Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My open letter to the Chevy Bolt, from a Tesla fan.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ladies...gentlemen... I posted that just to share it. There's no question in my bias, I clearly titled the write-up with the phrase "from a Tesla fan." It clearly is meant to express my harsh feelings on the Bolt. This was born from a Google search where every article from every angle was comparing and attacking the Model 3. Google "Tesla Model 3" right now and see for yourself.

I stand by my words. Literally the entire forum could disagree and it wouldn't change my day. It was and is simply MY opinion and my opinion only. I didn't end it with a "who's with me!?" or try to engage some Spartacus movement for support. I'm a passionate person and thought maybe some people would get a few kicks from it.

I come from a heavy background in the automotive industry, especially when it comes to aesthetics, which is what drives my strong opinion.

I'm thoroughly enjoying reading the opinions, feedback, etc. We can very much keep this civil as someone mentioned above. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, their thoughts, their logic, and to be themselves. I would never be upset or fire back if you called me an idiot, because I respect everyone's opinion and that may be yours.
ArtCenter?
Robin

I truly think the Tesla zealots (you know who you are) feel threatened by the Bolt... For once, Tesla is now the chaser, instead of being chased. And some of you guys on here don't seem to like that one bit.

I like your post but I'll have to disagree with you on the statements quoted above. I'm pissed off at GM for coming up with a $37k product that looks more like it's worth $18k, and they dare to compare it with the Model 3 (which btw costs less than that tiffin box). If GM were my only choice I'd still take the Volt over the Bolt just for looks and long range alone.

If, however, GM came up with a supercharging network plus a more compelling sexy looking car, then I would have been quite excited. But that's not the case here. Nor is Tesla the chaser. The long lines during the 3/31 Model 3 reservation event are a testament to that.

On a positive note, it's good to see other players get on the EV bandwagon with a bit more seriousness.

I think it's fabulous that other car manufacturers are starting to take EVs a bit more seriously. With that said, the Bolt is definitely not for me.

The media is touting the Bolt's excellent range -- and it is excellent, in of itself -- but the problem is that the range is effectively pointless without an equivalent supercharger network. Not just the network itself, mind you, but also the speed at which it will charge your car. Tesla's Superchargers are just barely fast enough to not be a huge drag on a road trip. I'm still looking forward to faster charge times than these are right now. But the Bolt's fastest, if you're lucky and a stall is available, road trip charging speed option (90 miles in 30 minutes) just doesn't cut it -- too little range for <= 30 minutes of charging. And that's a best-case scenario with the Bolt. With the ability to comfortably road trip gone, the Bolt's range becomes pretty superfluous. If it's just a city car, you don't really need more than ~100 miles of range. A used Leaf can provide that on the cheap (~$10k or less I've heard). There are several new EVs with city range out there too.

Even putting aside how the range and charging don't work together...
-Exterior is ugly. Looks like a cheap-o $14k econobox with a few weird lines mixed in, all at the price of premium or low-end ICE luxury cars (like Acura).
-Interior isn't ugly, but looks incredibly cheap as well. Feels like something a toddler would enjoy playing with, what with its bright plastics, disjointed controls, and outdated-looking UI. Seats do not look very comfortable.

The only thing I like about the Bolt (on paper, of course), besides its existence in helping the EV market, is its interior space and decent performance/handling.

In summary, I applaud Chevrolet for putting something out there. The range would be excellent if they could combine it with supercharger speeds (or faster) and accessibility for road trips. But when weighing the pros and cons, it's still not a very compelling option. I'd much rather have a used Model S for a bit more.

As far as I can tell, the only thing the Bolt has over the upcoming Model 3 (again, on paper), is perhaps interior headroom and cargo space (due to being a hatcback). I'll reserve judgment on the Model 3 interior until we see the final design, but I do tend to prefer classy, sleek, and clean over the cheap plastic kids toy look. The great thing about the Model 3 is that, unlike the Bolt, there are no compromises in city driving or on road trips.

Model 3 looks like it will be a much more compelling car for the money. I am glad the Bolt exists though! Just wish Chevy would have put the whole package together.

After following Tesla news for the last couple months while ordering and waiting for my Model X, I've been appalled at how much the media craps on Tesla with so many utterly false and inaccurate headlines, stories, and tone. There are several legitimate and factual criticisms of Tesla, but the media would rather outright lie and slander to gain attention. It's obnoxious.

Last edited:
Yes, way classier. Simple, clean, elegant, functional. In contrast, the Bolt interior is fussy, cluttered, and over-styled.

My opinion. You are welcome to differ.

What did you think about charge port location on the Model 3. Mine is not located very well. I think the stitching in the rear seats is the wrong color as well. I sort of wish they would have engineered some oversteer into it, just a touch. I know most cars natively understeer, but the Model 3 should have more of a Porsche feel in my opinion.

And my glove box isn't very large nor does lock with key.

