Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My ongoing Model 3 troubles since day one!

Anyone else getting this treatment?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the risk of stating the obvious the painful delivery experience many are experiencing is clearly volume related. I picked up an M3 in Birmingham on a Saturday in Mid November. Only 2 deliveries that day. Car was fully charged and I was given as long as i wanted to look at the car before signing anything. zero pressure. Place was deserted. I think the staff were glad to have the company :)
West Drayton are clearly being put under extreme month end pressure and the dodgy tactics they are employing to get you out of the door quickly is their coping mechanism. Not saying this is a valid excuse or reasonable but at present it seems to be a fact. So for anyone choosing a delivery location right now if you are located somewhere where you could reasonably head North or South I think North would probably be a better bet.

Reactions: Jez_GB and Roy W.
After one hell of a terrible experience with an Eniro 64kw new car failing me on a trip to france I dodged a bullet and rejected it. Long and agonising story short the car can go into a mode where it will not charge anywhere without alerting the user there is a problem and you can imagine several chargers down the road you run out with no way of charging up and a disaster of a recovery process.

Joy to the world the Model 3 is available in the UK now and so I decide to trust in the brand and order a model 3.

I hired a car to drive down end of Sept to Heathrow on pickup day. For some reason I ended up with a toe hitch SR+ rather than just my order of black SR+.

I get taken out the the car (have it all on video) There is white writing on the front screen like a second hand car lot. Rear door misaligned. Scratches front and back in the paint, paint defects, misaligned boot seal, side pillars covered in sticky glue misting them all up. I say to one of the Tesla staff is there any way I could take one of the cars over there they look in much better condition. Nope sorry cant do that take it or leave it but we will fix the problems quickly. As I am talking to my partner about this being unbelievable I am reminded by the guy are you ready to go. In the end we trusted the guy and thought ok a ranger will come out and sort these issues as stated.

As soon as we hit the motorway at 45mph there was a loud whistling noise, wow how annoying it is every time I go on a slower than motorway road to hear this above my head. Took the car to a large carpark to go eat and the left rear sensors had this large bubble sticking out not representing the parking space at all. I get the car home and realise while parking in the drive that the rear sensors were doing the same thing. Out of shape compared to the distances of the other sides.

I booked a service appointment with screenshots of the above mentioned it was a month away. I also added that all my rear lights had misted up. A week later my appointment was canceled because my sensors were driver error. I rebooked my appointment and it was a month ahead again. Lovely waste of time... A couple of days before this appointment I am emailed to see if I could send some photos in of the problems. I already uploaded them via the app but sent them in via email. I drove for 2 hours to milton keynes service center parked up and went through all the things with the service engineer. He circled the paint defects with a pen on the body. I pointed out the noise, defects in the paint, boot missing paint areas inside, tail lights, boot seal, miss aligned door etc. I was never offered a courtesy car and so I was offered an uber voucher to go into town to make myself busy for 4+ hours. I laughed inside and decided to walk and came back after that time. The only things that could be done were the door and the boot seal. Apparently the car needed to go to an approved paint shop and the other things could be done by a ranger. So why the hell couldn't they have told me or organised that before I arrived to do it all at once? What a waste of time.... didn't even remove the pen marks after.

I go home troubled by the poor organisation so far and book the car back in via the app. A few weeks later I am told a ranger will come out. Please could I again send in the pictures of the problem even though I had done via the app. Pictures went in of all 4 lights misted up bad and a ranger is set to visit. Ranger arrives on the date and tells me the lights he is about to fit probably wont fix the issues and he only has 2 of them not 4. I just say do what you have to do and so he replaces both inner lights. So I take the ranger out down the dual carriageway set autopilot to 45mph and the loud whistle noise starts and he confirms it, go back tape the front to which we also spot a nasty flat spot at the top of my front windscreen and also the edge of the middle one. He tapes the front up with blue tape and we go out again. The noise doesn't stop so he says he will report it back and will book an appointment. I then asked him so you will book another appointment? The reply was yes. He went off and I plugged in and noticed then one of the lights was chipped at the top. There was also glue spilt on my new boot mat inside the car for some reason? I also find new paint defects on the side rail of the car that is stuff again under the paintwork.

