Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My ongoing Model 3 troubles since day one!

Anyone else getting this treatment?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can verify that I was asked to sign for the car on an iPad before I was allowed to look at it. This was at West Drayton. The reason I was given was that this was to "prevent the car systems being confused when I got in it with my 'phone on".

I was not told that I was signing acceptance of the car at all, in fact when I found a couple of paint defects and reported them a few minutes later, the same sales chap used his iPad to photograph them and file the report on them, promising that they would be rectified (little did I know that this process wouldn't be until January 20th, and involve a 100 miles round trip).

Out of curiosity, did you read what it is your were signing for before giving them your signature?

Sorry to hear you are having these issues. Unfortunately we get similar posts like this almost every day on this forum and they all have the same format:

1) I had a bad delivery experience
2) There were lots of things wrong with the car, including paint defects and misaligned body panels
3) I took delivery anyway and just figured they would fix everything.

The post then goes on to say:

1) They aren’t being very receptive to my concerns
2) I can’t get a response to my voicemail, email, service appointment request
3) They don’t want to fix some things I found wrong
4) I’m not happy

And the advice we give to every new buyer before they take delivery is the same:

1) Don’t be rushed through the delivery process
2) Don’t accept a car that has any paint defects, body panel defects, or other issues that require a follow up service appointment
3) If you do accept the car, get a written plan of action from Tesla prior to giving them any money on what they are willing to fix and how quickly. If they won’t give this to you...reject the car.

Unfortunately, too many people don’t take the time to read through these posts and learn from other people’s mistakes, and the cycle keeps repeating itself. So I’m not writing this to correct you for the things you missed, but to hopefully educate future buyers who can learn from your experience.

I hope you are able to find a satisfactory resolution to your issues.

On my delivery day...

Two doors on my new model3 was misaligned. The front bumper was slightly misaligned too. I didn’t sit in the car and pointed out all the issue first. They kindly took the car straight to the workshop and fixed all of it in no time. Maybe 30 minutes?

Other cars had similar issues and people didn’t care and drove off.

I bet they complain now
when they are trying to get it fixed post delivery.

Not defending Tesla’s position but they simply cannot catch up with the insane demand for their vehicles. So much pent up demand around the world they cannot build GFs quick enough. Imagined if customers were told they needed to wait a further 4 weeks for their cars to be PDId and rectified. Tesla are not chasing targets. The 5,000 odd M3s sold in the U.K. to date they could easily shift in their home market. They are trying to get you out of your fossil burners and behind the wheel of BEV. At the same time, try and grow their SC network and grow/upgrade their SuC network. Yes, their cars are expensive and yes, they can do a better job at it. Lest we forget, Tesla is only 16 years old. This, the price of being an early adopter. My car was not without fault at delivery. I only signed acknowledging receipt when I was ready to drive off. All faults rectified 5 weeks later. Tesla replaced the entire windscreen for the slightest of blemish no questions asked. I don’t think any other manufacturer would do this. The 7-day return policy is really an extended test drive. Your statutory rights remain.

Obviously bogus, and completely ludicrous, but I wasn't prepared to have a stand up argument in front of half a dozen other people about it, as the signature's pretty worthless when you can easily prove pre-existing visual defects in the car.

Yes why would anyone expect to be manipulated during a day which was meant to be a positive experience, to only be ruined by some fool who is overworked.

All faults rectified 5 weeks later. Tesla replaced the entire windscreen for the slightest of blemish no questions asked. I don’t think any other manufacturer would do this. The 7-day return policy is really an extended test drive. Your statutory rights remain.

I would give Tesla the benefit of the doubt for the delivery idiot but they have had 3 months and nobody has really stood out for being helpful to actually get anything done.

It also doesn't help with a lot of people on social media blanking and ignoring anyone who has an issue with their cars.

Not defending Tesla’s position but they simply cannot catch up with the insane demand for their vehicles. So much pent up demand around the world they cannot build GFs quick enough. Imagined if customers were told they needed to wait a further 4 weeks for their cars to be PDId and rectified. Tesla are not chasing targets. The 5,000 odd M3s sold in the U.K. to date they could easily shift in their home market. They are trying to get you out of your fossil burners and behind the wheel of BEV. At the same time, try and grow their SC network and grow/upgrade their SuC network. Yes, their cars are expensive and yes, they can do a better job at it. Lest we forget, Tesla is only 16 years old. This, the price of being an early adopter. My car was not without fault at delivery. I only signed acknowledging receipt when I was ready to drive off. All faults rectified 5 weeks later. Tesla replaced the entire windscreen for the slightest of blemish no questions asked. I don’t think any other manufacturer would do this. The 7-day return policy is really an extended test drive. Your statutory rights remain.

