Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My solution for increasing HVAC effectiveness when for solo (and pass)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
When driving mainly by yourself or with 1 other passenger in the front seat the rear vents in the backside of the armrest blow cold (or hot) air. I think other rear vents are off. I realize this likely to keep the whole cabin at a similar temperature but for a few years now I've been redirecting that air up and a little forward. Think a slight airflow up near your shoulder and head. Works really great in all seasons. I've driven probably 75K miles in my Xs (P90DL and now reg 100D).

I've rigged (read: redneck engineered) a few different ideas to redirect that air up and ultimately to the front area (near head or shoulders).

Seems like there should be a more elegant solution.

A couple of 'solutions'.

1st one not pictured was my spare front license plate tilted/held up from two monster cans in the rear cup holders.
2nd one pictured:
9U24vKW.jpg

FVFxLlI.jpg

I made another solution by buying a cell phone mount that attaches to vents. Had to insert something shapped like 'T' to redirect more air.
3rd one pictured:

ldk6jgR.jpg

iNSkQcA.jpg

HQQ8h16.jpg

KaFYBio.jpg

Again seems like there should be a more elegant solution.

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: spectrum and THX723
I find the AC to be quite effective for the 1 or 2 people. Pretty much between 90-105 from July to Sept.
Might be because we have a 5-seater.
Actually mine has been quite effective as well in both my Xs.
This trick/addition just lets you run it a degree (or 2 or 3) higher in the summer.
Good circulation as well as a light light air flow 'behind you'.

I rarely need to use the aircon, and when I do, it it rarely goes above 22 degrees celcius with the fan at 1. In fact, my biggest gripe is that I have to manually turn off the aircon each time the car restarts, even after it was turned off before.

I rarely need to use the aircon, and when I do, it it rarely goes above 22 degrees celcius with the fan at 1. In fact, my biggest gripe is that I have to manually turn off the aircon each time the car restarts, even after it was turned off before.
Hopefully you realize what an extremely small statistical user you are, however. :) 99.9% of the time I just use AUTO and don't need to adjust the temperature very often ... just like in my homes livingroom!