Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a pix of the Frunk cover (with handle) I mentioned earlier. I fashioned it from a piece of black FoamCore by first making a template out of cardboard. It protects the under-hood if something were to come loose from my Emergency Roadside Frunk Kit (please see earlier post). Its real easy to make. I plan to clear coat the top and bottom surfaces using a satin clear sealant to help make it water resistant.

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 6.44.31 PM.png

Here's a pix of the Frunk cover (with handle) I mentioned earlier. I fashioned it from a piece of black FoamCore by first making a template out of cardboard. It protects the under-hood if something were to come loose from my Emergency Roadside Frunk Kit (please see earlier post). Its real easy to make. I plan to clear coat the top and bottom surfaces using a satin clear sealant to help make it water resistant.

View attachment 380827

If that had a picture of an ICE engine on it, it’d be perfect. Or a hamster wheel. Or an astromech droid.

Can anyone recommend a compact and lightweight scissor jack with a suitable jack pad for the Model 3? All the ones I've looked at have saddle pads that would probably damage the round jackpoints on the Tesla. Yes, I know there are various jack pad adapters, but they reduce the ground clearance under the jack points by an inch or so which makes it too low for the rated lift range of most scissor jacks.

I cannot take credit for what the OP ( @mswlogo ) of the thread in the link below found.

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

This is a fantastic jack and I found mine without all the goodies (handle, foam...etc...) on eBay in perfect shape for $60 delivered, I went a little bit different in that I chose to grind off part of the nub with an angle grinder and an abrasive disc so it fits perfectly in the hole and now I do not need a jack pad, this thing is incredibly well built and I have used it to change all 4 tires twice without issues, I highly recommend this jack as @mswlogo of the above thread has.

02A0QLoxQaeGq7eEE71v8w.jpg
lMZbWu03RduU8qhDIriivg.jpg
TYK4CH7gTYi3wotaZUL6zA.jpg
dNvx7nEOSumf166nn3rxFA.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC and Eno Deb
What model floor jack?

I picked up one of these 3000 lb. capacity jacks at Harbor Freight Tools for $59 bucks. (Please see pic below for strap-down locations. Post 121 shows a Frunk cover.) They're all over the country and it works great!... Has a carrying handle too. But unlike retrofitted Porsche & Audi scissor jacks, this dual pump hydraulic jack feels way more secure and sturdy IMO, with a wide stance... not over stressed and flimsy like scissors do on this car. We tested them, most felt too scary especially in the rear drivers side ... very heavy in that corner. .. not for me..

You'll also need to buy a Model 3 jack point adaptor from Reverse Logic.

2_ITEM_RAPID_PUMP_1.5_TON_ALUMINUM_RACING_JACK_1550782787.4912.png
images.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.51.41 AM.png

Last edited:
I picked up my M3 on July 28, 2018. This is my first car without a spare tire. After doing a bit of research I have put together a kit for my M3 to deal with a flat tire if roadside assistance is not an easy option. My kit includes:
  • Viair 88P Compressor (Purchased on Amazon)
  • Slime Deluxe Tire Plug Kit (Purchased from Walmart)
  • Milwaukee 6 inch Long Nose Torque Lock Pliers (Purchased from Home Depot)
The Viair 88P hooks directly to the 12 volt battery. (Red first, then black.) I tested it by deflating my front left tire to 19.5 pounds and then re-inflated it to 42.5 pounds. I left the Tesla "on" by leaving the driver door ajar. The compressor worked great and inflated the tire in a minute or two. (I didn't time it.)

This compressor is probably overkill, but it was not that much more than lesser models, is definitely cheaper than the official Tesla model, and I don't have to worry about drawing too much current through the cigarette lighter plug.

The long nose locking pliers are to pull any nail or screw out of the tire. Not pictures is a pair of leather work gloves and a knife I keep in a tool bag in the rear trunk.

Hopefully I never need to use this kit, but I drive from Phoenix to Los Angeles and San Diego three or four times per year, so better safe than sorry.
.View attachment 326872 View attachment 326874

I have the same pump( for my X3) is there a concern about the amount of AMPs the pump draws?

Do these Cordless Inflators have 12V bypass? To much fuss worrying about if yet another battery is charged for emergency that will be dead just when I need it.

I had the same concern. I just got a bicycle pump. They make floor models that are collapsible, yet still usable (though not as good as non-collapsible), and it only takes about 10-12 pumps per PSI for 18" wheels. I need the exercise. If you're really hardcore you can just get a tiny pump intended for high volume mountain bike tires which has a sufficiently high PSI rating - but could be frustrating.

