Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My open letter to the Chevy Bolt, from a Tesla fan.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Typical, 'I can't discuss without being derogatory'.

Taste is subjective, which we all know. I greatly appreciate a minimalist approach. I like super clean lines. No! I heart super clean lines. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Not my fault, I have my parent's genes and had no say over the combination. So yes, I'm totally digging no knobs, buttons, do-dads etc... I don't even use most of them in my current vehicle. I'm a typical minimalist zealot; you must be a typical 'hurray for clutter' zealot. Good thing we both have a choice in the EV we want to drive. We'll get together later and compare performance, charging, and AP.

Zealot: a person who has very strong feelings about something and who wants other people to have those feelings

Derogatory if that's what your take is!

Minimalist? That interior makes a prison cell look luxurious! Of course I know it's not the final, but people here have claimed the prototype Model 3's we've seen are nearly production ready, so I really doubt the basic design of dash will radically change.

guys, we should be welcoming all "players" to the EV manufacturing game.
things shouldn't devolve into a pissing contest! the more ev's being made by many different manufacturers the more innovations we'll see, the more price competition we'll see and the diminishing reliance of ICE cars we'll see.
I say we should welcome the Bolt with open arms and appreciate the car as being another choice for a car of the future for the masses.

Indeed. Lots of folks getting defensive here. The Bolt is, objectively, a fairly large step forward in the EV game. It's a model with range well over 200 miles, a reasonable cost that significantly undercuts the only serious long-range EV that's been available thus far, and will be available in at least modest quantities this year. Those are all wins. If GM backs it with actual advertising and significant availability (which their press/web tour this week suggests they may), it helps raise the tide. And you all know the saying about rising tides...

The Bolt is getting genuinely positive early reviews, and looks like a genuinely decent option. It will do at least modest good toward educating the public on EVs and reducing range anxiety.

Is it a Tesla? Will it out-accelerate the Model 3? Does it look as sexy as a Model 3? Does it have the same long-distance capability as the Model 3? Will it have the same autonomous-drive features as the Model 3?

No to all.

Did it get produced solely or largely due to Tesla's success and influence? Will its servicing experience be cheaper and likely smoother than Tesla's? Will it bring additional folks into the EV market that previously hadn't taken a look? Will it be available at least many months before the Model 3, and more likely about a year before the Model 3?

Yes to all.

Competition is good. That's true when it's Tesla bringing to life the EV category to compete with existing manufacturers as well as when GM beats Tesla to market with an affordable-ish long-range EV.

I am a morning-of-3/31 Model 3 reservation holder, and I will not be jumping ship (at least not unless the Model 3 production model is revealed and it sucks majorly ;)). Of course the Bolt isn't some magical Model 3 killer, and of course the Model 3 will trounce it in many areas. But I can see the positives brought on by the Bolt, and they are legion.

Stop throwing shade on the Bolt and instead consider tossing some kudos to GM for bringing a serious competitor to the table.

I don't think Tesla has a good idea the division their customers fall over, because Bolt is the first long range entree. Are they in it for the range, or the Autopilot? Are they more interested in a conventional cockpit? Is it about company virtue, style? We'll have these answers soon. Some are going to go Bolt.

Interesting point. I would assume prospective customers will make a list of Pros / Cons. When they get to AP and say "Too expensive, ignore it" they have another option "Too expensive, but I could buy it later" which enables that data-point to be in favour of Tesla.

5.5s 0-60 is quick, even for folk that aren't interested it probably has a value (e.g. to be able to more safely pass another vehicle)

More space (although perhaps "Too big")

Longer range (I'm assuming - M3 should have both better aerodynamics and, by then, greater efficiency of components for same-price, but it might not). If the Bolt-equivalent range Tesla model has a software limited battery then the "OTA range upgrade" is another data-point in favour of Tesla even if the initial range is identical.

So even if Range is identical and prospective owner doesn't think they want / can afford Autopilot, both those could still stack up better on paper for Tesla.

Crash Test rating will be interesting. If all the AEB / blind-spot intrusion detection etc. stuff comes as standard on M3 the on-paper list is going to be hard to favour Bolt, unless Bolt has them too.

I see Style, screen, cockpit and steering wheel choices as being each-to-their-own .

Now ... if the Bolt had Usain Mode that would be cool!!

It's great to see that GM gave the Bolt a generously-sized battery pack, and I hope the Bolt does well.

Besides the lack of Supercharger access, my biggest complaint about the Bolt is that it's even smaller than our LEAF. GM should have put that 60+ kWh pack in a larger, more aerodynamic vehicle.

Also, even if the EPA range on the M3 ends up at "only" 215 miles, the more aerodynamic M3 may still beat the Bolt on range at 70+ mph, which is more relevant for most people driving long distances.

