Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My two biggest problems with the cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any rumours on what size the OBC will be? Something like the previously available 72 amp or dual 40’s. Big battery like that it might be nice to have some reasonably quick AC charging available.
I hope the Triple has two charge ports. I have two 80 AMP HPWC at home, and on the road that would shorten charge times for the larger battery pack..

I bet they go with dual 40AMP chargers.... dual 72's would be a nice upgrade.

Reactions: doghousePVD
I hope the Triple has two charge ports. I have two 80 AMP HPWC at home, and on the road that would shorten charge times for the larger battery pack..

I bet they go with dual 40AMP chargers.... dual 72's would be a nice upgrade.

I know dual 40's are nice to have! Screenshot_20191121-223418.png

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
How is it any different from the majority of pickups sold today? Four doors and a short box. Walk onto any dealership and try to find a 4 door long box. You will load drywall just like everone else does. With the tailgate down the bed will be 8 feet long and it will fully support the drywall

Yeah, I was too harsh on the functionality. The point I should have made is that I think the Cybertruck will sell best to tweeners, not workers. By tweeners I mean people who would consider either a pickup or an SUV. I've owner two pickups and several SUVs as non-primary vehicles. I can go either way. I particularly like having a pickup when I'm doing a lot of landscaping projects. I also see jeep owners going for cybertruck. Few people need a jeep, they want a flexible truckish vehicle. So why not a vehicle with a bed?

But I don't see many tradespeople lining up for the cybertruck, so I don't see it as a major subcontractor vehicle.

Plus I don't believe that it is a vehicle that can be made at the price points announced in a two year time frame. It is too big.

All this talk about 5th wheels has me wondering about the battery location/size. Are we assuming the battery will reside between the wheel wells like our cars? I assumed the battery would extend at least partially thru the bed to get the extended range thing. Could complicate subbed reenforcement to support the 5th wheel ball.
That problem was solved by slanting the sides so high that a 5th wheel cannot be used anyway. :)

Reactions: DMC-Orangeville
German authorities state that the Cybertruck’s structure is too rigid and therefore does not provide occupants with the mandatory safety. Furthermore, the rigid body panels are a nightmare when it comes to pedestrian protection.
Tesla Cybertruck Too Unsafe To Be Sold In Europe, German Authorities Say | Carscoops
It's pretty funny how they are making assumptions about the performance of a vehicle that won't be out for 2 years and with very little information on the design. Of course the vehicle will have to be designed to absorb impact forces. Tesla is not going to release a vehicle to the public that is a death trap in an accident.

German authorities state that the Cybertruck’s structure is too rigid and therefore does not provide occupants with the mandatory safety. Furthermore, the rigid body panels are a nightmare when it comes to pedestrian protection.
Tesla Cybertruck Too Unsafe To Be Sold In Europe, German Authorities Say | Carscoops

Yes, that was something I was wondering about as well. Obviously you need crumple zones in the front of the car. However the article is a bit arrogant in that they don't seem to allow for any possibility of Tesla figuring this out in 2 years. Tesla is the company that crows about how safe their cars are. You think they wouldn't realize the need for crumple zones?? Obviously the front will be designed with more than simple steel plates to allow for crash absorption.

Yes, that was something I was wondering about as well. Obviously you need crumple zones in the front of the car. However the article is a bit arrogant in that they don't seem to allow for any possibility of Tesla figuring this out in 2 years. Tesla is the company that crows about how safe their cars are. You think they wouldn't realize the need for crumple zones?? Obviously the front will be designed with more than simple steel plates to allow for crash absorption.

BTW, IF the Cybertruck has a falcon wing moment (ie. the reason the Model X was delayed was design of the falcon wings - they had to go to plan B), it will be designing the crumple zone. It isn't intuitively obvious (at least to my poor brain) how to make that truck safe for occupants in a cost effective manner. I believe Elon/Tesla are completely up to the challenge, but it might indeed be challenging.

BTW, IF the Cybertruck has a falcon wing moment (ie. the reason the Model X was delayed was design of the falcon wings - they had to go to plan B), it will be designing the crumple zone. It isn't intuitively obvious (at least to my poor brain) how to make that truck safe for occupants in a cost effective manner. I believe Elon/Tesla are completely up to the challenge, but it might indeed be challenging.

Could it be as simple as scoring the back of the SS but not folding it to make a crumple zone? (Since they said they had to score it for the folds they are making.)

Seems to me one solution could be to have the frunk lid and front fender panels slide towards the rear (over the windshield and doors) on frontal impact instead of crumbling in place. The frunk lid is already detached so it likely isn’t structural. And the fender panels could be designed to break away from any sub-structure in place, even if part of the exoskeleton.