Really? On the box it says tool only and has listed what it comes with.
This is a very common way of helping people save money by not offering every product in their lineup with a battery and charger.
Do some research before your next purchase.
Oh and just because you didn't find what you expected in the box doesn't mean that what you did find is junk.

Really? On the box it says tool only and has listed what it comes with.
This is a very common way of helping people save money by not offering every product in their lineup with a battery and charger.
Do some research before your next purchase.
Oh and just because you didn't find what you expected in the box doesn't mean that what you did find is junk.

It's a POS. And the only way to find out it was a POS was to buy it. No big deal, I return lots of stuff.
If you're buying these for an emergency compressor you're gonna need to dedicate a battery to it.
So it's really a $180.00 unit, I'm warning others that it's not a full solution for this application.
You can't charge it with 12V. So you probably want to keep a charger in the car too?
It's easier to just use the straight 12V. Why bother with the rest of it? And I have no plans to inflate a raft.

I bought this instead. 1/4 the price, 10x the speed, way more durable and more compact.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036E9VB6

Speed matters a LOT.

I did plenty of research. That's why I returned it. I guess you kept yours, LOL.

I did my research. My daughter has the dewalt tools and several batteries. She has a child so ability to blow up and deflate inflatables is great. She'll carry it in the car with a battery for emergencies and use it at the house for normal tire filling. It also has a 12V cord and says it does not draw more than 10A so in a pinch she would be able to use the car to power it. BTW it does operate fine. It even has a light. The pressure cutoff is very handy. Esp if you don't want to be watching the compressor because it is raining or you are stopped beside the road. Safer to be in the car.

I have several Viair (3) and the one you chose may be fast but requires up to 15A from the car. Also says the car should be running.
I don't know what the interruption rating is on the Tesla but most cars are limited to 10A. Be sure to test it under pressure at home in case it causes the circuit to shut down. Just so you know. Viair has no pressure cutoff and no light and no battery. So it must be plugged in to use. I've found battery power is so much nicer because of the portability. I have rigged my jumpstarters to power my compressors so I don't need the long cord.

• Informative
Reactions: tvad
Speed matters a LOT.
I have the old Black and Decker Airstation with 12v/120v, no batt. Not the current model.

Tried to inflate the tires in my RV with it once and burned it out! Fortunately, it was under warranty, but it did make me realize that these have a threshold and if we stay below it, we may never see it, but if you use it a lot or on a hot day I presume, the ball inflators will fail as tire inflators.

I would like to replace the B&D with a better unit like the one above, but I ALSO like it to stop on a specific pressure as this one does. I was recently using my mechanic's digital inflator, I realize I also want a feature where it will deflate on demand too. That was a cool way of getting exactly the right pressure manually.

Heck, while I am fantasizing, how about a single cord that I use to connect ALL my tires together. It has 4 locking air chucks on a length of air hose. Then I inflate the whole kit-n-kaboodle from the end of the hose, thus filling and equalizing them all at once.

If speed matters a lot then buy a 120V compressor like roofers/framers use. They have a tank to store the air.
But you can't practically take them on the road. Viair (amazon) has several sizes for different size tires. The one I have for my truck (55-60psi in the tires required) comes with battery clips because it can draw ~20A and no power port can deliver that. I have a heavy duty jumpstarter that's lithium powered and I added plugs to the compressor so I can use it. I don't recall having seen a Viair that stop at a certain pressure.

Well my number finally came up... after more than 35 years of driving, I had my first flat tire last night
I was on my way to pick up my son from his robotics competition and heard a whap-whap-whap sound from the driver's side rear wheel. I figured it was just a stone stuck in the tread and quickly pulled into a parking lot to inspect it. As soon as I opened the door I heard the hissss and then saw the bolt head sticking out of the tire.:mad:
I jacked up the car, removed the wheel off, pulled out the bolt with my Vice-Grips (yes, there was a nut was on the bolt and yes the nut went through the tire carcass!), shoved 2 plugs through the hole, refilled the tire, reinstalled the wheel, and was on my way in 20 minutes flat. Definitely faster and more convenient than waiting for Tesla Roadside to fix it.
The tire hasn't lost any pressure over night, but as a rule I don't trust plugs. I'm gonna drop the wheel off at my favorite local shop this morning to see if they are willing to proper patch put on the inside... but the hole is on the shoulder so it may not be repairable. Boooo:(hooo

tesla_tirekit3.jpg

tesla_tirekit4.jpg

tesla_tirekit5.jpg

tesla_tirekit6.jpg

tesla_tirekit1.jpg