I some what understand what you are saying and I am sure the service people are trying their best under this mass influx of car issues. But really we are not early adopters in the UK. The cars were built later, right hand drive and continue to go without the same quality checks from what 16 years ago? By that point you would have thought they would be able to see obvious defects. I think the case for stop what we are doing for a second do you realise we are passing on all these issues to the consumer not to mention our quality, devaluation and reputation. This is why I challenge Tesla to provide me with a car that is checked without part removing defects if this is even possible. Not be put in the situation where I turn up for a very expensive purchase, given a coffee and then taken out to a car with defects being told it will all be alright. I have a very dim view of any company treating people like I am reading here today this is an eye opener for sure. I hope its a good conclusion next week and I get a call back again. I hope for everyone here that Tesla at the expense of delivery dates prioritise their build quality.

Tesla should have a pre delivery inspection process like other auto manufacturers do. And they should sufficiently staff their company so that people can answer their phones and respond to emails and voicemails.

But at the current volume they are producing and the margins they maintain the company has lost billions of dollars getting to where they are. If they keep adding overhead to fix these problems they may never make it. So they have to stay very lean in areas that other companies have more fat. It’s not ideal, but it’s just the way it is.

For those of us who have owned a Tesla for a while now, we have learned to accept the compromises associated with Tesla ownership. You are not going to get the hand holding and high level of customer service that other auto manufacturers and dealers can provide. You are going to get the best car you can buy though. And it’s so far ahead of anyone else in the EV space that it’s not even a close call to go with second best (whoever that may even be).

Tesla staff is pretty much incompetent. Their internal systems don’t work. They don’t communicate well to their employees nor their customers. The staff provides bad information to customers in virtually every interaction they have. They are not doing it intentionally. They are just incompetent.

Tesla ownership is not for everyone. You have to go into the purchase understanding the pros and cons.

Tesla should have a pre delivery inspection process like other auto manufacturers do. And they should sufficiently staff their company so that people can answer their phones and respond to emails and voicemails.

But at the current volume they are producing and the margins they maintain the company has lost billions of dollars getting to where they are. If they keep adding overhead to fix these problems they may never make it. So they have to stay very lean in areas that other companies have more fat. It’s not ideal, but it’s just the way it is.

For those of us who have owned a Tesla for a while now, we have learned to accept the compromises associated with Tesla ownership. You are not going to get the hand holding and high level of customer service that other auto manufacturers and dealers can provide. You are going to get the best car you can buy though. And it’s so far ahead of anyone else in the EV space that it’s not even a close call to go with second best (whoever that may even be).

Tesla staff is pretty much incompetent. Their internal systems don’t work. They don’t communicate well to their employees nor their customers. The staff provides bad information to customers in virtually every interaction they have. They are not doing it intentionally. They are just incompetent.

Tesla ownership is not for everyone. You have to go into the purchase understanding the pros and cons.
Spot on. Buyers who aren’t on this forum are in for some nasty surprises, though.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas!

Just an update I was not called back by the Manager at Milton Keynes after he said he would on the 20th. So I called the number back on the 24th and he was not in the office until after the holidays. So even thought the manager of the other office in the same area was very sympathetic and had no idea what was going on from my notes as you can see this trend continues. I will update if I get any progress I guess next year.

0% BIK in April is going to be **brutal**.

Yes as consumer rights and company cars make it even more complicated.

Spot on. Buyers who aren’t on this forum are in for some nasty surprises, though.

yes even those of us that were prepared weren’t expecting to be deceived during the process of delivery.

Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas!

Just an update I was not called back by the Manager at Milton Keynes after he said he would on the 20th. So I called the number back on the 24th and he was not in the office until after the holidays. So even thought the manager of the other office in the same area was very sympathetic and had no idea what was going on from my notes as you can see this trend continues. I will update if I get any progress I guess next year.

Merry Christmas!

I’ve still yet to receive a call from my initial complaints on pickup in September but I have been escalating this since the parts being on order for 2 months.

The best companies in the world know the value of customer service and this will cost Tesla in the long run.

I will have to get a video and some article up about my problems in the new year too!

