Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My order for Model X just got cancelled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove and ordered the car in Oct. 2020. I originally had a delivery date of Dec. 2020 which got pushed to March of 2021 and then to Sept. 2021. Every time it changed I was told a different reasons from Pandemic to supply issues which I understood as we're all living in this highly unusual time. Last update to delivery date was Nov. 2021 then changed to TBD recently. Today I was given 2 choices.

1. Reorder the car today and start from scratch
2. Cancel the order and lose the deposit.

I called Tesla today and was told that they no longer make the car I'd ordered and it needs to be updated. As you can see in my order sheet below nothing really changed except the price. She just kept saying that don't have long-range plus model anymore. Why didn't they me this back in December or January? I could've reorder the car back then and that would've been fine since nothing much was changed and price was same except the full auto drive. Why wait until now? Does having a contract means anything to Tesla? I know $100 isn't a lot of money these days but why am I losing the money if they are the one breaking the contract? And, if I or anyone to order the car now who's to say that they won't do the same again?

Sorry for the long rant but I felt like I had to let someone know what's going on and see if others have had same experience.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• Order.png
    Order.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 387
Reactions: voxel and voxelman
I test drove and ordered the car in Oct. 2020. I originally had a delivery date of Dec. 2020 which got pushed to March of 2021 and then to Sept. 2021. Every time it changed I was told a different reasons from Pandemic to supply issues which I understood as we're all living in this highly unusual time. Last update to delivery date was Nov. 2021 then changed to TBD recently. Today I was given 2 choices.

I called Tesla today and was told that they no longer make the car I'd ordered and it needs to be updated. As you can see in my order sheet below nothing really changed except the price. She just kept saying that don't have long-range plus model anymore. Why didn't they me this back in December or January? I could've reorder the car back then and that would've been fine since nothing much was changed and price was same except the full auto drive. Why wait until now? Does having a contract means anything to Tesla? I know $100 isn't a lot of money these days but why am I losing the money if they are the one breaking the contract? And, if I or anyone to order the car now who's to say that they won't do the same again?

Sorry for the long rant but I felt like I had to let someone know what's going on and see if others have had same experience.

Thanks for reading.
Sounds like you got Tesla’d

Obviously you are aware they have refreshed the Model X since your original order. Why didn’t they roll you into a new Model X with a $2K discount from the original MSRP like they did for Model S owners?

Something is missing from the story here.

Reactions: croman

Obviously you are aware they have refreshed the Model X since your original order. Why didn’t they roll you into a new Model X with a $2K discount from the original MSRP like they did for Model S owners?

Someone else reported this exact story. Tesla put it on customers to switch from LR+ to a new refresh since it was 10k more (but they offered a 2k sweetener and 2k FSD price match).

Customers that didn't call them now are getting cancelled and told to pay current prices!!!

Reactions: jboy210
While the Long range + may have got discontinued, I think it is a price increase issue with Tesla ( may be they are going to move over to the newer batteries) . However since Tesla is an enormously successful company now, my hope is that Tesla makes some concession in the pricing to move the order to the new configuration. It is best to talk to Tesla and see what best you can get from them.

Someone else reported this exact story. Tesla put it on customers to switch from LR+ to a new refresh since it was 10k more (but they offered a 2k sweetener and 2k FSD price match).

Customers that didn't call them now are getting cancelled and told to pay current prices!!!
That sounds like a very Tesla thing of them to do.

Reactions: croman
While the Long range + may have got discontinued, I think it is a price increase issue with Tesla ( may be they are going to move over to the newer batteries) . However since Tesla is an enormously successful company now, my hope is that Tesla makes some concession in the pricing to move the order to the new configuration. It is best to talk to Tesla and see what best you can get from them.
They did, the post above yours when over the options older order holders received.

Options chosen in the "update" are exactly the same as what I ordered. I can under stand the difference in price if there were any major mechanical difference like RWD to AWD but mine wasn't.

