Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My two biggest problems with the cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The suspension spec is quoted:

Suspension: 4” in either direction

Still does that mean it can lower to a minimum height of 4" from the ground?

I would say no it can't go to just 4" from the ground. It will go up and down 4" from the normal ride height. I think they said it had 16" of ground clearance assuming that is at max height that would be 8" when it is at the lowest. And that is 8 inch of ground clearance not the bed height.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce and Tam
8’ with the tail gate down for easy handling of 4x8 sheets.
You not loading heavy sheet without someone reaching over the side.

But anyways, this isn't a contractors truck. The Honda ridgeline sold poorly in part because of the same slopped sides. I don't think the people who actually will buy the cybertruck will care much about reaching over the sides. It's more of an SUV for people who don't care about a third row and want a more rugged area behind the second row. Cybertruck is really an anti Model X/Y.

Few actual contractors would be brave enough to show up on a job site with this vehicle.

How do you load long objects like plywood or drywall without sliding them in from the rear amd damaging them? Normally you have a second helper and load it from the side. There's no way to side load anything with the current design.

Also, how do you see out the front? The low slope of the windshield means the A-pillar will be huge/long. I have to imagine that will give very poor visibility out of the front.

I load plywood into my truck which has the same size bed everyday. I leave the gate close, lift the plywood onto it from the rear and let it slide in. Sometimes the first be need to be bumped once or twice to get it tight to the cab but all the subsequent ones slide right in. If I am worried about scratches to the plywood I simply throw a piece of carpet over the top of the gate. I can load about 10 sheets of 3/4” plywood in 3 minutes or so and I am old.

I’m not a big fan of windshields with big slants so that will take some getting used to for me.

I would say no it can't go to just 4" from the ground. It will go up and down 4" from the normal ride height. I think they said it had 16" of ground clearance assuming that is at max height that would be 8" when it is at the lowest. And that is 8 inch of ground clearance not the bed height.

It's going to have to squat down a bit to fit in a standard american garage.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Ok so I reserved one but my biggest issues not mentioned above. First why a crappy air suspension? Ok for street cars but suck off road for numerous reasons. Second: I really hope if has viewable 360 cameras like my LX570 but with no side view mirrors how will I add tow mirror extenders? To be able to see around my camper? Also with 14k lb capacity, 5th wheel capability? Finally, winch? I can’t even think of how you would attach or wire on in.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
A large portion of pick up truck owners need a trailer ball in the bed for fifth wheel towing. I do. My horse trailer couldn't be used with this truck, as the sloped sides will hit the front end of the trailer on tight turns.

This pushes me to the Rivian or the new Ford (when it comes out) for my next pick up purchase

Reactions: Eclectic
I load plywood into my truck which has the same size bed everyday. I leave the gate close, lift the plywood onto it from the rear and let it slide in. Sometimes the first be need to be bumped once or twice to get it tight to the cab but all the subsequent ones slide right in. If I am worried about scratches to the plywood I simply throw a piece of carpet over the top of the gate. I can load about 10 sheets of 3/4” plywood in 3 minutes or so and I am old.

I’m not a big fan of windshields with big slants so that will take some getting used to for me.
I will say that the extended windshield is probably my favorite feature of my Model X. If you’re even moderately tall it’s great to have that visibility rather than the gunslit views from normal vehicles.

A large portion of pick up truck owners need a trailer ball in the bed for fifth wheel towing. I do. My horse trailer couldn't be used with this truck, as the sloped sides will hit the front end of the trailer on tight turns.

This pushes me to the Rivian or the new Ford (when it comes out) for my next pick up purchase

I’m curious why are you using a 5th wheel on a 1/2 ton. Everyone I know using a 5th for horses uses a 3/4 at an absolute minimum. I have never seen a 5th wheel on a 1/2 ton. A 2-5/16” ball is good for upto 30k lbs so way beyond what a 1/2 ton can handle.

You sure the needed amperage is there?

We won't know what the inverter can do until it comes out, but the motors draw like 250kW (ludicrous is like 1000AMPS) at 480V. Isn't that like, 500+ AMPS? A nice MIG only needs about 60Amps. Did I do that math right?

That's a somewhat specific use case, I don't think it's a large portion. Most of the guys I know who own trucks just throw *sugar* in the back or go camping. Hell, both of them have camper shells. One does have a Lance on his though.

I’m curious why are you using a 5th wheel on a 1/2 ton. Everyone I know using a 5th for horses uses a 3/4 at an absolute minimum. I have never seen a 5th wheel on a 1/2 ton. A 2-5/16” ball is good for upto 30k lbs so way beyond what a 1/2 ton can handle.
Many 5th wheel campers are 8-10k lbs GVW, single axel goose neck horse trailers are in the same range, a bobcat on a gooseneck and many other smaller contractor equipment is also within this weight range. All are regularly pulled with 1/2 ton trucks.

makes me also think what about a plow blade? How in the world would you attach one? It’s not a body on frame so unless it came with mounts underneath or you did some major fabrication, no way.
You know Elon presented it as the truck of trucks and function over form but I’m starting to think he may be way off there.

Not everyone that owns a truck needs to haul a 24,000 lb goose-neck trailer over the continental divide.

We won't know what the inverter can do until it comes out, but the motors draw like 250kW (ludicrous is like 1000AMPS) at 480V. Isn't that like, 500+ AMPS? A nice MIG only needs about 60Amps. Did I do that math right?

That's a somewhat specific use case, I don't think it's a large portion. Most of the guys I know who own trucks just throw *sugar* in the back or go camping. Hell, both of them have camper shells. One does have a Lance on his though.
I’m pretty sure the motors are DC so battery -> motor wouldn’t go through an inverter.