Other than that, it's really nice until I wake up and realize I'm lying in bed with the alarm blaring. My cloudy mind before coffee still can realize there is no such thing as a production Model 3. We have seen what amounts to Concept Cars at this stage.

Even if the Bolt had the looks of a Cadillac ELR I still would go for the Model 3 hands down. It's a pity how GM continues to spew out mediocre EV offerings - definitely nothing close to a Tesla. In fact even their most compelling ICE cars do not appeal to me enough to make me purchase one. Ideally GM should offer a Corvette EV supercar first to show their seriousness in the new drivetrain technology and to potentially attract a new set of customers. This is obviously not the case.

• Disagree
Reactions: KZKZ and gene
Asked and answered: Chevy EV Life: Bolt EV Questions & Answers | Chevrolet

Will be interesting to see Tesla's service interval/pricing on the Model 3.

Nice find! What I get from that is the Bolt will be coming with a cabin air filter, unlike that strange omission in my Volt. :)

And the service pricing is a HUGE unknown for the Model 3. Considering we don't even know what the service plan prices are for the Model X (since Tesla isn't selling X service plans or extended warranties yet), I am guessing that is going to be a leap of faith for the early adopters.

Bolt EV:
94.4 sq ft passenger space
16.9 rear luggage space
56.6 storage with rear seat folded

LEAF:
92.4 sq ft passenger space
23.6 rear luggage space
53.6 storage with rear seat folded
Thanks for the comparison. So the Bolt actually has slightly more passenger space, which is nice. However, the Bolt's significantly smaller rear luggage space is unfortunate. We have a family and we do fill our LEAF's rear luggage space at times. That said, in comparison to the more beautiful Model 3, I do like that the Bolt is a hatchback.

Reactions: Jeff N
As far as I can tell, the only thing the Bolt has over the upcoming Model 3 (again, on paper), is perhaps interior headroom and cargo space...
Well, the Bolt EV does have some features or advantages that aren't known to be available on the Model 3. For example, the rear view camera mirror and the bird's eye Surround View while driving at slow speeds like parking. Those are both pretty cool.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Do you know how many times and days my Tesla has been in the service center compared to my Chevrolet Volts (2)? Many many to very very few. This may be the thing that kills Tesla. I have an Sig X but I also have a very early VIN GEN 1 Volt that was a new design and a very early VING GEN 2 Volt that was completely redesigned.
Why has your X been to service so often?
What did you think about charge port location on the Model 3. Mine is not located very well. I think the stitching in the rear seats is the wrong color as well. I sort of wish they would have engineered some oversteer into it, just a touch. I know most cars natively understeer, but the Model 3 should have more of a Porsche feel in my opinion.

And my glove box isn't very large nor does lock with key.

Other than that, it's really nice until I wake up and realize I'm lying in bed with the alarm blaring. My cloudy mind before coffee still can realize there is no such thing as a production Model 3. We have seen what amounts to Concept Cars at this stage.
Is having the charge port up front better than having it on the back? I have noticed every EV but Telsa's have the ports up front.

Having the charge port in the back means you have to back in to most public chargers and many superchargers. I am terrible at backing into public parking spaces, so I am not looking forward to that at all.
Yeah, I know my wife will love AP Perp parking. I am reasonably proficient at backing into spots, plus I like not having to look behind me when leaving a parking spot, along with being given the choice at going left or right more readily.

Having the charge port in the back means you have to back in to most public chargers and many superchargers. I am terrible at backing into public parking spaces, so I am not looking forward to that at all.
Maybe the Model 3 will have a surround view camera system like the Bolt EV. That would make backing into spaces much easier.

image.jpeg

I'm a Tesla owner and a big Tesla fan... but I've also had very positive experiences with my GM products in the past. I for one very much like what I've seen of the Bolt. I would probably lean more towards the Bolt than the Model 3. Here's why: I don't like small sedans. I find them to be very impractical especially when it comes to cargo capacity. Thinking back, every small car I've ever owned has been a hatchback, and I prefer that on smaller cars.

I personally think Tesla should have come out with the Model Y (assumed small crossover based on the Model 3) first as I believe that is where the market is now. Then come out with the sedan.

I postulate that Tesla, in order to monetize their Supercharger network, is going to come out with a Supercharger to CCS/CHAdeMO adapter to allow other cars to use the system. They've long said they want this to happen, and could (probably) simply sell an adapter that will cost or charge the user similar to how they plan to charge Model 3 owners for access.

Exactly!

Totally agree with these replies. I actually prefer the shape (not styling) of the Bolt over the M3. I prefer the practical shape of a Golf over a corolla. In my opinion, it is a shame Tesla didn't go for another hatchback. It doesn't matter if the seats fold or the truck lid is a little larger. Just try to store a few lawn chairs in the trunk of a sedan and you will know why.

I am obviously a huge Tesla fan (see sig) but I would still like to see their smaller car, the one I always wanted, to be more practical. Putting more glass in is also not the answer....