as designed. (Remember you will need to first find an effective way to lift the car by the roadside, using a proper single fulcrum jack with a proper lift-point adaptor, again please see siminoff's posts above.)

4) There are brilliant minds working on this issue as we speak, from designing and retrofitting new frunk tubs to handle an expandable space-saver spare tire and jack, to new roadside flat fix kits that will work with Silent-Run Foam Pad equipped tires.... so please check back from time to time.

Until then, good luck with 3rd party roadside vendors!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Simple rope plugs will also be prevented from sealing the backside of the puncture (achieved by both air pressure and centrifugal force) because of the same Silent-Run Foam Pad getting in the way.
Is there any official information from the tire manufacturers on this? I still don't see why that would be the case. To my knowledge centrifugal force has nothing to do with creating the seal when using a rope plug (if it did, the plug would only work when driving at a higher speed). As far as I understand it the seal is created when you pull the insertion tool out, which squeezes the inner ends of the rope back into the hole from the inside with some pressure before the tool cuts the loop on the way out. In essence you press 4 times the rope diameter into the hole from the inside. Some plugs use rubber cement for additional sealing. I don't see how the foam would interfere with any of that (it will be ripped away around the hole anyway by the reamer).

That said, a plug is of course not a permanent solution. But as a temporary fix it should work just as good (or not) whether the tire has acoustic foam or not.
3) Many Tesla owners are now having their tires professionally dismounted in order to entirely remove the inner Silent-Run foam pads thus providing some peace of mind in case they ever find themselves in a jam.
Many? Really? That seems kind of extreme.

Hi Eno, please expand quote to read response, thanks.

Is there any official information from the tire manufacturers on this? (Continental is the only manufacturer that has responded. They claim that sealants are "not recommended" for their Silent-Run tires, and that's about all they would say.)

I still don't see why that would be the case. To my knowledge centrifugal force has nothing to do with creating the seal when using a rope plug (if it did, the plug would only work when driving at a higher speed). As far as I understand it the seal is created when you pull the insertion tool out, which squeezes the inner ends of the rope back into the hole from the inside with some pressure before the tool cuts the loop on the way out. In essence you press 4 times the rope diameter into the hole from the inside. Some plugs use rubber cement for additional sealing. I don't see how the foam would interfere with any of that (it will be ripped away around the hole anyway by the reamer). (Sorry I didn't get into detail but this is how it works. If properly inserted into the puncture of a pre-inflated tire by approx. 2/3-3/4 of its folded length, the self-vulcanizing rope plug is then forced against the tire's inner tread rubber surface when you first withdraw the tool and then by the air pressure as it tries to escape. This compresses the sticky rope material against the rubber backside of the puncture hole thus making a seal. Then as you drive on it, the spinning centrifuge-effect squeezes the sticky rope plug even further against the inner rubber wall of the tire forming an almost solid dome-like rivet shape which improves the seal further, providing under 50mph emergency speeds. Now imagine inserting the rope plug through the tire and through the foam pad. Then as you withdraw the tool from the puncture, the sticky rope plug will now come into contact with the foam pad first, not the rubber inner surface of the tire where the self-vulcanizing adhesive can effectively do its job. This is where the issue becomes rather risky IMO)

Now imagine a 1.25"-1.75" thick pad in the way.
Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 12.55.01 PM.png

That said, a plug is of course not a permanent solution. But as a temporary fix it should work just as good (or not) whether the tire has acoustic foam or not.

Many? Really? That seems kind of extreme. (We've done about a dozen so far, and these customers have reported that many of their friends with Model 3's across the country are following suit. In fact we've done it to both of my Model 3's! Word is spreading rather fast another words.)

Last edited:
IMO the most important piece of "kit" to have with you is your mobile phone. If you haven't already entered Tesla's toll-free number into your contacts, this is as good a time as any (877) 798-3752 :)

Here's a pic' of what I currently have in my "No Spare Tire" kit:
tesla_tirekit1.jpg

I keep this stuff in a nylon pouch in the lower trunk (see below). It all fits except the jack and breaker bar, and the total weight of everything is 9lbs.
The green bag on the right has my charge cord in it.
tesla_tirekit2.jpg

Hey Rip', you might wanna fact-check your numbers before posting...
• A long-range dual-motor Model 3 weighs in just shy of 4,100 pounds... and the 50/50 weight distribution puts ~1,025lbs on each corner. Lifting my car with the Audi jack requires very little effort.
• I don't know how many Elon personally sold last quarter, but it's safe to say it was nowhere near 80K. (Tesla only produced 53,239 Model 3's in Q3 2018).
• I do hope that somebody copies the my jack pad and sells them inexpensively.. I doubt anybody here would pay what I would charge to make 'em. Old Audi jacks are cheap and readily available on eBay or ay any auto-dismantler.
-Mark

if you don’t mind my asking,
what brand/model is that lower trunk organizer?
it looks like it’s an exact fit!

If properly inserted into the puncture of a pre-inflated tire by approx. 2/3-3/4 of its folded length, the self-vulcanizing rope plug is then forced against the tire's inner tread rubber surface when you first withdraw the tool
Yes, that's basically what I wrote.
and then by the air pressure as it tries to escape.
This doesn't make any sense. Air pressure acts equally in all directions and will thus not press the rubber against the inner surface. At best it will squeeze some of the material into the hole until it is closed if the tire still has air when you do the repair (due to the pressure differential), but it will not deform the surplus material inside the tire. The "mushroom" shape shown in your picture is caused when you pull out the tool, and it would do the exact same thing if there was foam (which will be pushed aside if it hasn't already been ripped away by the reamer).

(We've done about a dozen so far, and these customers have reported that many of their friends with Model 3's across the country are following suit. In fact we've done it to both of my Model 3's! Word is spreading rather fast another words.)
Just to get this straight: people are actually bringing their cars to a tire shop to have the inner foam removed from all their tires just because of some vague theories about the foam's impact on roadside repairability?

Also, would you mind stating who "we" is? Do you have a commercial interest in this?

Last edited: