Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Sub Panel & Wall Charger Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are a few pictures of my wall charger project. My main panel was full so I actually needed two sub panels. One over by my main panel, as well as one in the garage. Since I wanted to add other 240V circuits in addition to the wall charger in the garage I opted to put in a 125A sub panel in the garage vs just bringing a branch circuit over. Also, I wanted the ability to have a 100A breaker for wall charger as well as a distribution block so I could add additional Tesla wall chargers to the same circuit utilizing the networked master/slave configuration.

I ran 1awg, three conductor + 6 awg gnd metal clad cable from my main panel to the 125A main lug sub panel. I also used this same type of MC cable to feed the sub panel near my main panel. I added a surge protector on the sub panel as well as a voltage/current monitor that tracks kWh consumed by my charger circuit. I also added a 30A and 50A plug for future needs and a twist lock 30A for my 80 gallon compressor. I still have drywall to repair as well as running network cable and a feed for another charger in the future. I am up and running, able to charge at nearly 12kW now with minimal voltage drop. It sure beats 120V @ 12A.....

IMG_4270.JPG

IMG_4286.JPG

57775776938__75507C6C-3AF5-4AFC-9CED-C3CA16875751.JPG

57776014353__31D59889-5542-40C4-91AE-E1839A9BAA1A.JPG

IMG_4461.JPG

IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

IMG_4472.JPG

Here are a few pictures of my wall charger project. My main panel was full so I actually needed two sub panels. One over by my main panel, as well as one in the garage. Since I wanted to add other 240V circuits in addition to the wall charger in the garage I opted to put in a 125A sub panel in the garage vs just bringing a branch circuit over. Also, I wanted the ability to have a 100A breaker for wall charger as well as a distribution block so I could add additional Tesla wall chargers to the same circuit utilizing the networked master/slave configuration.

I ran 1awg, three conductor + 6 awg gnd metal clad cable from my main panel to the 125A main lug sub panel. I also used this same type of MC cable to feed the sub panel near my main panel. I added a surge protector on the sub panel as well as a voltage/current monitor that tracks kWh consumed by my charger circuit. I also added a 30A and 50A plug for future needs and a twist lock 30A for my 80 gallon compressor. I still have drywall to repair as well as running network cable and a feed for another charger in the future. I am up and running, able to charge at nearly 12kW now with minimal voltage drop. It sure beats 120V @ 12A.....

Ok, that is HARD CORE!

Most people would just run SE wire instead of MC in a residence. ;-) I love it though!

I assume the MC is copper not aluminum? (most also use aluminum since it is WAY cheaper)

What model of distribution block is that? It is awesome, I would love to check it out! Though what is the max size wire you can come out if it with? It looks pretty small? What size did you use to the Wall Connector and what kind of wire? Romex? Oh, and what kind of wire did you use from the panel to the distribution block?

And what model of voltage/current monitor is that? I had not seen one that goes in a light switch position. Love it!

Reactions: hcdavis3
Yea I don't skimp on electrical installs. ;) It's all copper wire, the MC armored jacket is aluminum, but they do make steel variants.

I have smaller MC going in the wall to the charger, it's 2awg 2 conductor plus 6awg ground. The NM wire you see is 6/3 and that is going to both 30A plugs and the 50A. I wanted the ability to upgrade to 50A receptacles if needed. The 30A circuits are breakered for 30A despite the larger cable. Code was followed to the letter and exceeded in many cases.

The distribution block is a beast, it's rated for 335A, input is rated for #6 - 400MCM, and the branch circuits can accept up to 2awg. I put that in a 12"x12" pull box. I also have a ground bus bar mounted in there that isn't in the picture since I took it before I was finished.

The monitor can be found on amazon and it's a close fit to the wall plate. I had to snip a few pieces of plastic and file a few things for it to fit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRZAFAF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yea I don't skimp on electrical installs. ;) It's all copper wire, the MC armored jacket is aluminum, but they do make steel variants.

I have smaller MC going in the wall to the charger, it's 2awg 2 conductor plus 6awg ground. The NM wire you see is 6/3 and that is going to both 30A plugs and the 50A. I wanted the ability to upgrade to 50A receptacles if needed. The 30A circuits are breakered for 30A despite the larger cable. Code was followed to the letter and exceeded in many cases.

The distribution block is a beast, it's rated for 335A, input is rated for #6 - 400MCM, and the branch circuits can accept up to 2awg. I put that in a 12"x12" pull box. I also have a ground bus bar mounted in there that isn't in the picture since I took it before I was finished.

The monitor can be found on amazon and it's a close fit to the wall plate. I had to snip a few pieces of plastic and file a few things for it to fit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRZAFAF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am impressed! Love it!

I am curious who makes that distribution block. I have never seen one before. I may want to use that in my house. I love the idea! I am also curious about the ground block you used. I want to steal that entire idea for my new house. ;-)

P.S. 2 AWG landing in the Wall Connector is a pain in the butt isn't it? ;-) How did you manage it with the rear entry?

