Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My two biggest problems with the cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
THAT is a John Deere garden tractor! It's NOT a Bobcat! What anger? Your thread jack is just that; yours! Almost anything except for grass and leaves in that bucket is likely to dump that tractor/bucket configuration.

The OP wants to ONLY load plywood and drywall from the side!?! It's a moot debate point, almost as useless as an oil change debate.

You are basing a debate on photos of something you do not have, and a truck you have ZERO plans of buying! It's hilarious that your point against the BUILT design, keeps moving with different reasoning. Keep your Chevy, recall your CT deposit so an actual buyer can get in! Please! There, no anger, there is actual civility in asking "PLEASE!"

You're really this triggered/surprised because people load stuff in the bed from the side?

Even when loading trash, I need side access to move it so as to fit as much as possible in the bed.

Reactions: jkeyser14
You simply drop the tailgate and extend the ramp and then walk them up and into the bed.

So you walk over and break your drywall sheets to load more? One of the reasons to have someone walk an end along the side of the vehicle is so they can lower the sheet gently onto the sheet below without scratching it. Same goes for furniture grade plywood that is $60 a sheet and has thin delicate face ply's. A scratch will ruin a sheet and make it useless for building stain grade cabinets and furniture.

So you walk over and break your drywall sheets to load more? One of the reasons to have someone walk an end along the side of the vehicle is so they can lower the sheet gently onto the sheet below without scratching it. Same goes for furniture grade plywood that is $60 a sheet and has thin delicate face ply's. A scratch will ruin a sheet and make it useless for building stain grade cabinets and furniture.

Wow, you don't know how to load/move drywall or plywood, do you? Stunning.

He specifically said that the truck on the video was the one on stage. And earlier he said that was thick was the LR and the LR truck he said has 3 motors. Also a 4wd F150 has power sent from one motor to all 4 wheels, Not one in the front and one in the back. And for the most part in a tug a war mass wins every time so 1000-2000 lbs more is a huge advantage.

The guy giving all the test rides clearly stated several times that the truck was a dual-motor version. Your one engine comment is meaningless as there are two driveshafts driving two differentials, both of which drive only one wheel once one whee” starts to slip, making the F150 effectively a 2wd truck, one front wheel and one rear wheel, whichever two wheels have the LEAST amount of traction.

Reactions: Electruck
If you must absolutely tow a 5th wheel with your CyberTruck, just get a tow dolly:

post-1759-1185210621.jpg

If you must absolutely tow a 5th wheel with your CyberTruck, just get a tow dolly:

post-1759-1185210621.jpg
Is that legal in Ca.? Its not like weight is a problem with the CT, but I'm sure efficiency would take a hit.
I'm actually ok with the CT not setup for a 5th wheel. I can't tow one with my current half ton ( short bed) and anyone who really wants to tow a 5th should probably get a solid axle I guess. I'm buying it because I'm hoping it does 98% of the things I need it for really well, I'll rent the other 2%.

The guy giving all the test rides clearly stated several times that the truck was a dual-motor version. Your one engine comment is meaningless as there are two driveshafts driving two differentials, both of which drive only one wheel once one whee” starts to slip, making the F150 effectively a 2wd truck, one front wheel and one rear wheel, whichever two wheels have the LEAST amount of traction.
You don’t know what you are talking about. Open diffs don’t really work that way unless it’s a very basic system and one wheel is off the ground and only if there is no form of traction control or simulated locker. And really a duel motor tesla functions the same way since it’s a motor on each end attached to a open diff, with no traction control all the power can go to the wheel on each axle with the least traction. And They were on the road so there shouldn’t have been drastic differences in traction from one side of the vehicle to the othe. Some f150’s come with a rear locker as well like the raptor.

You don’t know what you are talking about. Open diffs don’t really work that way unless it’s a very basic system and one wheel is off the ground and only if there is no form of traction control or simulated locker. And really a duel motor tesla functions the same way since it’s a motor on each end attached to a open diff, with no traction control all the power can go to the wheel on each axle with the least traction. And They were on the road so there shouldn’t have been drastic differences in traction from one side of the vehicle to the othe. Some f150’s come with a rear locker as well like the raptor.

I wouldn't buy a truck here in MN without a limited slip rear differential which is an option on all major truck brands (limited slip is different than a locking diff, though). I wouldn't buy a 2wd, but if you are buying 2wd, you definitely want the limited slip.

It would be interesting to know more about the Cybertruck's rear differential.

On top of that is the traction control system.

Maybe you misread what he said but he’s right that’s exactly how open diffs work, you have the traction that the lesser grabby wheel has on each end x2 (on each end). Assuming a locked center diff. You’re also right that with two motors it’s essentially the same thing, because you’re getting equal power to both ends, but then splitting that power between sides, and whichever side has the least traction will be the amount you get for pull, ON BOTH SIDES.
However, on dry pavement that lesser when traction is still a lot!
But in these modern times it’s fair to assume that any new truck will have some sort of brake-based traction system so all bets are off once you throw that into the equation.
The biggest issues with this pull test is, assuming that the f150 is 2wd, is that, plus that the f150 was down hill, plus that the f150 had empty bed. The pull angle on the rope also makes a big difference too, but I can’t tell who had the upper hand there.

I agree it's a terrible design for loading.

I'm surprised people are actually somehow justifying not being able to reach in from the sides - those people have probably never actually used trucks for their intended purposes.

This is the EV version of a Brodozer. It's mostly for show, small projects, and maybe carrying a dirtbike or something.
I’ve loaded a few pickups in my day and rarely over the side. Call it pretty much never if the truck has a lumber rack or is a late model 4wd. Beds and walls have gotten almost ridiculously high. Incidentally, I have seen pickups with aero lumber racks that might work on this thing if modified. Front loader doesn’t look like that much of a problem.

Last edited:
I’ve loaded a few pickups in my day and rarely over the side. Call it pretty much never if the truck has a lumber rack or is a late model 4wd. Beds and walls have gotten almost ridiculously high. Incidentally, I have seen pickups with aero lumber racks that might work on this thing if modified. Front loader doesn’t look like that much of a problem.

Electronic control of wheel spin is so much better with EV that braking the spinning wheel seems to be superior to limited slip. I expect the two motor cybertruck to have usually superior traction to 4wd. Weight is more likely a traction issue rather than wheel spin IMO.

But the primary issue I would have with the cybertruck off road or very rural is fuel, not traction.

side access to tie down objects is necessary. Tesla has those holes in the front corner of the bed for tie downs... you would need a really skinny friend with looooong arms to get to that

Electronic control of wheel spin is so much better with EV that braking the spinning wheel seems to be superior to limited slip. I expect the two motor cybertruck to have usually superior traction to 4wd. Weight is more likely a traction issue rather than wheel spin IMO.

But the primary issue I would have with the cybertruck off road or very rural is fuel, not traction.
The traction of my 2004 MB e 4matic is superior to my model 3 LR AWD. The 3 isn’t bad but it’s not close to the MB or my Lexus LX.

I wonder how they would compare with the same tires. If we are talking about snow traction the difference in tires is remarkable.
My model 3 has better tires. Hakka 9 on the 3 on the 2nd winter. MB has hakka 5 on 7th, LX Hakka 7 on 4th winter. It’s the fact that the 3 is too rear bias and there is a lag between the front and rear motors. The 3 is really good in the snow and ice the other 2 cars (and the Subaru we bought for my mom) are just better, more sure footed, predictable and stable.

The traction of my 2004 MB e 4matic.

Our RWD 2013 Tesla Model S is a superior winter vehicle compared to the Mercedes AWD SUV we traded in for it. Spent money on Nokian Hakka R2’s and 5 winters later they are just on their last winter. Excellent traction and superior electronic control of wheel spin and slip angle. Gas cars control slip with brakes and the control is less refined.