So after buying a new car supposedly it now has to have the top ripped off to put in new glass?

Was an appointment booked days later no... I did it for an appointment in 2 months sometime if February myself, what great service!

I sent Tesla an email to complain about this and after 2 weeks no answer. I have called and waited on the phone to be told I will get a call back that afternoon 3 times and did not. Sometimes people even hang up on you when you try to ask for someone who can take action a replacement car or start the rejection process. I have now been told to write another email with bullet points because the one of file is too detailed! So they can most likely reject the car.

What an experience so far Tesla and the 1000,s of people that watch me live on YouTube every day are now listening to this experience as it still unfolds and are in shock. I was very patient for 2 months but people should beware. Tesla You do 0 factory checks, allow customers to turn up without even notifying them their new car has obvious defects for the factory to pressure them out of the door with no care or attention. Its a car sale and after support disgrace. You are knowing inviting your buyers into repeated visits to fix their cars just to meet sales targets. My car is riddled with manufacturing defects what a day one experience!

For a laugh have a look how my Eniro was recovered from france by the RAC and KIA, is there a decent car manufacturer about these days?:

CertLive sorry to hear that you have had a horrendous experience. I can certainly relate to the paint defects. Mine is blue and absolutely riddled. The paint is terribly thin in places and i'm dreading stone impacts and how it will fair after me doing my weekly wash months or years down the line. Yes I am a bit OCD like that : S

I had a few issues with my rear PDC's and it transpired that they were incorrectly installed so weren't sat flush causing them to give erratic readings. Thankfully this did get resolved 3 months after taking delivery of my M3. I have to say I do love the car but am anxious that god forbid something goes wrong and I have to contact aftersales again!

Got called back fairly quick after the complaint today 10 mins ago and I have been told I will get called back this afternoon with what can be done. See how it pans out.

Any luck?

If I was you I would aim for a replacement car or give them a deadline to fix the issues before you seek to reject/legal

West Drayton are clearly being put under extreme month end pressure and the dodgy tactics they are employing to get you out of the door quickly is their coping mechanism. Not saying this is a valid excuse or reasonable but at present it seems to be a fact. So for anyone choosing a delivery location right now if you are located somewhere where you could reasonably head North or South I think North would probably be a better bet.

They don't hire extra staff for the end of quarter deliveries so they take everyone off their jobs to help probably because they want to save money especially when there are no deliveries going on, it makes financial sense to them but at the expense of the delivery experience for the customer. I certainly blame the higher up management rather than the front line staff as its got to the stage where I have to question whether I should recommend the cars.

Last edited:
Sadly its bad news. All my issues from pickup and the added issues after the fact are classed as cosmetic by management. Tesla are unable to produce me with a good replacement. Challenge failed and the rejection process has started. Lets hope in the future they start inspecting cars in the future and hiring responsible people on customer service and especially at the point of sale to not let customers take cars home with expectations of a quick fix. Do not take your tesla home if it has any pickup defects you will be in for a rough ride!

There are no electric cost savings when you have to spend considerable time trying to chase and put things right this is reality for me and others. It makes me wonder why self driving is not working yet.... probably because a lot of people will be sending their cars back via the app with a refund note on the front seat.

EAC40F91-F7D4-43F5-8FE6-CA9FA084BD99.jpeg I was scheduled to pick up last week, the night before I got a call to advise that the car had an error message that they discovered while detailing. They were going to run some tests in hope that it was firmware. The next day I showed up for collection and there was no handover due to the error message ‘Front motor temporary disabled’ I decided that I was going to check the car anyways while there. The front bumper had a grey shadow of primer coming through the pearl white paint plus chips of paint peeling where the bumper meets the front wings. I found a pin dent on the drivers wing, more thin paint (grey shadowing) and there’s a circle shape under the clear coat. Inside the seats were finished poorly with wrinkles on the leather. Alignment on the rear bumper was slightly off and the passenger side front and rear doors gap in the middle looked off. These were noted at the time.