While I appreciate the OP's passion my fear is this thread will ultimately turn into a flamefest. All indications from what I've read so far is it is already heading in that direction. All I ask is that all posters here please remain civil and respect others opinions.

Posts like the OP's (completely biased GM/Bolt bashing) can only result in flamefests.

I truly think the Tesla zealots (you know who you are) feel threatened by the Bolt. It's not some scribble on a piece of paper that may happen someday...it is almost on top of us right now.

Ever since Tesla became a company, it has pretty much been unchallenged in the EV universe. The Roadster, Model S, Model X....there has pretty much been 0 competition from the traditional automakers to challenge those vehicles.

Sure, the Leaf and Volt came out before the Model S, but they could not touch the range offered by the S. Same with the Model X. Despite the FWD woes, it still stands alone as far as BEV SUV offerings.

But the Bolt changes everything. Now you have a traditional automaker that has actually beat Tesla to the market...in this case, the <$40k, 200 mile EV. And from all accounts, it is not some pure compliance play, it is actually a compelling vehicle that the masses may accept.

For once, Tesla is now the chaser, instead of being chased. And some of you guys on here don't seem to like that one bit.

Ladies...gentlemen... I posted that just to share it. There's no question in my bias, I clearly titled the write-up with the phrase "from a Tesla fan." It clearly is meant to express my harsh feelings on the Bolt. This was born from a Google search where every article from every angle was comparing and attacking the Model 3. Google "Tesla Model 3" right now and see for yourself.

I stand by my words. Literally the entire forum could disagree and it wouldn't change my day. It was and is simply MY opinion and my opinion only. I didn't end it with a "who's with me!?" or try to engage some Spartacus movement for support. I'm a passionate person and thought maybe some people would get a few kicks from it.

I come from a heavy background in the automotive industry, especially when it comes to aesthetics, which is what drives my strong opinion.

I'm thoroughly enjoying reading the opinions, feedback, etc. We can very much keep this civil as someone mentioned above. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, their thoughts, their logic, and to be themselves. I would never be upset or fire back if you called me an idiot, because I respect everyone's opinion and that may be yours.

I'm a Tesla owner and a big Tesla fan... but I've also had very positive experiences with my GM products in the past. I for one very much like what I've seen of the Bolt. I would probably lean more towards the Bolt than the Model 3. Here's why: I don't like small sedans. I find them to be very impractical especially when it comes to cargo capacity. Thinking back, every small car I've ever owned has been a hatchback, and I prefer that on smaller cars.

I personally think Tesla should have come out with the Model Y (assumed small crossover based on the Model 3) first as I believe that is where the market is now. Then come out with the sedan.

I don't mind the looks of the Bolt. It seems fairly practical. I'm not going to buy one though. There's no fast charging network in this part of the country.

I postulate that Tesla, in order to monetize their Supercharger network, is going to come out with a Supercharger to CCS/CHAdeMO adapter to allow other cars to use the system. They've long said they want this to happen, and could (probably) simply sell an adapter that will cost or charge the user similar to how they plan to charge Model 3 owners for access.

guys, we should be welcoming all "players" to the EV manufacturing game.
things shouldn't devolve into a pissing contest! the more ev's being made by many different manufacturers the more innovations we'll see, the more price competition we'll see and the diminishing reliance of ICE cars we'll see.
I say we should welcome the Bolt with open arms and appreciate the car as being another choice for a car of the future for the masses.

Exactly!

Reactions: Jaff
Zealot: a person who has very strong feelings about something and who wants other people to have those feelings

Derogatory if that's what your take is!

It's clearly a negative labelling and you didn't have to say it to make your point. Intent matters.

Minimalist? That interior makes a prison cell look luxurious! Of course I know it's not the final, but people here have claimed the prototype Model 3's we've seen are nearly production ready, so I really doubt the basic design of dash will radically change.

I'm not doubting the design of the interior won't be radically changed. As I said earlier, I'm down with it. If Tesla would just get rid of the steering wheel, I'd die a happy camper.

I spend a lot of time in areas that are not near Tesla service centers and I can see a key benefit to the Bolt over a Model 3. There are GM service centers everywhere. When you talk about a mass market EV, having easy access to the service centers is a big deal for the average non-Tesla fan who is interested in an EV.

Yeah, the Bolt isn't as "sexy", but practicality trumps sexiness in mass market small cars. If you're someone in a smaller town in a state that doesn't even have a Tesla service center, and your local Chevy dealer is 5 miles away, there's a lot of reason to buy a Bolt if you're looking to switch to an EV.

Reactions: AndY1 and scottf200
I stand by my words. Literally the entire forum could disagree and it wouldn't change my day. It was and is simply MY opinion and my opinion only. I didn't end it with a "who's with me!?" or try to engage some Spartacus movement for support. s.

Lol
If that were true you wouldn't have posted...much less posted anonymously.