Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla S P85d nightmare. I don't think I ever want another tesla ever again and want to get rid of this junk asap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness, these aren't maintenance costs. Though I'll absolutely agree that NO car is maintenance free, Tesla's really do require much less maintenance than the average ICE car. No oil changes, no transmission fluid flushes, severely reduced brake maintenance (thanks to regen braking the average user probably won't have to replace pads/rotors in the car's lifetime), no spark plugs, no timing belt/chain, etc. Tires, wipers/wiper fluid, and maybe brake fluid flushes are about it unless you're talking very long term ownership. Given how often I use the brakes I probably wouldn't even bother with fluid flushes until I hit 4 years or more. DOT 3/4 fluids are hygroscopic, of course, but the fluid will still work just fine unless you're doing REALLY heavy braking (cycling brakes repeatedly/heavy snubs). Not that I'd take it to the track like that, but if I ever did I'd be doing a full brake system overhaul anyway (including hi-temp fluids).

I digress, but I'm seeing a lot of folks conflating car maintenance with car repairs in this thread, but these are very different things.

To OP: I'm sorry to hear about your issues with Tesla. When it comes to reliability, I've found them to be pretty average if not sligtly worse than average among the other makes I've owned. It sure sounds like you got one that's been ragged on pretty hard. As another poster said, if you have any documentation at all of their assurance that it had never been in an accident, I'd at least seek legal advice to find out what your recourse is (provided you can be certain that it WAS in an accident). I'm guessing you may be out of luck if you have nothing in writing, especially with a clean carfax on the car. They can probably hide behind that unless you can show some other way that they would have had knowledge of the accident. Can't hurt to look into it, though.
Fair enough. I will admit that “maintenance” costs are low. But repair costs are easily 4x that of an ICE vehicle when something goes wrong.

Reactions: Pandas752
Yeah another Elon's lies got someone. EVs aren't cheaper to maintain and operate. Like other have said, it is more convenient because you do less of the maintenance, but each one will cost you an arm and a leg. Petrol vehicles just mean you have to take it in more for maintenance, but each one will be lower cost.

Same things goes with fueling EVs vs Petrol cars. Petrols cars you need to take it more often. EVs is more convenient when you can just fuel at home. Cost-wise, at least in expensive CA, is cheaper, but only if you fuel up during non-peak hours and are on Time of use (TOU) plan. Otherwise it will cost you the same or more for fueling up the EVs.

I think we just need to get away from the myth and false facts that EVs are cheaper to own and operate. EVs are more convenient to own and operate.

Yeah another Elon's lies got someone. EVs aren't cheaper to maintain and operate. Like other have said, it is more convenient because you do less of the maintenance, but each one will cost you an arm and a leg. Petrol vehicles just mean you have to take it in more for maintenance, but each one will be lower cost.

Same things goes with fueling EVs vs Petrol cars. Petrols cars you need to take it more often. EVs is more convenient when you can just fuel at home. Cost-wise, at least in expensive CA, is cheaper, but only if you fuel up during non-peak hours and are on Time of use (TOU) plan. Otherwise it will cost you the same or more for fueling up the EVs.

I think we just need to get away from the myth and false facts that EVs are cheaper to own and operate. EVs are more convenient to own and operate.
What EV maintenance costs more? Do you mean the "check the ..." stuff they try to get people to do?

What EV maintenance costs more? Do you mean the "check the ..." stuff they try to get people to do?
Yes in addition to those "check this and that," Brake pad replacement Tesla push for their recommend service for model S/X. The fluid change also base on their recommended service. And most of these you have to do at Tesla. Also a lot of the little stuff like screen leakage, axles issues, door handles, charge port doors, lights, and countless others which, again, if you don't do yourself, will cost you dearly at the Tesla service center. And I haven't even mentioned the big stuff like motor, charger, and battery issues that might be an issue now that some Teslas are out of warranty.