I’ve now been informed that the front drive train needs to be replaced. I can’t believe the issues with a brand new car. I’ve been given a loaner and new parts have been ordered for the front motor. They hope to have them in a week. I guess they will as no sign off has been done.

Hopefully they can fix these issues now while the car is in service or I’ll be asking for a replacement car.

Attachments

• 47AAFB09-0737-4BF1-A77F-102286E26CB0.jpeg
    47AAFB09-0737-4BF1-A77F-102286E26CB0.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 7614E54A-5C15-47BD-8C84-94ED532011C1.jpeg
    7614E54A-5C15-47BD-8C84-94ED532011C1.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 5E439AE0-DF22-4A35-BC3B-F81E32D5ACDA.jpeg
    5E439AE0-DF22-4A35-BC3B-F81E32D5ACDA.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 62
  • B89157B6-FFD9-421B-91B3-742A220C30EB.jpeg
    B89157B6-FFD9-421B-91B3-742A220C30EB.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 55
  • D72C6D40-274B-4383-AD0B-9498DC9D266E.jpeg
    D72C6D40-274B-4383-AD0B-9498DC9D266E.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 50
View attachment 505248 I was scheduled to pick up last week, the night before I got a call to advise that the car had an error message that they discovered while detailing. They were going to run some tests in hope that it was firmware. The next day I showed up for collection and there was no handover due to the error message ‘Front motor temporary disabled’ I decided that I was going to check the car anyways while there. The front bumper had a grey shadow of primer coming through the pearl white paint plus chips of paint peeling where the bumper meets the front wings. I found a pin dent on the drivers wing, more thin paint (grey shadowing) and there’s a circle shape under the clear coat. Inside the seats were finished poorly with wrinkles on the leather. Alignment on the rear bumper was slightly off and the passenger side front and rear doors gap in the middle looked off. These were noted at the time.

I’ve now been informed that the front drive train needs to be replaced. I can’t believe the issues with a brand new car. I’ve been given a loaner and new parts have been ordered for the front motor. They hope to have them in a week. I guess they will as no sign off has been done.

Hopefully they can fix these issues now while the car is in service or I’ll be asking for a replacement car.

Aye its kinda heart breaking and I feel for you. Tesla should find you another car. With my first buy from them I would reject that and get another its a lot less hassle than having to get it looked at multiple times later trust me.

Reactions: Rooster6655
View attachment 505248 I was scheduled to pick up last week, the night before I got a call to advise that the car had an error message that they discovered while detailing. They were going to run some tests in hope that it was firmware. The next day I showed up for collection and there was no handover due to the error message ‘Front motor temporary disabled’ I decided that I was going to check the car anyways while there. The front bumper had a grey shadow of primer coming through the pearl white paint plus chips of paint peeling where the bumper meets the front wings. I found a pin dent on the drivers wing, more thin paint (grey shadowing) and there’s a circle shape under the clear coat. Inside the seats were finished poorly with wrinkles on the leather. Alignment on the rear bumper was slightly off and the passenger side front and rear doors gap in the middle looked off. These were noted at the time.

Decline that vehicle and request a brand new replacement that operates as a new car should upon delivery, and has no other functional or cosmetic flaws.

Agree with the others, decline the car ASAP ask for a refund if necessary and put another order in.

They will mess you around and keep you waiting for months, I only managed to get my issues sorted after some luck and a lot of headaches close to 5 months for just a paint issue, so in your case REJECT IT as you seriously have no hope it getting it resolved fully in a time that you will be happy with.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBadger
I’m amazed to hear of the thin paint stories. Tesla must use robots to spray the paint. They ought to be providing an identical paint job on every car. With so fee colours, they probably don’t even have to change colours - separate lines for each colour.

I’m amazed to hear of the thin paint stories. Tesla must use robots to spray the paint. They ought to be providing an identical paint job on every car. With so fee colours, they probably don’t even have to change colours - separate lines for each colour.
I'm sure SOME of their paint booths are robotic. The ones INSIDE the factory. But did they set up additional ones to serve the "Tent" and could they be old school manual ones? no one knows.

