Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My super charger rate reduced from 130kW to 58kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah...definitely no love for old cars.

I bet....they have the following somewhere in their code.

if (freeSuperCharge)
canScrewThisGuy = 1;

I don’t doubt that. 😆

There was also the conclusion in the erstwhile Tesla forums that this screws Tesla too. Lots of people with enough free time browsing on their phones, shopping, etc while their Teslas charge at a snail’s pace, preventing paying customers from charging.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
No, you’re not being treated any differently than others that pay for Supercharging.

72kW and 150kW Superchargers are paired, which is why you’ll see them labeled 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, and so on. A and B spaces split power output when both chargers are being used. If there’s only one vehicle charging in two spaces, that vehicle receives 100% of the power output vs. 50%.

This isn’t an issue at 250kW Superchargers. It’s common courtesy to always leave one Supercharger space between you and another vehicle so that both vehicles receive the maximum output available. Of course, that’s not always possible if a Supercharging station is busy, but just be mindful.

I hope that answers your question, and may you enjoy the many Supercharging days you have ahead!
72KW is not shared, only 120 (few that haven't been upgraded)/150 KW chargers

A few years ago the Supercharger behavior on paired V2 stalls changed, so that the "first car gets priority" rule no longer applies. Power is offered equally to both sides of a stall now. Whether you have free Supercharging or not is irrelevant.

I'm sure many forum posts could be made about what's "fair" or not, but that's the current behavior.

Bruce.

Moderator note: Moved this to the Battery and Charging subforum.
When did this change take effect? Haven't seen an official statement about this.

Thank you for your replay.
It was 150kW station. I know about the sharing.
In the past, the algorithm was first come person gets at least close to 90kW as long as that person's battery/heating can take it.
Immediately reducing me to 58kW doesn't make sense.
Why the person who came after me getting more than me?

"150 kW" V2 stalls have chargers that are arranged in four groups of three 12 kW charging units each. Full power is 144 kW, half power is 72 kW, and one quarter power is 36 kW.

In the past, the second vehicle to arrive at a pair would only get one group of chargers, for 36 kW max until the first vehicle's charge rate dropped below 72 kW, then both cars would each get two groups of chargers, for 72 kW each.

That has since changed (as of two years ago?), and the power is evenly split as soon as the second vehicle plugs in. When the first vehicle drops below 36 kW, the second vehicle will be allocated up to 108 kW.

Note that these are nominal figures that don't take into account battery heating, climate control or broken equipment. If your car is heating the battery or using climate control, you could see up to 10 kW less. You could also see less power if some of the chargers in the group that you're using aren't outputting at full capacity. For example, if one of the 12 chargers in the cabinet is malfunctioning, one of the cars will get 12 kW less than nominal. If you're paired, your car is using 4 kW for climate control, and there is one bad charger assigned to you, that would put you at 58 kW.

TL;DR the system is functioning as designed and you aren't being treated differently because you have free unlimited supercharging.

Last edited:
"150 kW" V2 stalls have chargers that are arranged in four groups of three 12 kW charging units each. Full power is 144 kW, half power is 72 kW, and one quarter power is 36 kW.

In the past, the second vehicle to arrive at a pair would only get one group of chargers, for 36 kW max until the first vehicle's charge rate dropped below 72 kW, then both cars would each get two groups of chargers, for 72 kW each.

That has since changed (as of two years ago?), and the power is evenly split as soon as the second vehicle plugs in. When the first vehicle drops below 36 kW, the second vehicle will be allocated up to 108 kW.

Note that these are nominal figures that don't take into account battery heating. If your car is heating the battery or using climate control, you could see up to 10 kW less. You could also see less power if some of the chargers in the group that you're using aren't outputting at full capacity. For example, if one of the 12 chargers in the cabinet is malfunctioning, one of the cars will get 12 kW less than nominal. If your car is using 4 kW for climate control and there is one bad charger assigned to you, that would put you at 58 kW.

TL;DR the system is functioning as designed and you aren't being treated differently because you have free unlimited supercharging.
Thank you @Big Earl ..that explains it all. May be it was bad stall. I was using climate control for sure. I feel better now🙏

@Rocky_H What do you disagree with? I am pretty sure I am right, but always happy to be proven wrong :)
Oh, sorry. I realized the wording was confusing on that. I just removed the disagree marker off of it. The 72 kW urban ones are technically sharing from one 150 kW cabinet. It's the same cabinet that the regular V2 ones use. They just have it set up with the fixed upper limit of 72 kW on both sides, so that whoever uses the other side won't affect your charging rate. But I see what you mean in your wording, that it's not the 72 kW that gets divided.

Oh, sorry. I realized the wording was confusing on that. I just removed the disagree marker off of it. The 72 kW urban ones are technically sharing from one 150 kW cabinet. It's the same cabinet that the regular V2 ones use. They just have it set up with the fixed upper limit of 72 kW on both sides, so that whoever uses the other side won't affect your charging rate. But I see what you mean in your wording, that it's not the 72 kW that gets divided.
Makes sense cheers!

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
if (freeSuperCharge)
canScrewThisGuy = 1;

You really are hung up on this conspiracy theory …. But that’s not the case.