Update: tesla said they never received a key when my car was towed to them and the tow guy said he dropped it off in the drop box. Tesla didn't tell me it didn't come with a key until I drove to their service center today to collect my car (I live an hour away from the service center)

I can't sell the car or get it appraised elsewhere without the key

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread title:

"I don't think I ever want another tesla ever again and want to get rid of this junk"​

*sigh* I didn't outright say I was mad at tesla, and as a general whole, I'm not mad at tesla because it's not their fault. I'm frustrated with the crappy car I got and don't want to experience tesla service ever again especially when I live far from the service center
You want to sell the car for top dollars $65k the first photo is the photo of the wet car? The rest of the photos in the listing suck. My 6 years old can probably can take better photos for ebay listing. Man, you don't even include some shots of the interior. Take a look at carvana and see now they position the car in the photos. List more relevant details such as imperfections, max range when charge to 90% - 90% instead of needing money to buy the house... blah blah. Most importantly: don't tell people that the car is in better shape than when you bought it.
You're exactly the type of person who makes me not want a tesla and why I had reservations posting here. I could upload more pictures and details if it wasn't in service constantly. Maybe your 6 year old can help you understand proper grammar

I never supercharged it so I don't know anything how well it supercharges

Try the online buying websites like Carvana to get quick offers. Try a few. Just takes a few minutes. Some people get very lucky…
Yeah sites like vroom are low ball offers. Vroom offered me $18,000 carvana and other sites offered not much more than what tesla is offering(50k). I already had offers that were almost (60k) on eBay motors, but I just want what I spent back. And who knows maybe I'll accept one of them. I had an appointment today to take it to a dealership that's offering me $5,000 over KBB but I can't sell it without the key that was lost by tesla or the tow

Yeah sites like vroom are low ball offers. Vroom offered me $18,000 carvana offered not much more than what tesla is offering. I had an appointment today to take it to a dealership that's offering me $5,000 over KBB but I can't sell it without the key that was lost
I really wonder if you could somehow get info about whether Tesla ever told the former owner about some problems and gave him or her an estimate on how much it would cost to fix. If it turns out that they did, then the former owner lied to APX, or APX lied to you. Regardless of which is the case, you'd need to sue APX for the amount of money this has cost you, since you had the transaction with them. If the former owner lied to APX, then APX should then turn around and sue the former owner, but that's outside the bounds of who's responsible to you, which is solely APX.

I really wonder if you could somehow get info about whether Tesla ever told the former owner about some problems and gave him or her an estimate on how much it would cost to fix. If it turns out that they did, then the former owner lied to APX, or APX lied to you. Regardless of which is the case, you'd need to sue APX for the amount of money this has cost you, since you had the transaction with them. If the former owner lied to APX, then APX should then turn around and sue the former owner, but that's outside the bounds of who's responsible to you, which is solely APX.
It sounds like it was a leased car since carfax said only apx owned the car and the auto checker on eBay said it was leased. It wasn't disclosed to me that it was a leased vehicle

Sorry about your cat, but wow, this thread… let me count the mistakes you made:
  1. Bought from APX Brokers - a 5 second Google search would tell you they have 2.5 stars on Yelp from 60 reviews.
  2. Bought an expensive used car sight unseen.
  3. Didn’t understand what clean title meant.
  4. Didn’t understand how warranty coverage works.
  5. Didn’t do the research to set the right expectations with maintenance costs.
  6. Thought low miles meant newish parts.
  7. Bought a used 7-year old car with, or maybe without, knowing the SC was an hour away.
  8. Poopoo’ed on someone giving you constructive criticism about your car listing. Pretty sure you would’ve gotten this response, probably much nastier ones, at any other car forum.
The key theme here is you didn’t do your due diligence, and you can only blame yourself for this. This could have happened with any used car at Tesla’s price point.

