Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My two biggest problems with the cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We won't know what the inverter can do until it comes out, but the motors draw like 250kW (ludicrous is like 1000AMPS) at 480V. Isn't that like, 500+ AMPS? A nice MIG only needs about 60Amps. Did I do that math right?

That's a somewhat specific use case, I don't think it's a large portion. Most of the guys I know who own trucks just throw *sugar* in the back or go camping. Hell, both of them have camper shells. One does have a Lance on his though.

You are correct. I’m the only person I know who has a half ton who tows a trailer. Most people I know with half tons just use them to load a few small bits and pieces like a bag of grass seed or a wheel barrow full of logs and they suddenly thick they are pushing the truck to its limits. A Prius would work for what most 1/2 ton drivers use them for. Even a 2 horse trailer is not all under 6k lbs which is less than half the capacity of a Cybertruck. A a ford ranger could handle that. It can handle a 3 horse trailer. It’s more to do with mileage than tow capacity which is why I’m curious about the poster running a 5th wheel on a 1/2ton.

this is where Tesla will have an issue when people who don’t really have a clue what they are talking about bash the truck when they know nothing about trucks.

You not loading heavy sheet without someone reaching over the side.

But anyways, this isn't a contractors truck. The Honda ridgeline sold poorly in part because of the same slopped sides. I don't think the people who actually will buy the cybertruck will care much about reaching over the sides. It's more of an SUV for people who don't care about a third row and want a more rugged area behind the second row. Cybertruck is really an anti Model X/Y.

Few actual contractors would be brave enough to show up on a job site with this vehicle.
I am confused as I have hauled a lot of plywood and sheetrock in trucks and we alway slide then over the tail gate. Going over the side is a sure way to wrench one's back.

I’m pretty sure the motors are DC so battery -> motor wouldn’t go through an inverter.

Now don’t quote me but I think they are actually AC is conversion wise the limiting factor in any output from the battery would be cable size. But at a absolute minumum I expect them to at least add a 20amp 120v or 15amp 220v circuit. Now if it’s true what I hear about being able to charge other vehicles then the sky’s the limit on output.

This is the whole deal of people who think they know what they are doing who ain’t got the first clue. The only times I see plywood loaded from the side is from 18 wheelers or panel vans. Rarely even done on low bed trailers because the wheel arches get in the way. My suppliers won’t load them from anywhere but the rear too so you wouldn’t even have the option of loading from the side. Who even does that. I would like to see a video of this.

Many 5th wheel campers are 8-10k lbs GVW, single axel goose neck horse trailers are in the same range, a bobcat on a gooseneck and many other smaller contractor equipment is also within this weight range. All are regularly pulled with 1/2 ton trucks.

makes me also think what about a plow blade? How in the world would you attach one? It’s not a body on frame so unless it came with mounts underneath or you did some major fabrication, no way.
You know Elon presented it as the truck of trucks and function over form but I’m starting to think he may be way off there.

there’s a reason you don’t see half tons plowing. For one the frames ain’t strong enough and they don’t have the weight required for grip or momentum.

I tow a 7.5k trailer very often and I can tell you know anything over that in the 5k dual axle range loaded is not something you want to be towing with a half ton no matter if it’s a goose or ball. They may have massive tow capacity but when you tow them same loads with a 3/4 or 1 ton it’s a totally different animal. Can you do it yes but is it a good idea no. When the trailer weights more than the vehicle it’s not any fun and a stressful trip.

there’s a reason you don’t see half tons plowing. For one the frames ain’t strong enough and they don’t have the weight required for grip or momentum.

I tow a 7.5k trailer very often and I can tell you know anything over that in the 5k dual axle range loaded is not something you want to be towing with a half ton no matter if it’s a goose or ball. They may have massive tow capacity but when you tow them same loads with a 3/4 or 1 ton it’s a totally different animal. Can you do it yes but is it a good idea no. When the trailer weights more than the vehicle it’s not any fun and a stressful trip.
Almost every small operation plow service driving newer trucks up here in Alaska is driving 1/2 tons. The 10+ year old ones are 3/4 and the new ones are almost all f150 and tundra.

I pull a 28’ ~7k camper 6-8k miles a summer all over Alaska every weekend and up above the arctic circle on the haul road over the brooks every fall for our annual goat/sheep/caribou hunt. l pull it with a Lexus LX570 (Aka Land cruiser). It’s a double box frame (but technically 1/2 ton) with the 5.7

but it’s different practices in different parts. Go on an airstream forum am look at how heated it gets about what you need to tow a 27’. Some will insist nothing less than a 1 ton, others will argue you can do it just fine with a unibody grand Cherokee.

Last edited:
Great design for carrying ladders and should not effect range at all. Should fit a 12' with no problems based on the measurements. I mocked up a photo to scale with a 12' and 8ft on top of it.... Rivian and ever other EV on the market will be effect due to the drag created.
Tesla truck.png

Almost every small operation plow service driving newer trucks up here in Alaska is driving 1/2 tons. The 10+ year old ones are 3/4 and the new ones are almost all f150 and tundra.

I pull a 28’ ~7k camper 6-8k miles a summer all over Alaska every weekend and up above the arctic circle on the haul road over the brooks every fall for our annual goat/sheep/caribou hunt. l pull it with a Lexus LX570 (Aka Land cruiser). It’s a double box frame (but technically 1/2 ton) with the 5.7

but it’s different practices in different parts. Go on an airstream forum am look at how heated it gets about what you need to tow a 27’. Some will insist nothing less than a 1 ton, others will argue you can do it just fine with a unibody grand Cherokee.

7K is more than doable with a half ton. But those plow guys probably having to load up a couple K lbs in salt to get the weight they need for traction. But 1/2ton frames are massively different to 3/4+ tons and the front suspension alone is not upto it either.

plows destroy trucks. Have you ever been in one. It’s no fun doing that all night in a big truck let alone a 1/2 ton.

7K is more than doable with a half ton. But those plow guys probably having to load up a couple K lbs in salt to get the weight they need for traction. But 1/2ton frames are massively different to 3/4+ tons and the front suspension alone is not upto it either.

plows destroy trucks. Have you ever been in one. It’s no fun doing that all night in a big truck let alone a 1/2 ton.
I plowed for/with my uncle growing up. Let alone that was a long time ago but we used 3/4 ton. And I’m for real up here the vast majority are driving Tundras after that F150

Last edited:
How do you load long objects like plywood or drywall without sliding them in from the rear amd damaging them? Normally you have a second helper and load it from the side. There's no way to side load anything with the current design.

Also, how do you see out the front? The low slope of the windshield means the A-pillar will be huge/long. I have to imagine that will give very poor visibility out of the front.

You simply drop the tailgate and extend the ramp and then walk them up and into the bed.

we will see, an ac motor in a tesla can deal with very choppy ac wave form (to the point of being a square wave) with no ill effect...
The inverter in a Tesla is incredibly precise. It adjusts amplitude, frequency, phase in real time to manipulate the motor magnetic and electric fields that enable the response we all love. My point is: If there is one company who knows how to make outstanding power electronics, it’s Tesla. That’s their bread and butter. No way will they provide a crap inverter for the 240 outlet on the truck.

we will see, an ac motor in a tesla can deal with very choppy ac wave form (to the point of being a square wave) with no ill effect...

While motors will run with horrible waveforms they don't do it without ill effect. Bad waveforms create extra heat. My understanding is it is also hard on the bearings. Not sure if the issue with the bearing is because the uneven drive of a square wave vs a sine wave or if it has something to to do with the square wave causing current to be induced in parts.