Thanks for the replies. As the car is in service and delivery isn’t scheduled yet or been attempted I’ll hold off on rejection until I see what is put in front of me in a week or so. 100% I won’t be keeping the car with the current issues.

I hadn't read this thread before. Crikey Mo, it has scared the life out of me. I think my car is on the ship heading to Zeebrugge and my collection is at West Drayton, I shall be taking my wife and son and I know we will all be disappointed and itll but a huge strain on us if we have to reject the car ( I shall have to hire a car until I get offered a new car, that could also have faults). Oh dear!

I hadn't read this thread before. Crikey Mo, it has scared the life out of me. I think my car is on the ship heading to Zeebrugge and my collection is at West Drayton, I shall be taking my wife and son and I know we will all be disappointed and itll but a huge strain on us if we have to reject the car ( I shall have to hire a car until I get offered a new car, that could also have faults). Oh dear!
Don’t worry about it until it happens!

Most of us in here are driving around in our new Model 3s and are over the moon with them.

The good news is you found these forums before your car arrives. I did not and all I can advise is you get one of the check lists people recommend around here. Check over your car and I hope you are one of the lucky ones that drives off with a smile as it should be. If not stand your ground, don't let them waste your hard earned time. Anything substantial reject it and get them to find you a car worthy of its reputation. I know it sounds like I am playing hardball but this should all be done by someone before delivery. Take your time.

I have just in the last 5 minutes had a text saying that Bristol SC can now do collections and would I like to change my location, as Bristol is only 40 miles and West Drayton is 130 miles I said YES. Keeping fingers crossed its a better experience than you have had.

Lots of other brands deliver new cars to dealers that have faults. The difference between them and Tesla is mainly in two areas. Firstly, because Tesla customers buy direct they have a lot more information about their car (like the VIN) before it arrives. Secondly, Tesla PDI seems to be nearly non-existent.

I suspect that remedial work is done on a fair few new cars before delivery, it's just that the majority of new car buyers know nothing about it, as the car will be inspected, fixed, or replaced with an identical one, before they get to pick it up.

With Tesla things are different. Customers would probably know in advance if their car was swapped for another one, because of the information they receive from Tesla. Tesla is still a pretty small company, in terms of sales numbers here, so doesn't have as much freedom to just swap out a really duff car for another identical one before delivery. Tesla's near-non-existent PDI process means that a lot more minor cosmetic issues don't get spotted and rectified before delivery.

The latter point seems crazy to me, as quite apart from the frustration and inconvenience it causes customers, I'm sure it probably costs Tesla more to fix these issues after delivery.

If Tesla just implemented a proper PDI process, with rectification of any defects prior to delivery, then I think that most of the reports we get here about defects would go away. Doing this would significantly improve their brand image, I'm sure. Right now I love the car, but the little niggles do spoil things. Would I buy another Tesla? TBH I don't know. Maybe not, as some of the frustrations, from the hassle involved in the process of actually buying the car, through to the way it is just so time consuming and frustrating trying to get things fixed, really take the edge of the whole purchase experience.

If I compare buying the Model 3 with buying the last few Toyota's I've owned, then frankly the Tesla experience is just dire. The excellence of the car itself does make up for some of that, but not all of it, and if anything some of the outstanding features about the car just tend to highlight the failings within Tesla as a company all the more.

Last edited:

Your car will be good. This isn't everyone's experience thankfully. My paint had no flaws that I could see. Maybe a professional detailer might find something but I've been over every inch of the car whilst washing it by hand and there are absolutely no issues. Clearly people who have no paint problems, or fit and finish problems, are not on forums telling you about it!

Reactions: OfficialMark_H
Your car will be good. This isn't everyone's experience thankfully. My paint had no flaws that I could see. Maybe a professional detailer might find something but I've been over every inch of the car whilst washing it by hand and there are absolutely no issues. Clearly people who have no paint problems, or fit and finish problems, are not on forums telling you about it!
I think paint defects are the least of @KennyCork concerns. Front drive motor having to be replaced is another matter altogether.