Sorry to hear of all the issues people are having with there new tesla cars, I have 2 a model S also. my M3 was driven straight from hand over to a car detailer who was going to give it a ceramic coating and complete inspection to paint and body fitment.
3 days it was there as this guy is one of the best detailers and fussy guys I have ever met. he specializes in high end cars from maclarens to lambo,s and Rolls Royce and many others. his attention to detail is amazing. even to have the car washed by him costs 50

When he finished my car his comments were it had one of the best paint jobs he had ever seen on a new car, paint depth was very even and the clear coat was immaculate, no panels miss aligned either. I have no mist in the lights and no faults either, no squeaks, no wind noise I have herd at any speed.

My M3 has been a great experience from the word go, and shows tesla can build a car if they want to. I guess like all things we don't know who actually built the car by name, but I would imagine like all manufactures there are plenty of Friday afternoon cars. maybe by less experienced personnel on the production line, who knows! even trainee's of said production lines.

I feel sorry for those who have had a bad experience with there new car, and make no excuses for tesla support or service departments as they should treat existing customers with new cars as high priority as its those customers who champion tesla to those who might consider an EV as there next car. With mine even the latest software update went without a hitch, voice commands work fine. I always reboot after every update before I start playing with any settings from updates. but have to say so far the M3 has been fantastic.

I think what stands out from this thread is not to let your heart rule your head, if you have issues from hand over then reject the car. if more were to do this tesla would have to put more effort into making sure all the cars were pre inspected thoroughly to avoid rejection on hand over. Its not easy to reject something you have been waiting for a long time and like what has been said here not many read forums to get the heads up to do so.

I hope all your cars get sorted quickly, but reading this tesla has to step up or lose out in the long run.

Just come back from a long trip away for Christmas. New problems that seem to have occurred are loud clunking noises coming from somewhere under the car when travelling at low speed, not necessarily on bad roads and both rear lights severely misted up after driving for a bit over 4 hours in light rain (the car had been garaged overnight before we set out). The car's also developed an intermittent creak from the nearside rear door. Might have something to do with the fact that, until this past week that door has probably only been opened and closed a couple of times since I picked the car up.

Not sure how best to get these dealt with, TBH. I have a service centre appointment booked in for 20th January, but it's not clear how you can add new problems to an existing report. I've had no luck in getting any response to the service centre email, so perhaps best to ring them, I think.

Out of interest, has anyone found a definitive cause for loud clunking noises coming from under the car somewhere? The sound seemed to me as if it was coming from parts of the suspension making contact with something, somehow.

I'd really like to try and compile a known to be true set of fixes for the commonly reported problems, if only to ensure that the service centre apply fixes that are known to work, as I don't want to waste more time driving hours to get things put right.

Last edited:
Not sure how best to get these dealt with, TBH. I have a service centre appointment booked in for 20th January, but it's not clear how you can add new problems to an existing report. I've had no luck in getting any response to the service centre email, so perhaps best to ring them, I think.

In the App you can edit the description of your problem and add new things, not sure if they will actually recheck it though!

• Informative
Reactions: Glan gluaisne
After one hell of a terrible experience with an Eniro 64kw new car failing me on a trip to france I dodged a bullet and rejected it. Long and agonising story short the car can go into a mode where it will not charge anywhere without alerting the user there is a problem and you can imagine several chargers down the road you run out with no way of charging up and a disaster of a recovery process.

Joy to the world the Model 3 is available in the UK now and so I decide to trust in the brand and order a model 3.

I hired a car to drive down end of Sept to Heathrow on pickup day. For some reason I ended up with a toe hitch SR+ rather than just my order of black SR+.

I get taken out the the car (have it all on video) There is white writing on the front screen like a second hand car lot. Rear door misaligned. Scratches front and back in the paint, paint defects, misaligned boot seal, side pillars covered in sticky glue misting them all up. I say to one of the Tesla staff is there any way I could take one of the cars over there they look in much better condition. Nope sorry cant do that take it or leave it but we will fix the problems quickly. As I am talking to my partner about this being unbelievable I am reminded by the guy are you ready to go. In the end we trusted the guy and thought ok a ranger will come out and sort these issues as stated.

As soon as we hit the motorway at 45mph there was a loud whistling noise, wow how annoying it is every time I go on a slower than motorway road to hear this above my head. Took the car to a large carpark to go eat and the left rear sensors had this large bubble sticking out not representing the parking space at all. I get the car home and realise while parking in the drive that the rear sensors were doing the same thing. Out of shape compared to the distances of the other sides.