There’s plenty of reasons why a Supercharger won’t deliver maximum kW; or in this case, half of maximum kW. Everything from current draw to charging handle temperature can affect it. Lots of factors, exactly none of which involve the payment method (or, lack thereof.)

I’ve got a 2020 X with free Supercharging as well, and routinely see everything from 250kW down to 12kW, and lots in between.

I also have a Model 3 which does NOT have free Supercharging (although I do have referral miles), and get the same behavior.

All normal.

Attachments

• A8109DC0-DA99-44B8-B0A8-FA5E94EAEB65.jpeg
    A8109DC0-DA99-44B8-B0A8-FA5E94EAEB65.jpeg
    480.9 KB · Views: 109
You really are hung up on this conspiracy theory …. But that’s not the case.

There’s plenty of reasons why a Supercharger won’t deliver maximum kW; or in this case, half of maximum kW. Everything from current draw to charging handle temperature can affect it. Lots of factors, exactly none of which involve the payment method (or, lack thereof.)

I’ve got a 2020 X with free Supercharging as well, and routinely see everything from 250kW down to 12kW, and lots in between.

I also have a Model 3 which does NOT have free Supercharging (although I do have referral miles), and get the same behavior.

All normal.
After @Big Earl response I changed my mind. There is no conspiracy here. It is no longer the case that first come car gets the 3/4 capacity. It is 50/50 now.

A few years ago the Supercharger behavior on paired V2 stalls changed, so that the "first car gets priority" rule no longer applies. Power is offered equally to both sides of a stall now. Whether you have free Supercharging or not is irrelevant.

I'm sure many forum posts could be made about what's "fair" or not, but that's the current behavior.

Bruce.

Moderator note: Moved this to the Battery and Charging subforum.

Seems reasonable given that doing so won't change the overall vehicle throughput but it will reduce the one of the cars from charging really fast when another car is sharing the stack. i.e. it will reduce battery degradation from fast charging.

I have a 2016 MX 75D and I was charging at a V3 supercharger on Saturday. I have free lifetime supercharging. I arrived at the Supercharger with 15% range left and charged until the battery reached 56%. The max charging rate I received was 58kWh, I thought that was really strange. Especially being at a V3 charger where someone charging next to you shouldn't matter right?

It was about 88 degrees outside so I couldn't think of any other reason why it would be charging that slow.

I have a 2016 MX 75D and I was charging at a V3 supercharger on Saturday. I have free lifetime supercharging. I arrived at the Supercharger with 15% range left and charged until the battery reached 56%. The max charging rate I received was 58kWh, I thought that was really strange. Especially being at a V3 charger where someone charging next to you shouldn't matter right?

It was about 88 degrees outside so I couldn't think of any other reason why it would be charging that slow.

58 kW (power) in your 75 kWh (energy capacity) car.

For how long had you driven, while navigating to the Supercharger, before plugging in. The battery must be preconditioned in all but the hottest weather.

Did you try a different stall? Sometimes one will have a problem. On Saturday, plugged into a V3 stall that only gave me 26 kW. I moved one over and got 250 kW.

58 kW (power) in your 75 kWh (energy capacity) car.

For how long had you driven, while navigating to the Supercharger, before plugging in. The battery must be preconditioned in all but the hottest weather.

Did you try a different stall? Sometimes one will have a problem. On Saturday, plugged into a V3 stall that only gave me 26 kW. I moved one over and got 250 kW.
Thanks for the Power/Capacity clarification. I did enter the supercharger into the navigation as the destination. I do not recall the car preconditioning for supercharging. I'll have to try another stall next time, the charger was pretty full so I didn't want to change stalls.

I have experienced this before and it was a stall problem. Moved to a different cabinet as well and worked like a charm.

No, you’re not being treated any differently than others that pay for Supercharging.

72kW and 150kW Superchargers are paired, which is why you’ll see them labeled 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, and so on. A and B spaces split power output when both chargers are being used. If there’s only one vehicle charging in two spaces, that vehicle receives 100% of the power output vs. 50%.

This isn’t an issue at 250kW Superchargers. It’s common courtesy to always leave one Supercharger space between you and another vehicle so that both vehicles receive the maximum output available. Of course, that’s not always possible if a Supercharging station is busy, but just be mindful.

I hope that answers your question, and may you enjoy the many Supercharging days you have ahead!
I have seen one 250kW station with ABCD stalls; I assume this shares 250kW between 4. Somewhere in Jersey I think?

Thanks Bruce. That explains the behavior.
Still 58kW didn't look fair to me. It was instantaneous switch to 58kW.
I should have got at least 75kW.

I like the original method.
Give the max possible to the first car arrived and the left over to second one.
This is not a conspiracy against people with free Supercharging.

There are four sets of three 12 kW chargers (12 total for 144 kW nominal output) in each charging cabinet. The first car gets all four sets. When a second car arrives, each car gets two sets. One of the chargers is clearly below spec, hence only getting 130 kW instead of 144 kW when charging alone, and only getting 58 kW instead of 72 kW when paired. Chalk it up to bad luck that you happened to get stuck with the bad charger when that guy paired with you.