Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My request that the Arizona Attorney General's office investigate Tesla's changes to Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my P100D, which is only a month old, ludicrous+ mode demonstrates 583kW on the left maximum, and I didn't need to have 100% charge - I think it was about 88% last time. It has shown this since I first got the vehicle and I've seen no change with the latest firmware. By the time I'm down to 60% charge it has dropped to about 535 IIRC.
Does the screen on the left only appear when Max Battery is Ready? Or is there a trick to displaying that read out?
The temperature gauge appears as soon as you engage ludicrous+ mode but the display on the left with the power and acceleration data only shows up once temperature reaches optimal (50 degrees as already said.)

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: zanary and P100DHG.
For my latest test of 8 zero to sixty runs over 10 minutes, the starting pack temperature with max battery ready was 45.28C and after all of the runs it was 48.31C. These are the averages of the 32 temperatures that are available for the 16 individual bricks in the pack. On the P90DL at least, it looks like 50C is an upper limit.

Last edited:
I'm having mixed feelings on the need to turn on MBR, but at least there's not a time-limited pedal dance required.
Yeah the MBR issue is something I can see learning to live with. As long as I knew that using it wasn't causing battery damage. If so, I would just turn it on in the morning before getting ready for work. Since my commute time is around 20 minutes, I would have to enable max battery about a half hour before I headed to work. Would be very cool if the remote Tesla app would allow me to enable MB. That would make it super easy.

Yeah the MBR issue is something I can see learning to live with. As long as I knew that using it wasn't causing battery damage. If so, I would just turn it on in the morning before getting ready for work. Since my commute time is around 20 minutes, I would have to enable max battery about a half hour before I headed to work. Would be very cool if the remote Tesla app would allow me to enable MB. That would make it super easy.

The increased temperature will likely increase battery wear. Can't say for sure by how much, but it has to increase by some amount with each increase in temperature.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and Walta
I'm with you. Honestly, I wish they would just open up this widget UI for all Model S / Model X (even the 40/60).
And most importantly, make it available at all times, not just once you've hit MBR Ready State.
I was playing around with this on a loaner MS P100DL and it was super annoying that I had to wait 30 minutes before I could see the data. Not to mention, for the purpose I was viewing the data, I didn't need, nor want MBR on. I felt bad that I was cooking the battery half the day, just to collect data that could have been visible otherwise. (I was reviewing the behavior "Range Mode" has on power distribution between the motors at different speeds).

For what it's worth, I turn on ludicrous+ mode as soon as I get into the car on my way to work and back. I never wait for it to heat up the battery. The reason is I want the extra current draw and I want launch mode enabled but I don't actually want to cook my battery since that's known to shorten lifespan. (Then again doing launches and doing maximum draw also probably shortens lifespan but only as much as I use rather than all the time) I don't care about the last 5% from getting to maximum temperature so long as I can get the rest without the cooking.

I could probably fire up MBP in ludicrous+ at 100% charge tomorrow to confirm for sure that no change has happened if people like?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I could probably fire up MBP in ludicrous+ at 100% charge tomorrow to confirm for sure that no change has happened if people like?

It would be useful if you can measure if you get the same max power and 0-60 time with launch mode and without launch mode. That should have been the major change in this update. You should now get the same max power both with and without using launch mode.

Good eye on the underline. My eyes... not so good. o_O
So does @zanary max out at around 357kW like most V1 batts?

This whole thing with the P90DL's just stinks to high hell. This model was advertised with performance specs which it could never deliver until they quietly started putting in a different battery and then quietly updating the firmware to unlock it's potential. Then this whole debacle with restricting power, then giving it back under only certain conditions. Then finally putting it back how it was.
This whole time seriously screwing the V1 folks because we'll never see the performance we paid for, AND we get screwed out of the 100kW upgrade that was promised to 90kW owners, which could potentially finally give us the performance we paid for, because now they say that's only for refresh cars (V2 & V3 cars).
Could be worse. You could have a "691HP" P85DL? ;-)

In all seriousness, thank you @azdryheat and others for pushing this. It's a pity it had to be a potential legal precedent to be taken seriously, vs a potential marketing bonus of delighting customers proactively... here's hoping people learn that consumers as evangelists are a double-edged sword.

Reactions: yak-55
It would be useful if you can measure if you get the same max power and 0-60 time with launch mode and without launch mode. That should have been the major change in this update. You should now get the same max power both with and without using launch mode.
Alas I have no measuring equipment of my own and access to drag strips here in .au is very limited. All I have to go by is the quoted power on the display - and my own perception says it's no different.

Alas I have no measuring equipment of my own and access to drag strips here in .au is very limited. All I have to go by is the quoted power on the display - and my own perception says it's no different.

Great, that is what we were looking for. In the previous software release, if you didn't use launch mode, it would be about 25-30 kW reduced from when you do use launch mode. If you can get the same max kW with and without launch mode, that's good news.

Also, you can measure the output with just an iPhone or iPad running powertools.

Great, that is what we were looking for. In the previous software release, if you didn't use launch mode, it would be about 25-30 kW reduced from when you do use launch mode. If you can get the same max kW with and without launch mode, that's good news.

Also, you can measure the output with just an iPhone or iPad running powertools.
Do you mean for me to just get the displayed power on the instrument cluster during a normal takeoff and then launch mode and compare?

Yes, if you have a P100D with ludicrous+, you can do it with the dash display.
Gotcha. I'll do a few runs tonight with optimal conditions. It's the tail end of winter here so hopefully it won't be below 4 degrees tonight or launch mode will be unavailable - I've been burnt by this condition once before sitting there at lights mashing the two pedals only to get the "you are pressing both pedals" warning instead of getting launch control lol.