Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY PUP Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is the ride quality on the 21inch wheels? My delivery is ready MY PUP Red with FSD. I am trading in my M3 stealth with 18 inches aero.

Any Chicago owners who has the MY PUP Thoughts? Wanted to test drive performance but tesla center in highland park doesnt have the performance model.

I spent 30min for a scheduled test drive yesterday at Tesla in NJ. It was a MYP w/ PUP. Here are my observations:

1) Ride was slightly harsh and my son did say he can feel the bumps and potholes as he sat in the back.
2) The wheels and brakes look sweet
3) The energy consumption/range was poor imho

My advisor was great and knowledgeable and honest. He basically said this is a test car so people will abuse it, thus the high energy consumption. He was quick to say the drop is due to the 21". I asked him on the harshness of the ride if it was the susp or wheels and he said it was mostly due to the wheels but also mentioned the coiled spring vs the other tesla susp due have an impact.

His recommendation to me was MYLR or MYP w/ the 20" (no PUP) for my usage and especially since we are in pothole valley in central/north NJ :(

• Informative
Reactions: JK20 and Watts_Up
Here was my thinking in this debate. I can change out wheels/tires much easier then Brakes and Suspension bits. Also 20" Induction Wheels only come with Summer Tires. So really for me I need all seasons eventually, so either I get all the free bits of the MY PUP and buy new wheels and tires, or buy the non PUP and have to buy new tires. But with the PUP I get better brakes and better suspension (imo) for free... that's a no brainier.

Here was my thinking in this debate. I can change out wheels/tires much easier then Brakes and Suspension bits. Also 20" Induction Wheels only come with Summer Tires. So really for me I need all seasons eventually, so either I get all the free bits of the MY PUP and buy new wheels and tires, or buy the non PUP and have to buy new tires. But with the PUP I get better brakes and better suspension (imo) for free... that's a no brainier.
The Goodyear F1 on the Inductions are M+S All season rated...

Reactions: empiredown

Pretty sure you could swap the Uberturbines for Inductions with someone either for no cost or even perhaps claw a few $$ back from the transaction.

everything is all relative depending on the cars you have driven in the past vs. stage in life (older, kids, etc.). but if you were to get "performance" of anything, i would expect the ride to be slightly "rough"

i drove a BMW M4 on coilovers and 20" forged wheels prior to the MY PUP and can say that at least the MY is "smoother" and less harsh on the road, so it's much nicer for me - cruising speed is definitely not bumpy or uncomfortable. i by no means expected it to be as smooth as a Lexus ES, Toyota Avalon or etc. - i go over speedbumps slowly but can still feel it (not as bad since of the ride height and etc.).

i avg about 280 (mixed hwy and road) for energy consumption (i charge every 2 days when it's about 45-50% battery back/forth from work) up to 90%. having my 1st long distance trip from NorCal --> SoCal tomorrow so we shall see what's crackin

everything is all relative depending on the cars you have driven in the past vs. stage in life (older, kids, etc.). but if you were to get "performance" of anything, i would expect the ride to be slightly "rough"

i drove a BMW M4 on coilovers and 20" forged wheels prior to the MY PUP and can say that at least the MY is "smoother" and less harsh on the road, so it's much nicer for me - cruising speed is definitely not bumpy or uncomfortable. i by no means expected it to be as smooth as a Lexus ES, Toyota Avalon or etc. - i go over speedbumps slowly but can still feel it (not as bad since of the ride height and etc.).

i avg about 280 (mixed hwy and road) for energy consumption (i charge every 2 days when it's about 45-50% battery back/forth from work) up to 90%. having my 1st long distance trip from NorCal --> SoCal tomorrow so we shall see what's crackin

I would love to get performance as a former BMW owner but with kids and these *sugar* NJ roads, I can’t get the 21”. I have the upgraded 21” on existing suv and while
It’s great at cornering and awesome on smooth roads I get a jolt every time I hit a pothole. Trust me...if I was in CA it would be a different story.

Reactions: iCeMaNxLb
How is the ride quality on the 21inch wheels? My delivery is ready MY PUP Red with FSD. I am trading in my M3 stealth with 18 inches aero.

Any Chicago owners who has the MY PUP Thoughts? Wanted to test drive performance but tesla center in highland park doesnt have the performance model.
I got the PUP and love it. I commute couple of days a week from Naperville to Buffalo Grove, and enjoy the sporty type of ride.

I would like to know to....the rep emailed me and said both LR and Perf Inductions are the SAME tire. However he said they are summer...I just think they don't know A+S is...

Just curious, what tires have you seen on the LR Induction 20" wheels? I mean it wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer put different tires on the same car/wheel.. but I am pretty sure Tesla hasn't done that yet on the MY.

Just curious, what tires have you seen on the LR Induction 20" wheels? I mean it wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer put different tires on the same car/wheel.. but I am pretty sure Tesla hasn't done that yet on the MY.
I've been trying to get a definitive answer to this question. Here is a prior thread that includes a picture of the 20" tire with a clear "M+S" marking:
What are the OEM tires on the 19", 20" and 21" wheels?
I'm no tire expert, but I guess this means it has some "all season" capabilities. However, I'm not sure I'd want to drive around on it in the winter if I lived in a place that had freezing temps and ice/snow (which I do).

The ride quality on the Y's are no doubt on the stiffer side. The bigger the rims, the more your tush is going to feel every road imperfection, period..

Having ridden the model S with air supension, the difference is night and day.

I think the ride quality is extremely good. I'm comming from a GLE coupe with air suspension and havent noticed a big difference surprisingly .

Wow that is definitely surprising. I’m coming from an X5 with rear only air suspension and my PUP is definitely a bit harsher over bumps but definitely not uncomfortable by any means. Overall rides a little more stiff but in a positive way, the X5 was a bit too ‘boaty’ for my liking. No complaints from me ride wise.

I live in Florida so we don't really have pot holes but we do have rough spots of pavement. But for my driving which is mostly on newer paved roads the 21's are awesome. They stick like glue and the car handles like it is on rails. Reminds me of the 911 I had years ago. I pay little attention to energy consumption as I only drive around town. When we road trip with the dogs and kids we use the Expedition MAX. I love the look of the Uberturbines and gets lots of compliments. Having said that it seems like the folks who live up north with potholes and snow do not like the 21's so I would go with 19's.

• Love
Reactions: Coreyod