Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Wife Doesn't Like Driving my Tesla -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You really need to set up easy entry!!! Moves the seat back to where you set it so easy to get in and out - step on "gas" pedal and it returns everything to your setting (seat, wheel, etc.) It's really a game changer -sooo much more comfortable and no more contortions.

As for the rest - yes it's a step learning curve - things like how to get car into N for car wash, even unlocking the passenger door when picking someone up at the airport can be a challenge the first time! There are so many things that just aren't intuitive - like which menu is the glovebox on and do I go to display or driving to change from miles to percent for battery.

With that said, after a month or so it got easier for me (similar situation to yours), but I don't have/want auto pilot, etc.

My wife is not alone on this. Even though I’m an engineer, I find the Model 3 a lot of work to drive ... and some of the time a real pain in the neck. There’s just so much overhead to have to go through to get this thing, this computer on wheels, on the road.

I have quite a few decades under my belt and I don't remember things as well as in my flaming youth. Plus, I'm retired and don't need to drive every day. Bottom line, it's a complicated thing to drive with all its multi-function controls. I don’t know if I’ll ever develop enough muscle memory to be able to just hop in and drive off.

Compared to sliding into my old Toyota, turning the key and just get going, it's an event to contort my way into the driver's seat, focus on the screen and finger dance around it to do the little things like adjust the cab environment or even just open the glove compartment instead of being able to accomplish most of that by touch; to twist around a time or two to see past the many pieces of the car blocking my vision; and wish I had an AM radio in this expensive car to hear the news on.

Of course, it has its compensations … I love the torque, the quiet (although the tire noise from the low-profile tires at 42 psi intrudes at any speed above crawl), and the shape of the car. I appreciate the clever engineering solutions to minimize weight while delivering safety and driving fun.

Bottom line though, I wish that, on top of the S3XY models, Elon would produce some SMPL ones for the young at heart, but old in all the other parts.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
What could be a possible way to stop her if she was to get in. You'd be running after her?
He has programmed an explosive bolt on the 12 volt battery terminal and poof! Guess you gotta take your car honey...:) My lady thinks that the S is too big for her to handle and is waiting for us to buy a 3. I have not discouraged that thinking as she would be certain to commandeer the S from me. Sometimes knowing when to stay silent is good!

I have to wake up every morning and watch my wife get in her own car or my Model 3 might go missing for the day. - Jesse
The worst thing that happens to me is the Model 3 disappears and I have to take the Roadster instead. (We have limited parking space so usually the 3 blocks in the Roadster...)

I don't think there is much the OP can do.

Some individuals just get set in their ways, and it's hard for them to adapt to things that are different.

Sure Tesla incorporates a few things to make the transition easier like creep mode, reducing regen, and heck even chill mode. But, at the end of the day some people simply like things more mechanical.

If I was the OP I'd simply accept that, and get her something the opposite of a Tesla. I like having my ICE car be the polar opposite of the Tesla.

For tall people, quite often the mirrors don’t move far enough to eliminate the blind spot.
Your definition of tall people would be? I am a little over 6'2".............I'd say I was 6'2 1/2" but that would sound like a small child claiming to be 5 1/2 years old or an old person saying, "I'm 91 1/2 years old." Must be something with the psyche that a human has to interject 1/2 years when they are very young or very old? :p

Some people just hate any change.
There are people that hate to upgrade their home computer or iPhone because it is a hassle to change and learn new things.
"I like it the old way". Change happens whether you like it or not. People dropped land lines and went to cell phones after a few years.
They finally got over it and realize it is more convenient. Same will be true with electric vehicles. They are just better. No noise, no emissions, less fuel costs and less maintenance costs. Unless you like wasting money on fossil fuels and polluting the environment everyone will switch to an electric vehicle in the future.

• Informative
Greetings!

Maybe this isn't an issue for many people/families, but my wife truly dislikes driving my M3 RWD. She drives a 2011 BMW 335d (diesel engine - lots of torque), and it has been her car since new, now with almost 75K miles. I encourage her to drive my car as often as she wants, suggesting that eventually it may be a good idea to replace her car with another EV. "Not me!" is her response.

She finds the Tesla "like driving an iPad", and she hates it. Doesn't care about crash ratings, all the unique features, etc. Just flat out refuses to drive the M3 unless she has to. I'm kind of surprised, but if she likes her car so be it.

What concerns me a bit is that she hasn't driven it much since we bought it nearly 11 months ago, and almost all of the miles on the M3 are from my driving. We take it with us on trips, and I truly enjoy driving it. Since she doesn't have lots of experience with the car, almost none with autopilot, she really doesn't know how to drive it optimally, or how to use all the features. I'm modestly concerned that if something happened to me, she may not be able to drive it (she also doesn't use the phone app - just the "credit card"). Se've discussed this, and she reluctantly drives it when I prod her, but only for short distances and she really doesn't look comfortable when she drives it.

Anyone else have a significant other that isn't an EV fan?
Your experience parallels mine. I think I got off on the wrong foot when I told her not to use the brake. I should have let her drive it as a regular car. I agree with you that our spouses need to be able to drive the car in case the owner experiences a medical problem.

Greetings!

Maybe this isn't an issue for many people/families, but my wife truly dislikes driving my M3 RWD. She drives a 2011 BMW 335d (diesel engine - lots of torque), and it has been her car since new, now with almost 75K miles. I encourage her to drive my car as often as she wants, suggesting that eventually it may be a good idea to replace her car with another EV. "Not me!" is her response.

She finds the Tesla "like driving an iPad", and she hates it. Doesn't care about crash ratings, all the unique features, etc. Just flat out refuses to drive the M3 unless she has to. I'm kind of surprised, but if she likes her car so be it.

What concerns me a bit is that she hasn't driven it much since we bought it nearly 11 months ago, and almost all of the miles on the M3 are from my driving. We take it with us on trips, and I truly enjoy driving it. Since she doesn't have lots of experience with the car, almost none with autopilot, she really doesn't know how to drive it optimally, or how to use all the features. I'm modestly concerned that if something happened to me, she may not be able to drive it (she also doesn't use the phone app - just the "credit card"). Se've discussed this, and she reluctantly drives it when I prod her, but only for short distances and she really doesn't look comfortable when she drives it.

Anyone else have a significant other that isn't an EV fan?
Wow. You are so lucky. What's the secret sauce that you made to feed them folks so they dislike your car? Of course you realize with less people (other than you) there's 100% decrease in accidents happening to your 3? Bottle it and sell it. You will make enough to buy a fleet of Teslas.

Your experience parallels mine. I think I got off on the wrong foot when I told her not to use the brake. I should have let her drive it as a regular car. I agree with you that our spouses need to be able to drive the car in case the owner experiences a medical problem.

The OP of this thread decided to get rid of the model 3 and go back to ICE (the thread you bumped is almost 2 years old at this point).