Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Transformation - Radar and Laser Integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A quick follow-up.

Just tested my install against a laser gun (I believe it was a prolaser III - the most common gun in Washington State but also not the "toughest" to jam).

I was jamming all the way to the gun with no punch-through both in the front and the rear. We tried targeting both center and the headlights. Regardless of how you set-up the interior, I highly recommend a properly installed ALP system.

Tomorrow I will try to add another picture of my front sensor install as they are practically invisible.

in 20 years of driving I have not gotten $3500 worth of tickets. I've never understood why people spend this kind of money for this

It's not just the tickets themselves. Insurance surcharges for 3 to 5 years for just one point can really add up to thousands of dollars.

In the 90's, I had one ticket for speeding on the Mass Pike (on an otherwise perfect record), that somehow due to a change in surcharge laws, the ticket stayed on my record for 5 years instead of the normal 3 (I tried to fight it, but lost). That was easily $2000 of surcharges right there, if not more. And for each point you get, the surcharges go up significantly.

In my case for my MS, I bought the Bell STiR+ used on ebay for $900 (including the laser shifters) and paid about the same for installation. It's already saved my ass a number of times, well worth the investment.

Right after I got my Model S and before I had a radar detector, I was pulled over for going 45 in a 25. The ticket was I think in the $200 range. I had to hire a lawyer for $500 who got it knocked down to a non-moving violation "Parking on Pavement" and $175 ticket. So right there, having the RD would have saved me $700.

MA speeding tickets are very expensive.... A number of years back it used to be $10/mile over the limit + surcharge (I was doing 65 in a 45 somewhere in MA, and that was a $250 ticket). Down here? it's much cheaper to speed ;).

I have had jammers and radar detectors in my car for over 10 years. The value is less about dollars spent and more about the comfort that I am able to fully enjoy my car. Unfortunately moving violations cost much more than just the fine so I view the equipment as an additional insurance policy (against the insurance companies :smile:). Just like all other insurance, how many you *need* is a personal decision.

yes, each "speeding ticket" in Massachusetts is "the gift that keeps on giving", besides the $150-250 actual ticket, we have SDIP (Safe Driver Insurance Program), which at first you just lose your discount, then you start paying surcharges with additional moving violations. get too many moving violations? they'll revoke your license. the SDIP points take 6 years from the incident date to "go away", so it can be quite expensive for a long time.

I think the other real benefit of having this is that you and your family are not harassed when out of state. I'm more concerned about being pulled over and all the intimidation that goes with it than the actual cost of the ticket. If it costs $3,500 to receive warning that they are trying to lock onto me and I slow down 15-20 mph and stop the jamming so they can get a reading and I go my own way without harassment by the police I'd consider that $3,500 money well spent.

I wish they'd target people who are tailgating, cutting people off, and driving recklessly than someone driving safely just a bit over the limit. Unfortunately it is common knowledge that some out of the way jurisdictions are actually supported to a great extent with revenue from tickets they give to people who are really not a danger to themselves or others.

I'm definitely going to look into having a laser shifter and radar jammer package installed.

Question for you. Is that power button reset button do the same thing as the power button on the control module. Reason I'm asking is that is how you have to update the firmware is by having the detector off and press and hold the power and mute buttons on the control module.

Yes - it is exactly for allowing firmware updates (they rewired the push button from the control unit to the armrest location). Systems Unlimited made it clear that that button could not be "buried".

That is why I have two power buttons - the toggle is a universal kill switch (turns on/off both the laser jammer and the detector) and the other button is a push button that you can hold down to do firmware updates (or turn just the radar detector off).

Would I be correct in assuming that this type of jamming would also interfere with Tesla and other semi-autonomous driving vehicles that are using radar to track the distance to the car in front of them? For oncoming traffic the severity of that interference would depend on the jammer's range and whether or not the affected car was following a very slow vehicle that they couldn't pass. Probably wouldn't matter for the car behind you as long as you never braked for something unexpected in the road.

It will not. The radar detector is just a detector not a jammer. The good ones will filter out most of the cars radar signals. Police use radar guns at certain bands and that is what the detector does. The laser jammer will actively jam the laser gun, but our cars do not have lasers on them. It may be interesting when laser lights come out.

The ALP system reads what type of LIDAR gun it's being hit with. Therefore, it shouldn't false from laser like other systems. A quote from Radar Roy:

"Radar Roy dubs the AntiLaser Priority System the laser jammer with a brain, because the ALP system utilizes a pulse rate-matching algorithm instead of a database look-up table to identify laser threats.

Because of this the AntiLaser Priority System is able to jam ALL KNOWN POLICE LIDAR Guns, including the Dragon Eye."

The ALP system reads what type of LIDAR gun it's being hit with. Therefore, it shouldn't false from laser like other systems. A quote from Radar Roy:

"Radar Roy dubs the AntiLaser Priority System the laser jammer with a brain, because the ALP system utilizes a pulse rate-matching algorithm instead of a database look-up table to identify laser threats.

Because of this the AntiLaser Priority System is able to jam ALL KNOWN POLICE LIDAR Guns, including the Dragon Eye."

This is why i bought the ALP