I booked a service appointment with screenshots of the above mentioned it was a month away. I also added that all my rear lights had misted up. A week later my appointment was canceled because my sensors were driver error. I rebooked my appointment and it was a month ahead again. Lovely waste of time... A couple of days before this appointment I am emailed to see if I could send some photos in of the problems. I already uploaded them via the app but sent them in via email. I drove for 2 hours to milton keynes service center parked up and went through all the things with the service engineer. He circled the paint defects with a pen on the body. I pointed out the noise, defects in the paint, boot missing paint areas inside, tail lights, boot seal, miss aligned door etc. I was never offered a courtesy car and so I was offered an uber voucher to go into town to make myself busy for 4+ hours. I laughed inside and decided to walk and came back after that time. The only things that could be done were the door and the boot seal. Apparently the car needed to go to an approved paint shop and the other things could be done by a ranger. So why the hell couldn't they have told me or organised that before I arrived to do it all at once? What a waste of time.... didn't even remove the pen marks after.

I go home troubled by the poor organisation so far and book the car back in via the app. A few weeks later I am told a ranger will come out. Please could I again send in the pictures of the problem even though I had done via the app. Pictures went in of all 4 lights misted up bad and a ranger is set to visit. Ranger arrives on the date and tells me the lights he is about to fit probably wont fix the issues and he only has 2 of them not 4. I just say do what you have to do and so he replaces both inner lights. So I take the ranger out down the dual carriageway set autopilot to 45mph and the loud whistle noise starts and he confirms it, go back tape the front to which we also spot a nasty flat spot at the top of my front windscreen and also the edge of the middle one. He tapes the front up with blue tape and we go out again. The noise doesn't stop so he says he will report it back and will book an appointment. I then asked him so you will book another appointment? The reply was yes. He went off and I plugged in and noticed then one of the lights was chipped at the top. There was also glue spilt on my new boot mat inside the car for some reason? I also find new paint defects on the side rail of the car that is stuff again under the paintwork.

So after buying a new car supposedly it now has to have the top ripped off to put in new glass?

Was an appointment booked days later no... I did it for an appointment in 2 months sometime if February myself, what great service!

I sent Tesla an email to complain about this and after 2 weeks no answer. I have called and waited on the phone to be told I will get a call back that afternoon 3 times and did not. Sometimes people even hang up on you when you try to ask for someone who can take action a replacement car or start the rejection process. I have now been told to write another email with bullet points because the one of file is too detailed! So they can most likely reject the car.

What an experience so far Tesla and the 1000,s of people that watch me live on YouTube every day are now listening to this experience as it still unfolds and are in shock. I was very patient for 2 months but people should beware. Tesla You do 0 factory checks, allow customers to turn up without even notifying them their new car has obvious defects for the factory to pressure them out of the door with no care or attention. Its a car sale and after support disgrace. You are knowing inviting your buyers into repeated visits to fix their cars just to meet sales targets. My car is riddled with manufacturing defects what a day one experience!

For a laugh have a look how my Eniro was recovered from france by the RAC and KIA, is there a decent car manufacturer about these days?:

Mine had a few minor issues at collection but I didn’t even log them, I knew within a few weeks it would be kerbed, eaten in, car park dinged, muddy all over etc. I love cars, but like anything, it’s easy to get bogged down in the crazy minutiae of things. Take a fine tooth comb to any new car and you’ll find defects, and like any snagging process, they’ll cure one and create a completely new one in the process. For me, it’s a matter of my own good mood, suffer a few imperfections but love the car and the joy it brings, don’t sweat the small stuff as in the end, it’s only you that loses anything.

Reactions: Jez_GB and rotor2k
Update: Never got any call back since the 20th of December. So taking more time off work to sort out. 3 calls hung up on transfer to manager and the 4th very helpful but they are now in meetings ( all of them ). Tesla do not record their phone calls I found out. They also do not know what a SAR request is for your data and recording requests. In fact it seems data protection basics are missing if they push you down the road of never calling back to require this. I now need to speak to Anton Baboglo a Regional Service manager which I had to mine out of someone there, it seems going up the chain is the only way I might not spend another 3 months on this. Basically the manager that called me on the 20th was not even from my local centre despite having all the info. So there was never any intent to deal with my requests in the first place it seems unless the call centre know more about the organisation than the managers do. Not very organised here and this looks like its coming to a rejection ending with Tesla unable to provide me with a car without faults. What a crazy time this is to be a Tesla owner seriously. Now the cost of lost productivity and waste of time taking days off to drive to a service centre / call and call just wiped out the savings of driving an EV in the first place all because of no quality checks. LOL