Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My used 2013 P85 came with unlimited supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's accurate statement. Car that old, might have also be traded-in to a third party/non Tesla auto dealer. If Tesla found out a car dealer other than Tesla owned it, they were removing Supercharging. There's a number of ways that cars sold originally with SC lost SC.

Dealers don’t “own” cars because they are not registered by the dealer. There is a place on the title for “assigning” from one dealer to another if they transfer (sell) the car, but it is still not “owned” by anyone until it is sold to an actual buyer- then the title gets replaced with a new one.

But the reports of losing SC access seem to all be anecdotal, while statements direct from the company are that vehicles sold prior to Jan 2017 have unlimited Supercharger that is transferable to all future owners.

We are investigating this right now to see what happens. There is nothing official that I have found anywhere that says a 2013 could lose it, short of being a salvage title vehicle (this isn’t).

As for Tesla taking back a vehicle and selling it used themselves without SC access, that seems exceptionally petty.

This is interesting to me. I bought my S in December 2017 with unlimited free Supercharging and have always thought it would be a nice selling feature someday (same as the FSD I paid for ) but I keep hearing more and more that may not be the case.
really sucks if that’s true.

This is interesting to me. I bought my S in December 2017 with unlimited free Supercharging and have always thought it would be a nice selling feature someday (same as the FSD I paid for ) but I keep hearing more and more that may not be the case.
really sucks if that’s true.
My research suggests that based on when you bought it - after April 2017 - the supercharging MIGHT be transferrable to only the next owner, but not after that. Or it could be not transferrable at all because it is after the cutoff. Everything about 2017 models is murky.

My research suggests that based on when you bought it - after April 2017 - the supercharging MIGHT be transferrable to only the next owner, but not after that. Or it could be not transferrable at all because it is after the cutoff. Everything about 2017 models is murky.
Check my post here: For those with free unlimited supercharging...

I have a quick and dirty way to check the highest probable indicator you have Free Unlimited Supercharging that is transferable.

Cheers!