1. Bought from APX Brokers - a 5 second Google search would tell you they have 2.5 stars on Yelp from 60 reviews.
  7. Bought a used 7-year old car with, or maybe without, knowing the SC was an hour away.
  8. Poopoo’ed on someone giving you constructive criticism about your car listing. Pretty sure you would’ve gotten this response, probably much nastier ones, at any other car forum.
The key theme here is you didn’t do your due diligence, and you can only blame yourself for this. This could have happened with any used car at Tesla’s price point.
Uh I never said I was being smart but I did put research into it. When did I say I didn't know the SC was an hour away? The Google reviews are apx is over 4 stars. Who uses yelp anymore? Surely not the majority of people going to apx. And guess what? The majority of tesla owners say they don't spend money or spend very little on service for their cars even if they have a 2012 or 2013. Find me more threads than not about 2015 teslas that require this much service. So you don't like how I responded to someone calling me dumb? Why should I be nice and fawn over someone being a clear jerk? Why would anyone think a tesla has a 12v battery in it and how would they know that before buying a tesla unless they are a mechanic? Most people don't know that and since there are different batteries and the warranty isn't very clear on which batteries are covered in the 8 year, why would most people know it's not covered?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220131-202455_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220131-202455_Chrome.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: Arthur31
The Tesla service guy said he was putting in a comment that the tow guy lost my key. Does anyone know where that note would be? I don't see it on my invoice

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220201-054021_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220201-054021_Drive.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20220201-054147_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220201-054147_Tesla.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 74
Remember how I said I purchased the vehicle in MAY 2021? I just looked though those yelp reviews and saw only a handful of 1 stars posted before then about the quality of the cars, looks like a mixed bag before then. So how was I supposed to use that to know they were shady if the majority of the reviews before May 2021 were 5 stars or not 1 stars on poor quality? Looks like the majority of the consistent 1 stars on quality are more recent. None of them are on electric vehicles... Just counted over 25 three + Star reviews before May 2021 and sparingly 10 one stars on quality back then so it would have helped but it is questionable since the majority of people leaving reviews are more negative in almost all situations, yelp isn't used by most people, and the majority were positive back then

In my state, they are operating illegally so I think i can sue them

They have an internal comment system. you can't see it and they won't show you. It does include the full history of the car under previous owners, but they always say no if you ask for a copy...
Ah okay thanks!

And really, thank you everyone. I do appreciate the constructive criticism and the sympathy, just so tired.

I think finding out it was a rental/leased vehicle is the smoking gun because I didn't sign an arbitration agreement and they definitely didn't disclose that or the obvious issues that needed to be repaired. It's possible it has frame damage. I'm talking to lawyers now to see if it's worth checking... And I sent that towing company a certified letter with the invoice for the new key. Hopefully they reimburse me for losing my key because that was really frustrating. Tesla service and sales were very sympathic with me on that and the crazy amount of times it's been in service but it seems to be just because it was a rental/leased vehicle which probably never had maintenance done on it before

APX won't talk to me. I asked them for the service documents months ago, so I think suing them is the way to go. I don't want to stick anyone else with a crap car

What are you going to sue them for? Your ignorance, lack of due diligence, or not performing a pre purchase inspection? You bought a used car AS IS. a SEVEN year old car at that! Unless they demonstrably lied on the ad or provided a written warranty, you have absolutely zero grounds for a lawsuit. Try tweeting elon, maybe he'll help?
LOL why are you so angry?? What they did is literally illegal where I live on multiple grounds... Sounds like you really have some personal issues to sort out and should be sorting out instead of raging at people on the internet

Is this really such a big deal? You took a gamble on a used car, sight unseen. It arrived in worse condition than you hoped. You fixed it, you're out a not insignificant sum but now the car works. And part of the $$$ you've spent is on an MCU2 upgrade that you'd likely have ended up doing anyway.

Obviously if there is 'frame damage' as suggested in an earlier post, or something else that renders the car unsafe, that's a different proposition. But maybe it's time to suck it up, move on and enjoy the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.