Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY USED P85D/P90D BUYING EXPERIENCE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK for starters I would like to say thanks to everyone single person who post on TMC!!! If if wasn't for the community a lot of people would be lost in the Tesla world.

Let's get the story started.............

For the past year I have been really interested in Tesla and what they are all about. Fast forward to Sept 2018, I was finally ready to start shopping for a used Tesla Model S P85D. After weeks and weeks of trying to get a call back from a used representative I never received one. After hearing the horror stories of other people shopping experience, I was starting to give up . Until one day I said screw it, I know a way they will call me back I'll put a deposit on a car that fits my must have list(i wasn't worried about the vehicle location I was willing to travel to pick it up). Anyways after I put my deposit down about 4 hours later I received a email and 3 minutes after the email I received a phone call from non other but a used sales rep congratulating me on my purchase.

I told the rep that I live in NY and that I was going to travel to Illinois to pick up the car. After a 10 minute convo I was finally able to view the actual pictures of the vehicle. I was disappointed!! Bad curb rash on wheels, The wheel liner on the driver and passenger side were coming off, rear bumber dent and scratches on the screen. Needless to say I emailed my Sales Advisor and told him I'm going to pass on the car and sent a list of vins that I have been checking daily.Finally I have the attention of a representative.

After my advisor sent me some more pics of the cars that I was interested in. I noticed something odd. There was a listing for a p85d but was badged as a p90d and even the car screen info stated it was a p90d. However when I decoded the Vin it was a P85D. So upon further research I found out the car battery was upgraded to a P90D. A 2015 P85D 22k miles with P90D battery and badges. The better part was the car was located in NY and they will send it to the Mt. Kisco location. So that meant only a 30 minute drive for me.

After I told my advisor of my discovery about the battery he was surprised too. So I had him transfer my initial deposit to this 2015 P90D and scheduled pickup for Monday 10/29. I secured my financing and now patiently waiting for this monday. I must say once it was super hard to get the attention of an advisor if your not spending money . But once you give them some money they reach right out to you . I cannot wait till Monday. I'm hoping everything goes as planned. I will provide an update once I get the vehicle.

Getting their attention with my wallet was my experience too. Of course I didn't have the patience to try for weeks like you did. I gave them a few days and then just went ahead and put a deposit down. The car was in fantastic shape, also at the Mt. Kisco location. Welcome to the cult!

Congrats!

I had a similar buying experience. Had to try 3 times to get a test drive of a new Model S before anyone contacted me. I did get responses to my inquiries about CPO cars that I was interested in, but it typically took 2-3 days each time to get a response.

That said, I picked up my 2016 Model S 70D last week and I couldn't be happier. I picked up the car in Maryland. It has a few scratches and slight rim rash, but overall is in great condition. It was clean when I got it, but there was some dirt under the hood of the frunk, and inside the under floor storage in the hatch. There was also a little bit of tar on the back fenders. I've cleaned those things up myself, and will get the car detailed in about a week.

Looking forward to your update.