Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Solution to the Blind Spot Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why the standard implementation of an LED on the side mirror is not on any Tesla is mind boggling.

I agree that Tesla goal to simplify the car, and rely too much on autonomous driving, compromised the car for the drivers.
I think an adding an audible tone when traffic is present in blind spot and turn signal is activated, would be the best "over the air" solution Tesla could offer us now:(, but the warning lights in the sideview mirrors are better solutions.

P.S. I'm 6' tall and agree the mirrors don't adjust out far enough to provide proper adjustment for drivers needing the seat adjusted rearward.

Last edited:
The best audio alerts solution I’ve heard suggested is to make the blinker clicking sound slightly different when there’s a car in the way. This would give you advanced warning without being annoying. A different audio alert could be given if the car detects you actively trying to turn into an occupied lane.

I like that. I would also like the option to change the steering wheel rumble from lane departure to blind spot notification. If you turn on your blinkers and theres a car next to you, it rumbles

I agree the stubby mirrors need blind spot LED indicators. I mean, they get so dark and only cover the blind spot if I really move my head around ('m 6 foot and sit reclined because otherwise the 3's seats hurt my lower back). Lots of things in the tesla are behind other manufacturers of cheaper cars.

My wifes 2018 XC60 volo has the same kind of app tesla has, has auto open rear hatch you can kick your foot under, has a HUD, Reads speed limit signs, has blind spot LEDs and warning in the mirrors, has pro pilot assist, auto park etc, has 360 cameras, and even shows you a playlist when you connect your phone via bluetooth (not even using android auto). Oh and it has auto dimming mirrors that work correctly.

The 3 feels old in many ways compared to the volvo, much less comfortable too. Of course it's a gas car, so there's that.

The best audio alerts solution I’ve heard suggested is to make the blinker clicking sound slightly different when there’s a car in the way. This would give you advanced warning without being annoying. A different audio alert could be given if the car detects you actively trying to turn into an occupied lane.
I was driving a rental Nissan Altima in Honolulu the last week. It came with blind spot lamps near the rear view mirrors. It also sounded a "beep" instead of the normal clicking when I signaled if it thought somebody was in my blind spot. Tesla needs to do this. I realize that not everyone uses their signals but it would help me.

I came from a rather base level MB C300 before I got my Tesla. The ONE thing I miss from that car (well two, I found the interior in that car to be of higher quality - not presentation) is the blind spot monitoring. I didn't even think about it when looking at the Tesla, I just assumed that with all the cameras/sensors/autonomy, that it would have it.

The simple solution would be to add an audible chime when you use the blinker and there is a car in the blind spot. The lane turns red on the screen anyway indicating a vehicle is there, it can't be that hard to add an option for a chime.

For those saying to use your head, why not use your foot instead cruise control or why not use your arms instead of autosteer. Blind spot monitoring is a good safety feature and a convenience that even the cheapest cars are coming with now in 2018/19. Christ, even the new Rav4 comes STANDARD with blind spot, rear cross traffic alert and adaptive cruise...

For those saying to use your head, why not use your foot instead cruise control or why not use your arms instead of autosteer. Blind spot monitoring is a good safety feature and a convenience that even the cheapest cars are coming with now in 2018/19. Christ, even the new Rav4 comes STANDARD with blind spot, rear cross traffic alert and adaptive cruise...

Because some people will defend Tesla no matter what choices they make. :confused:

Would love to see a proper BSM in the future.

I have talked in other threads about the issue that the driver side mirror does not rotate out far enough thus creating a blind spot on the driver’s side. Although I hate the solution it does solve the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HEC3O0Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Totally agreed about the solution. Don't like it but also bought these as well. I actually mounted mine upside down compared to yours so rounder part on the outside and tapered part on the inside.

• Informative
Reactions: Curb71
Here's how I mounted mine. Aside from the blindspot issue, also helps with overly dimmed mirrors.
1548256998671684.jpg

I use the backup camera all the time for lane changing. I lovingly refer to it as the "cutoff cam" because I can make a lane change without moving my head and with great precision. Like another poster said, it's not as good as in the S because it hogs the screen, but it works very well with the wide angle view showing if there's a car in your blind spots.

Reactions: wenkan
Great suggestions from everyone that posted above, here's a summary of them:

• Audible warning when turn signal is on
• Steering wheel vibrates
• Better visual warning with a red pulsing light similar to Autopilot warning (blue light at top of screen)
• Enable side cameras to appear on screen when turn signal is on

I think having an option for audible warning when turn signal is turned on or having the steering wheel vibrate works best.

Does this interfere with the mirror's tilt feature?
This blind-spot mirror does protrude a bit since it has its own built-in swivel base for adjustment. If you mount it too close to, or over, the edge of your existing mirror it might touch your mirror housing when the mirror is fully tilted. If you buy one of these, tilt your mirror all the way and testfit to ensure you have clearance.