It's a square d distribution block I got used on ebay. I'm sure if you search a bit you will find it. I'll have to try and dig up the part number, I'm not sure if it's a current offering or not. The ground block was just one that I got at home depot, nothing special, but it can accept 6 awg.

The 2 awg was a bit difficult to get into the terminal block but not too bad. I used the optional rear assembly on the wall connector so I could use the more flexible and crimped ends that are included with the wall connector kit. It makes the whole thing stick out more but it also gives a nice spot to coil up the 24' of cable. To get the wire into the back of the wall connector, I just drilled a hole in the back of the extended wall mount and used a 90 degree 3/4" MC cable fitting. I also put some wood though the opening I cut in the drywall and screwed that in so when I mounted the wall connector it had a nice backing plate for the screws to bite into.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: eprosenx
Nice install. Tell me more about the HEPD80 as I've never seen one used for a Tesla charging set up.
There’s not much to it, it’s a panel mounted surge suppressor. Put in a two pole breaker and wire it in. I have one on the main panel so I put one here too. I figured with the compressor on this sub panel there could be some spikes induced from the motor, it would be worth while to put one in to suppress surges if they originated from something connected to this panel or further up stream. I have a much larger industrial grade one connected to my main panel that has a surge counter. You wouldn’t believe how many surge events can occur when power is restored after an outage, especially if it’s a widespread outage. Inexpensive protection.

There’s not much to it, it’s a panel mounted surge suppressor. Put in a two pole breaker and wire it in. I have one on the main panel so I put one here too. I figured with the compressor on this sub panel there could be some spikes induced from the motor, it would be worth while to put one in to suppress surges if they originated from something connected to this panel or further up stream. I have a much larger industrial grade one connected to my main panel that has a surge counter. You wouldn’t believe how many surge events can occur when power is restored after an outage, especially if it’s a widespread outage. Inexpensive protection.

Ooh, what model has a surge counter? That sounds cool! I would love to know more about it.

It’s a large commercial grade one. In general it’s probably not worth doing, but I got it for a steal so why not. I got it new in box for a fraction of the list price. It’s a three phase unit but you can actually use it and just connect two of the internal modules to one of the 240v hots. This doubles up protection on one phase to 240ka. Just be careful that you know what you are buying, not all of the three phase products will work with standard 240v split phase. Also it’s worth noting that while this provides a large amount of protection to 240v circuits it won’t cut in until 260v or so for 120v circuits. I complimented this on my main panel with an hepd80 which cuts in at 150v. Stepped protection. I don’t expect to have any surge issues!

Square D EMA Surge Suppressor model TVS2EMA12A

TVS2EMA12A - EMA TVSS, 208Y/120V, 3 ph, 4 wire, 120kA | Schneider Electric

I'm confused what the 12" x 12" box with the lugs is used for. Is this a termination for the #1 MC cable? If so, what size wire (and how) did you feed the sub panel directly below it. It looks like only one side of the lugs are large enough to terminate the #1's. Maybe you doubled up the #1's. Hopefully the bigger lugs were rated for 2 conductors per lug. Other than that, it looks like you are ready for anything the future can bring load-wise.

The MC feed from the main panel goes directly into the sub panel. A 100A breaker on the sub panel then connects to the junction box with the distribution block. I have 1awg is going in larger feed side of the block. The large lug side is rated for 6awg to 400mcm, so 1awg is within the rating. The output side is rated for #12 (I think) through #2, so I'm good there too. The charger branches off of the block will each be 2awg to allow each to support 80A continuous if needed.

The junction box and terminal block is to allow the use of multiple Tesla wall connectors in the future using the same 100A branch circuit from the sub panel. That's allowable because of the networking that allows the master wall connector to limit to total current between all wall connectors to 80A.

I was definitely planning for an electric future in my garage and the potential that I won't be able to charge at work for free forever. the 48A charging @ 240V really adds miles pretty quick. It's nice to know if I have if a busy weekend and I don't want to or can't wait until work on Monday to recharge.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA and eprosenx
200a service. My panel is fed from a dedicated transformer part way down my driveway. The buried wires are way over size (like most things I do), it could support 400a if a panel upgrade is needed. My total load at any one time won’t be much higher since the car charges at night. Other 240v upgrades like the plugs would only be seeing things like a welder or compressor, so all short duration loads. Total average for the house wouldn’t be much higher.

Reactions: StoicKiwi
It’s multi conductor so it’s like bending a bunch of 14awg wires bundled up. It’s
not too terrible. 4/0 and larger SER is much more difficult.

I tried for an hour to get 4gauge direct into the HPWC block. I thought I was going to pop a component off the IC board or worse if it slipped. I couldn’t get it clamped tight (probably not aigned) so I did the same, used the back extender with flex leads - much, much easier.

For 30’ of 4/3 copper and odds/ends it was about $200 to install. In reality I probably should have saved the $500 on the HPWC and just put a 14-50 outlet with the included level 2 charger that has never left my trunk since I’ve only used the HPWC twice in 2 months (free charging at work). I think I get a 30% tax credit on the $700 though.

Reactions: eprosenx