I was aware of the refresh when it happened of course. I did get a call from Tesla saying so themselves but there were no mention of needing to roll over or reordering during the call. I was just told to wait until the backlog eases. I don't even think there were any price difference either other than the full auto option going from $8k to 10k.

I did call them today. All she said was either start over from scratch or lose the deposit. I was given a week to decide or it'll be cancelled for me and I'll lose the deposit.

I did call them today. All she said was either start over from scratch or lose the deposit. I was given a week to decide or it'll be cancelled for me and I'll lose the deposit.
The power of persuasion is enormous... sometimes appeal works better than logic, suggest talk to them and gently persuade and request to give you a better option if there is one, also request the person to talk to her/his boss to pursue your case in case higher up approval is required. This is what I would do, it is just an additional investment of your time to get a more favorable outcome.

Thanks for reading.
I got my email today also that my Model X is no longer available. The last email I received was in October and was told that delivery date will be late December to early Jan 2022. Now I will have to pay $10500 for the Model X instead of $79,990. I was told that the car I ordered has been discontinued and I have the same two choices to make. 😡

The power of persuasion is enormous... sometimes appeal works better than logic, suggest talk to them and gently persuade and request to give you a better option if there is one, also request the person to talk to her/his boss to pursue your case in case higher up approval is required. This is what I would do, it is just an additional investment of your time to get a more favorable outcome.
Thanks for the reply. I agree with your suggestion and have benefited in many different situations myself. However, yesterday's phone call felt different. It could have been the person I was talking to but she didn't want continue past the "which option do you want to move forward with?". When I asked for a supervisor or someone who can offer a better solution she transferred me to someone with a full message box. Basically a dead end.

When the refreshed was announced, I got a text, email and call to change over for a 2k credit. Did you get contacted by tesla early in the year?
I did get a call in the beginning of the year but I wasn't offered any options. I believe the refresh and some price increase were already announced at the time. I was just told about the delay and wait until May/June. And, the delivery date on my account changed accordingly until my last inquiry about a month ago when it changed from Nov. 21 to TBD.

We placed an order in December of last year. Shortly after the refresh was announced in January, a Tesla employee notified us that we needed to go in and accept the updated order or it would be cancelled. We waited about a week and then accepted the change so that we could lock in the $2000 discount.

I did get a call in the beginning of the year but I wasn't offered any options. I believe the refresh and some price increase were already announced at the time. I was just told about the delay and wait until May/June. And, the delivery date on my account changed accordingly until my last inquiry about a month ago when it changed from Nov. 21 to TBD.

As usual with Tesla you were given wrong info and now their machine has identified your and similar orders as deficient.

I would definitely call and call until you get someone to book your order and the 90k price point I got in June and not the present 105k price. That's really the key. You shouldn't be punished for Tesla not automatically converting your order. See what happened with the Plaid+ model S orders. They also got similarly screwed but some managed to fight to get their normal book price.

We placed an order in December of last year. Shortly after the refresh was announced in January, a Tesla employee notified us that we needed to go in and accept the updated order or it would be cancelled. We waited about a week and then accepted the change so that we could lock in the $2000 discount.

But shouldn't the pricing be automatically frozen instead of forcing people into 23k more expensive vehicles?

The 15k price increase is just unfair where not all customers were given the proper info.

But shouldn't the pricing be automatically frozen instead of forcing people into 23k more expensive vehicles?

The 15k price increase is just unfair where not all customers were given the proper info.
Yes, by accepting the new updated order, we locked in the lower price.

It's unfortunate if everyone didn't receive the same notifications or advanced notice before an order cancellation.

Thanks for reading.
They breaches my contract and asked me to reorder at the new price too. Ive been asked to reach out to their legal and resolution team at [email protected] or [email protected].
If they dont resolve in 60 days you can reach out to the american arbitrarion team to look at the disbute.